June 22, 2018, 07:03:49 PM

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 134921 times)

Offline klorptar

• Veteran
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2011, 11:08:27 AM »
Go back to the "Lesson Plans" section, and then click "middle school". There should be a thread for that specific text book with some ideas for you. Good luck.

Offline jayd22j

• Waygookin
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2011, 09:13:30 AM »
I'm doing a Parent's Day/ Mother's Day lesson. I have a ppt that explains the difference between Parent's Day and Mother's Day/Father's Day. Then we'll make cards for the students' parents. Pretty easy and fun. I put some expressions on the ppt that the students can use to put on their cards.

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #122 on: May 03, 2011, 02:15:20 PM »
Anyone have any ideas on Grade 3 Lesson 4?

I'm at a loss but want to do something fun for the students after their midterms.

I made a game to practice the dialogue from p56. I usually have enough boards for 3 teams of 2 people each as their tables are in groups of 6.

Teams take turns to flick a coin from the airplane to land on any of the squares on the map. Complete the dialogue and 'own' the square. (The other team may steal the square if they land on it later on and can make a new variation of the dialoge).

When time is up add up how many points you have from squares that you own.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:28:17 PM by pippo11 »

Offline sambelina78

• Veteran
« Reply #123 on: May 03, 2011, 02:30:34 PM »
Grade 2 - Chapter 2 - A caring friend.

I am a little behind with some classes due to my timetable being changed 3 times this semester. Anyway, here is my contribution for the friendship chapter. I took some ideas of another poster on here, chucked it into my PPT and added a song.

Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805

Offline sambelina78

• Veteran
« Reply #124 on: May 03, 2011, 02:36:29 PM »
Grade 3 - chapter 2 - Cupid's Arrow

This is what i did for grade 3. focuses on as soon as and statues

the as soon as worksheet i gave out at the end - only one class so far i have had time for them to do this.

on the as soon as slide where there are 3 sentences, i ask the students to explain what they mean. they struggle to explain in full sentences, but when i ask them questions like when can i be there, when can i send the money and when can i let her know, they can answer me.

they liked the statues game at the end. i get them into groups.

the lesson was put together at the last minute, but seems to have worked well so far.

Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805

Offline jdog1234

• Explorer
« Reply #125 on: May 04, 2011, 10:49:13 AM »
I liked the may holidays ppt. perfect for my skill level. Thanks

Offline cfish0326

• Waygookin
« Reply #126 on: May 04, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
Any ideas for Grade 1 Lesson 4 Shopping in Insadong or
Grade 2 Lesson 4 A Great Trip to South Africa? 

Offline jdog1234

• Explorer
« Reply #127 on: May 04, 2011, 12:08:10 PM »
this is my lesson plan for grade 3 lesson 4.  I cover the lesson over two weeks and this is week one.

Ice Breaker-show picture of Salvador Daliís sleep.  Ask questions.

Ex: What is this?- It is a painting
    What do you see in the painting?-various answers
    How does it make you feel?-various answers
    Explain the name of the painting is ďsleepĒ.  Ask why the artist would name his painting this

Warmup- pg 54-55
Ask students what each painting makes them think of

Main lesson-Listen and Speak I and II

Worksheet-*give to students
           * Roam to help students/ make sure they are completing it
           * go over it together

1. My head hurts. ____ ___________ ____ ___________ a doctor.

2. I have a degree in engineering _______ ________ _______ _____ about engineering.

3. I eat kimchi everyday.  _______ _________ ______ kimchi.

4. I am 100 years old.  _______ _________ _____ old.

5. I snowboard every weekend. _______ _________ ______ snowboarding.

6 I want to see the Statue of Liberty. _____ ___________ ____ ___________ New York.

Part B- Rewrite each sentence.

1._____________________________________________________________________

2._____________________________________________________________________

3._____________________________________________________________________

4._____________________________________________________________________

5._____________________________________________________________________

6._____________________________________________________________________

Offline deltablues

• Adventurer
« Reply #128 on: May 04, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »
Here's my Grade 1 Lesson 4 (Shopping at Insadong)

The worksheet is just for students to make a conversation in groups using the shopping dialogue.  I drew a box around the italic words before photocopying since i couldn't figure out how to put a box around them in Korean Word.

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #129 on: May 05, 2011, 11:34:57 PM »
Grade 3, Lesson 4: Beyond the Paintings

Here is my lesson for lesson 4. (LL is low level, HL is high level, in case that confused anyone).

Good luck!~

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #130 on: May 06, 2011, 10:09:20 AM »
Grade 2 Lesson 4.
(non textbook class...sort of relates to the lesson theme)

I've only done this in one class so far, but it went over well.
Do you remember doing MASH (mansion, apartment, shack, house) as a kid? It's basically one of those.

On the PPT are some warm-up riddles, then I first do an example together with the students on the board. Then I hand out the worksheets and have them complete all the blanks.
Then I show them with my example how to get your magic number and predict your future travels.

If anyone's unclear how it works, just google or wikipedia it, but here's a brief run-down:
After all the blanks are filled in (encourage them to put funny answers), they will draw a spiral until their partner says "stop." Counting the lines of the spiral from to to bottom gives the magic number. Students then count through their answers (including the M.A.S.H. at the top) and eliminate every (magic number)th item until only one is left from each group.

At the end I had students stand up and present their future travel plans.

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #131 on: May 06, 2011, 10:12:35 AM »
2 things: I demonstrate using full sentences so that I get more than 1-word answers at the end of class.

Also, on the first page of 4) What will you do? I introduce the word 'sightseeing'.

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #132 on: May 09, 2011, 02:07:06 PM »
Hey Ottakhae, I really liked your Beyond the Paintings PPT, but your second document for download is blank I think, I'd love to be able to use it though if you wouldn't mind reposting it!

Offline jayd22j

• Waygookin
« Reply #133 on: May 09, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
Hey everyone,

I need to ask a huge favor. I was sick all of last week so I wasn't able to do my Parent's Day Lesson with my school. A shame, but my real problem is that I didn't have a chance to look at my textbooks to plan for this coming week. Does anyone mind posting the main grammar points and phrases used in Lesson 4 for Grades 1, 2, and 3? I'm trying to get a better feel for the lesson so I can plan some material. A thousand thank you's to anyone who can offer some assistance!

Offline phathank

• Waygookin
« Reply #134 on: May 10, 2011, 06:36:15 PM »
I need to vent a little so:

Is anyone else driven TO DISTRACTION by the CDs for these books, I mean the audio CDs to play the conversations, which aren't normal audio CDs but have their own stupid player incorporated on them them. If I have to change between CDs between classes, it takes the best part of five minutes as it flashes up error messages about there being so disk, won't let you close the program until you put the original disk back then takes 5 minutes to load the player to play the new disk. IT MAKES ME VERY ANGRY!!

There, that feels much better!

I'm using these books too, only for a couple of days though. If I'm thinking of the same books, you can install the CD-ROM onto the hard drive, with all the audio etc. on it, so you don't have to put the disks in each time.. that's what my co-teacher has done with mine.

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
My apologies for the blank post.

Grade 3, Lesson 4

Listening Test Script

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2011, 03:24:16 PM »
Hi Everyone-

This is what I am doing for the second week of a great trip to South Africa. I modified another ppt that someone posted on this site that isn't for the Kim books, but I changed it to use our phrases and things. After the ppt I am playing a vocabulary relay game on the board for about 15 or twenty minutes. I have the teams in teams of four, I should out a  category and then members of each team come up and write in a word for that category and it continues until one team has has had each member come up.

Also, thanks for the updated file ottekahe!

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2011, 09:51:06 AM »
grade 3 - lesson 4. For the Listen and Speak portion i made this simple script with different events. after i review the section i pass out this sheet, i have them practice with each other for a couple minutes then i use the random number cannon to pick person A and person B. they come up and read one at a time. Pretty standard but it works well.

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:36 PM »
Here is my second lesson for Beyond the Paintings. I just mostly focused on the phrase " I am thinking of..." First I am going through the dialogue and answering the questions. The first few slides I want students to guess what the character/person is thinking of doing to get a variety of answer and listening and repeating. For the final part I will call out random numbers to have students make up their own sentence using the scenario on the ppt.

Offline deltablues

• Adventurer
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »
Goodness knows how this will go over in class, but I made a BAAM game for grade 3 Lesson 5 inspired by the game in this thread http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,1301.0.html

This is based on the "would you mind/can you/could you" language.  Basically someone on the team has to ask the question, and someone on the team has to do the favor to get points.  Favors include drawing things on the board, dancing, singing, doing jumping jacks.