February 16, 2019, 08:48:59 AM

Author Topic: What're you listening to right now?  (Read 163796 times)

donovan

Re: What're you listening to right now?
« Reply #660 on: July 22, 2017, 12:24:07 PM »
Bon Iver:

Wisconsin pride! (Where's nomadicmadda when you need her?) Bon Iver was in Seoul last year performing but I missed the chance to see him. Big 실수 on my part resulting in much 후회~ :cry:

Offline notreadyyet82

• Explorer
« Reply #661 on: September 22, 2017, 06:27:49 AM »
Dance off Macklemore ft idris Elba

Offline SteveBruce

• Veteran
« Reply #662 on: September 22, 2017, 07:27:19 AM »
Been listening to nothing but UK Drill recently #gang

Offline theman3285

• Super Waygook
« Reply #663 on: September 22, 2017, 07:43:59 AM »
Neutral Milk Hotel on repeat for the last week.

Airplane album is boss - always a joy to come back to.

Anyone dig Brand New? First album in 8 years. Totally worth the wait.

Otherwise, I've been spinning:

Ben Gibbard's new solo stuff
New alt j (and old alt j, and older alt j, alt j for life, srsly)
Latest CYHSY (The Tourist, rad album)
MISSIO (mainly at gym)
Latest Cold War Kids (mainly when I'm cleaning my apartment. It helps somehow)

Biggest disappointment(s) of 2017:

AF and MO. You know who you are :rolleyes:

Offline DMZabductee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #664 on: September 22, 2017, 07:51:16 AM »
Caught myself humming this lately

Offline travelinpantsgirl

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
  • It is as it never was...
« Reply #665 on: September 22, 2017, 07:52:51 AM »
I'll probably go down as total dork and only person on waygook listening to Jrock.
XJapan (really disgusted I didn't discover them in high school)
L'Arc-en-Ciel
One OK Rock (I like them but they're a little strange with their American girl fetishes)
But mostly I feel like the music composition, drumming, and guitaring of XJapan is amazeballs.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 07:58:30 AM by travelinpantsgirl »
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

Offline shanebarry1986

• Super Waygook
« Reply #666 on: September 22, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
New Satyricon album out today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMEaLSizXXM

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #667 on: September 22, 2017, 08:31:11 AM »
Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar.
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #668 on: September 22, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
I'll probably go down as total dork and only person on waygook listening to Jrock.
L'Arc-en-Ciel
One OK Rock (I like them but they're a little strange with their American girl fetishes)
But mostly I feel like the music composition, drumming, and guitaring of XJapan is amazeballs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrc2M7cNPWk

Having lived in Japan, all of those are on my playlists. XJapan especially: I really love their instrumentals! Siam Shade, also a Japanese rock band, has similarly awesome instrumentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmA0ti5qso

Offline CJ

• Super Waygook
« Reply #669 on: September 22, 2017, 02:54:41 PM »
I made a nice little playlist of shoegazing/dream pop bands such as: Mazzy Sat, My Bloody Valentine, early Verve, Slowdive, Cocteau Twins, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Lush and Galaxie 500

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #670 on: September 22, 2017, 03:18:18 PM »
Awesome! I'll check them out. If you have any other Jrock suggestions, I'll take them. I tried Gackt, the sound is okay but not exactly my thing.

L'Arc-en-Ciel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrc2M7cNPWk

Having lived in Japan, all of those are on my playlists. XJapan especially: I really love their instrumentals! Siam Shade, also a Japanese rock band, has similarly awesome instrumentals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHmA0ti5qso

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #671 on: September 22, 2017, 03:26:31 PM »
Literally right now, bluegrass covers. I love bluegrass, so I really enjoy listening to covers. The song on right now is an Offspring cover.

Following the JRock topic, I used to listen to a lot that my friend got me into back in high school. I dropped some of the ones she gave me, but I still listen to some of them, like those that travelingpantsgirl mentioned. When I went to Japan the last time, I holed up in a music store for a little while and just checked out a bunch of bands.

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #672 on: September 22, 2017, 03:34:01 PM »
Halo, I've fallen into the rabbit hole of visualkei. Even though it's popularity is fading I absolutely love it. Honestly, if I can see XJapan at Tokyo Dome once, I'll have finally crossed an item off my bucket list.

Literally right now, bluegrass covers. I love bluegrass, so I really enjoy listening to covers. The song on right now is an Offspring cover.

Following the JRock topic, I used to listen to a lot that my friend got me into back in high school. I dropped some of the ones she gave me, but I still listen to some of them, like those that travelingpantsgirl mentioned. When I went to Japan the last time, I holed up in a music store for a little while and just checked out a bunch of bands.

Offline HaLo3

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #673 on: September 22, 2017, 03:36:21 PM »
Halo, I've fallen into the rabbit hole of visualkei. Even though it's popularity is fading I absolutely love it. Honestly, if I can see XJapan at Tokyo Dome once, I'll have finally crossed an item off my bucket list.

Yeah, I have seen a few. I'm from Seattle area, so Japanese bands come from time to time because of our Asian population (and proximity to Vancouver's Asian pop) and I probably because we're the closest starting off point, haha. My friend and I went to go see a fair amount of visualkei bands, but never xJapan.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #674 on: September 22, 2017, 03:37:42 PM »
Awesome! I'll check them out. If you have any other Jrock suggestions, I'll take them. I tried Gackt, the sound is okay but not exactly my thing.
Not quite J-rock, but anything by Nobuo Uematsu is gonna be great for listening etc.

Mike Shinoda has some solo work (Fort Minor), and while he's American, he's also Japanese-American, and it definitely shines through. Leans more towards hip-hop though.

"Bump of Chicken" is pretty cool. The band name is actually Banpu Obu Chikin, meaning "counter-attack from the weak man", but... yeah. Bump of Chicken. :laugh:

Shonen Knife is also pretty neat: kind of a punk/alternative/pop/garage band sound.

If you like "The Rainbow" then you'll probably also like "Gley" which was also originally a visual kei band.  :smiley:

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • The Legend
« Reply #675 on: September 22, 2017, 03:37:51 PM »
Jealous! I don't have many band names so if you want to send some my way, I'd really appreciate it.  ;D

Yeah, I have seen a few. I'm from Seattle area, so Japanese bands come from time to time because of our Asian population (and proximity to Vancouver's Asian pop) and I probably because we're the closest starting off point, haha. My friend and I went to go see a fair amount of visualkei bands, but never xJapan.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #676 on: September 22, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
lcd soundsystem - how do you sleep??

is the best song i've heard in a long time

Offline rhchris1

• Veteran
« Reply #677 on: September 22, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »
Luv is Rage 2 by Lil Uzi Vert.  Extremely into mumble rap these days. 

Offline Kolao

• Veteran
« Reply #678 on: October 18, 2017, 04:07:20 PM »
"Truckin'": The Grateful Dead

Oops: Cat Scratch Fever, Ted Nugent
When the wicked are confounded, and consigned to flames of woe, call me.

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #679 on: October 19, 2017, 06:01:29 AM »
Ray Charles' "Unchain My Heart":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0lCxoF88jU&list=RDQ0lCxoF88jU#t=9

G'morning!  ;D