February 16, 2019, 09:07:46 AM

Author Topic: What're you listening to right now?  (Read 163806 times)

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
Re: What're you listening to right now?
« Reply #600 on: April 11, 2017, 03:24:21 PM »
Currently drowning out Korea with the latest from Power Trip - Nightmare Logic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOWf8uqGf8A

Hadn't heard these before; I liked that!

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #601 on: April 11, 2017, 04:23:34 PM »
^that looks like a right workout!  Keep soldiering on. 

This is my favorite guitar cover of Radical Dreamers (my ultimate favorite is a string quintet version).  Dude plays the guitar part and the melody simultaneously.  Here I am plinking along and would just be happy to play the guitar part alone, hahah.  :cry:

Holy crap, I'd never seen that before. Fantastic!

There's just something about Yasunori Mitsuda's work that's always resonated with me. I know Uematsu is the more popular composer, but I've always thought Mitsuda's works were much better.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #602 on: April 11, 2017, 05:59:23 PM »

This is my favorite guitar cover of Radical Dreamers (my ultimate favorite is a string quintet version).  Dude plays the guitar part and the melody simultaneously.  Here I am plinking along and would just be happy to play the guitar part alone, hahah.  :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BblyVkTH-XY

There's just something about Yasunori Mitsuda's work that's always resonated with me. I know Uematsu is the more popular composer, but I've always thought Mitsuda's works were much better.

We could legit be music buddies.  I enjoy listening to stuff by composers like Uematsu and Koji Kondo but there's just something truly evocative about Mitsuda's music.  I'm also a sucker for strings, so I especially love the Chrono Cross soundtrack.  It gets me back into violin every now and again. 

I've got the intro down pat concerning Radical Dreamers but I gotta learn the different endings to the repeated sequence.  And build up stamina to actually play the whole song through at once.  Woo~ Guitar tires out my hand pretty easily  :-[

Also, here's the quintet version.  Simply gorgeous:

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #603 on: April 11, 2017, 09:30:11 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BblyVkTH-XY

We could legit be music buddies.  I enjoy listening to stuff by composers like Uematsu and Koji Kondo but there's just something truly evocative about Mitsuda's music.  I'm also a sucker for strings, so I especially love the Chrono Cross soundtrack.  It gets me back into violin every now and again. 

I've got the intro down pat concerning Radical Dreamers but I gotta learn the different endings to the repeated sequence.  And build up stamina to actually play the whole song through at once.  Woo~ Guitar tires out my hand pretty easily  :-[

Also, here's the quintet version.  Simply gorgeous:

I generally think Chrono Cross had the best soundtrack of any game, because it has a few truly standout tracks, but more importantly every piece feels so well fitted to its enviroment. Shadow forest, Termina, Away overworld, etc.

FFIX would come second for me.

Beyond that, yeah, I'm pretty big into Koji Kondo, Shoji Meguro, and Nobuo Uematsu. More recently, I've really been enjoying Yoko Shimomura (eve if she relies on piano too much), Ace+, and Masayoshi Sokken.

FFXIV's soundtrack is a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways. I love the variety in the theme music for the primals (summons).

And get it! I'm kinda envious. I can't play any guitar and I gave up last time I tried learning because I was struggling so bad. I'd love to be able to some day play a variation of Time's Scar.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 09:33:09 PM by gprinziv »

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #604 on: April 12, 2017, 09:02:30 AM »
I generally think Chrono Cross had the best soundtrack of any game, because it has a few truly standout tracks, but more importantly every piece feels so well fitted to its enviroment. Shadow forest, Termina, Away overworld, etc.

Beyond that, yeah, I'm pretty big into Koji Kondo, Shoji Meguro, and Nobuo Uematsu. More recently, I've really been enjoying Yoko Shimomura (eve if she relies on piano too much), Ace+, and Masayoshi Sokken.

FFXIV's soundtrack is a breath of fresh air in a lot of ways. I love the variety in the theme music for the primals (summons).

And get it! I'm kinda envious. I can't play any guitar and I gave up last time I tried learning because I was struggling so bad. I'd love to be able to some day play a variation of Time's Scar.

Agreed, every theme feels atmospherically sound.  The only song that I wasn't too keen on was the normal battle theme (it's exciting but a bit funky) but I don't dispute that it fits. 

I'll have to check out those other composers.  Also, the intro to Time's Scar is pretty doable compared to the other guitar songs in CC, at least with the tab I used.  If you get bored where you are, try picking up guitar again!  I could probably still find that tab somewhere, I think I used one off of Gametabs.net

Offline gprinziv

• Adventurer
« Reply #605 on: April 12, 2017, 12:10:40 PM »

Agreed, every theme feels atmospherically sound.  The only song that I wasn't too keen on was the normal battle theme (it's exciting but a bit funky) but I don't dispute that it fits. 

I'll have to check out those other composers.  Also, the intro to Time's Scar is pretty doable compared to the other guitar songs in CC, at least with the tab I used.  If you get bored where you are, try picking up guitar again!  I could probably still find that tab somewhere, I think I used one off of Gametabs.net

Yeah I might actually have that tb on my hard drives, haha.

Also, the main battle theme is a bit odd sometimes, but the boss theme more than makes up for it. I love the tension and urgency of it.

Offline eastreef

• Super Waygook
« Reply #606 on: April 12, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »
J. Geils Band Live at Holy Cross - November 1972

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq79uJ58eAM

Saw them twice. 

If they make it past 30, rock stars now seem to have a problem of getting past the 70 - 72 year mark. John Warren Geils Jr., dead at 71.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/music/news/j-geils-of-1980s-j-geils-band-found-dead-in-his-groton-mass-home/ar-BBzJMZH?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=LENDHP

I guess all the partying does catch up.  Makes it even more remarkable what Richards, Jagger and Watts are doing….

“All of this has happened before, and will happen again.”

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #607 on: April 13, 2017, 08:09:15 AM »
on thurs & fri i have about an hour and a half each way to my travel school, so i started listening to a full album each day. kendrick lamar is dropping a new album in a day or two, so today i've got To Pimp a Butterfly on in anticipation of his new piece
too many blueprints & not enough architects

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #608 on: April 13, 2017, 09:08:21 AM »
Metal. A never-ending stream of metal to drown out Korea. Carcass, Gorguts, Gojira, Cobalt, HORRENDOUS, Tribulation, Vektor, Power Trip, Sumerlands, Wormed, Meshuggah, Mastodon, Arctic Thunder, some Australian bands. I'm forgetting the names. I just look up best-of lists for various years and go to town with the downloading. Sorry poor metal bands! I promise if you ever show up in my town in Korea, I'll go to your show.

Regarding the video games. Some of Square's stuff is OK, but Megaman 2 has held the title of best video game soundtrack since it's release in the 80s. It's never been topped and I feel it unlikely to ever be topped since we'll never have a return to the days when video game musicians had to do so much with so little. Games back then were smaller than a single MP3 file is today.

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #609 on: April 13, 2017, 10:11:56 AM »
Metal bands these days for me too  8)

What do you think about the new Mastodon album?  I'd say it's one of my favourites even though they're going in an even more proggy direction.

I'm getting into a lot of Polish black metal these days too.  The Batushka album is very good!  Also Wędrujący Wiatr for bleaker and low-fi stuff.

Oh and Sunn O))).  I'd known about them for years but never really listened to them much.  Obsessed with them at the moment!  Not really a metal band but still weird and good haha.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #610 on: April 13, 2017, 10:12:18 AM »
Aw yes, Megaman has some fine music indeed. 

Offline turningsteel

• Super Waygook
« Reply #611 on: April 13, 2017, 10:38:44 AM »
Found 키라라 and 양광토끼(Neon Bunny) recently. Really, really like them.  It's electronic music that reminds of something like Made In Heights. There are a lot of good Korean musicians out there that get sidelined due to the focus on KPOP. 

Offline Lurch

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #612 on: April 13, 2017, 11:25:05 AM »
What do you think about the new Mastodon album?  I'd say it's one of my favourites even though they're going in an even more proggy direction.

I've only heard one track and I didn't think much of it. Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye will always be my favorites. Albums after those had some stand out tracks and great videos, but I thought the consistency was real iffy. The kind of albums where I skip half the songs.

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #613 on: April 13, 2017, 12:34:31 PM »
If the song you heard was "Show Yourself", that's not a good representation of the whole Emperor of Sand album. In fact it would be up there as one of the worst songs they've ever done. The album is much better than that.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline The Arm

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #614 on: April 13, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »

I've only heard one track and I didn't think much of it. Leviathan, Blood Mountain and Crack the Skye will always be my favorites. Albums after those had some stand out tracks and great videos, but I thought the consistency was real iffy. The kind of albums where I skip half the songs.

Yea I agree with you about the post Crack the Skye albums.  The Hunter and Once More Round the Sun were both quite patchy but still had some amazing songs.  The new album might be too much of a departure from their earlier stuff if that's what you like more.

If the song you heard was "Show Yourself", that's not a good representation of the whole Emperor of Sand album. In fact it would be up there as one of the worst songs they've ever done. The album is much better than that.

That song got A LOT of flack and I can understand why.  I really liked it though.  It's poppy but I think it's quite groovy like Curl of the Burl which I love.  I also really like it when Brann sings!

God I love talking about Mastodon  ;D ;D

Offline Nokcha

• Super Waygook
« Reply #615 on: April 13, 2017, 01:11:33 PM »
Listening to John Mayer in my office with my noise reduction Bose headphones so I don't have to hear my co-teachers snoring.....both are sound asleep. FNA

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #616 on: April 13, 2017, 01:23:03 PM »
The #2 song in America this week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7F37r50VUTQ

Offline kriztee

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #617 on: April 13, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »
In one ear, the new Jeff Rosenstock album. In the other, the grinding and squeaking of the world's oldest laminating machine.

Offline yirj17

• The Legend
« Reply #618 on: April 13, 2017, 02:48:29 PM »
Kesha deconstructed, Katy Perry acoustic, Pink, and some All American Rejects along with misc. mid 2000s pop songs.  Woo

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #619 on: April 13, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »
I'm sitting in on bass at a jazz/funk gig for the first time this Friday. The jazz aspect of that is waaaaaaay outside of my comfort zone as a musician, so I've been cramming my head with it all week. I've been listening to stuff by Freddie Hubbard, Wayne Shorter, Miles Davis, Sonny Rollins, Eddie Harris, Cannonball Adderly, and Weather Report.

I'm not super confident about it yet, but it should still be... interesting. It'll be a learning experience, at very least.