August 22, 2018, 05:18:20 AM

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 135831 times)

Offline jpscorpio

• Waygookin
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #260 on: November 09, 2011, 02:54:00 PM »
Hi guys, waygook has saved my skin countless times and I guess it's time I returned the favor.

Like many of you, I struggle each week to think of new and creative lessons using the textbook, and with varying success.

It's the first lesson I'm posting so please be kind! ;)

It's a 2 part lesson for  2nd grade Interesting Differences, and in the 1st we start with the textbook and go through the activities for about 10 minutes.
Then close the book and showed the picture of the woman and the man greeting each other. We discuss briefly about differences in culture and move onto the other pictures (I used the pictures from the book because they'd already talked about it in my co-teacher's class).

We go through the pictures and elicit certain vocabulary words. Then I handout the mix and match picture sheet along with a cut up set of the worksheet. I explain to the students they must match the sentences with the pictures and complete the sentences.

I did this lesson today and worked out pretty well, but had some time management issues because they are quite low level.

Of course, you can tailor this to your own class and maybe change the sentences etc..anyway any feedback is appreciated :)

Offline jpscorpio

• Waygookin
« Reply #261 on: November 09, 2011, 03:03:10 PM »
So the 2nd part of the lesson is using another set of pictures (I used 6 but you can use more or change them) and this time had them make their own sentences and gave them the vocabulary sheets to help them.

It is quite challenging even for my higher level students, but it worked quite well. Also, I thought it was good to get their perspectives on what the picture represents and it was interesting to see their reactions to Western cultures too.

At the end, each group can say what one or all the pictures show depending on the time.

Hope this is useful and works well.

Offline BenBunsell

• Newgookin
« Reply #262 on: November 10, 2011, 02:21:52 PM »
Hi, I work in a Boy's Middle School so any games you guys might have are always useful :) I will try and post some of my own once I figure this site out properly.

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #263 on: November 10, 2011, 03:12:53 PM »
Ben,

There are a lot of good templates on here, from angry birds to game-show type stuff. They're good for reviewing a lesson, or several lessons when test time comes around (it's just a matter of changing the pictures and questions).

I've played heads-up-seven-up a bit, getting 7 students at the front and choosing classmates (who have their heads down, eyes closed, and thumbs up), who must then guess using whatever expression we learned that day. Students who guess successfully get to pick for the next round.

Getting groups to write/present a dialogue can be tricky. It becomes much easier when there's a handout for the students to work from, and you can buy some cheap candy for the best group for some incentive (tip: tell students that the group who listens best gets candy too!).

I haven't tried this game since I first arrived (used it to quiz the About Me class), but maybe it would work. Start with all the students standing. Ask a quiz question. Whoever's hand shoots up first gets a chance to guess, and if they guess correctly everyone else in their row must sit down (is out). For the next round make it everyone in the same column. An elimination game, and at some point you can pit one side of the class against the other. Last standing wins.

Anyone else have some ideas to share?

Offline R.J.Revnyak

• Waygookin
« Reply #264 on: November 11, 2011, 03:07:57 PM »
Hey guys. So I usually do a bomb game for the last class of each lesson. Using the Starcraft template (kudos and thanks to the creators), here's Middle 1, Lesson 11: Read-a-thon: Reading to Help Others. Should be familiar enough (but uses a scoreboard slide). Some of the vocab is extraneous to the lesson, so you may want to change it to avoid any blank stares.

Offline R.J.Revnyak

• Waygookin
« Reply #265 on: November 11, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
And here's Middle 2, Lesson 10: A Day in the Tundra. Same thing: should be familiar enough (but uses a scoreboard slide). Some of the vocab is extraneous to the lesson, so you may want to change it to avoid any blank stares.

Offline R.J.Revnyak

• Waygookin
« Reply #266 on: November 11, 2011, 03:19:12 PM »
And here's Middle 3, Lesson 10: A Sticky Little Invention. Same thing: should be familiar enough (but uses a scoreboard slide). Some of the vocab is extraneous to the lesson, so you may want to change it to avoid any blank stares.

Sorry for the multiple posts. Didn't want to break my computer via one massive upload.

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #267 on: November 15, 2011, 03:01:19 PM »
Grade 2. I posted a previous lesson about world biomes and the conversation from lesson 10.
This one starts by reviewing the biomes (with a worksheet so students note the important vocabulary),
and then talks about 4 festivals around the world (out of textbook).
I'm in a couple of the slides, so those would need adjusting, otherwise it's fairly straight forward.
We brainstorm Korean festivals following the dog/tiger video (just threw that in to get students paying attention again--nothing like some biomes to put them to sleep)

I haven't been doing the 'typical person' video but left it in there since you could probably do something useful with it in a future class.

Offline Alida

• Waygookin
« Reply #268 on: November 16, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »
Lesson 11:

Grade 1: Use of "going to" and "when"
At the end students have to make three sentences of things they are going to do at three different ages on cards (it can be any ages, the three given are just examples) like: I'm going to go to university when I am 20. When I am 105, I'm going to die. Students then give all the cards to the teachers and then there is an activity where one student draws a random card, reads it out loud and then he/she must guess who it is. That person then draws the next card.
Grade 2: Cultural differences
It's just pictures so you will have to explain the differences. A good coteacher who understands the differences is also necessary here to explain and handle questions. If there is time at the end, students must write down 1. What did they find the weirdest/strangest difference? 2. Where is Korea better? 3. Where is Western countries better? This is then discussed in class.

Offline Alida

• Waygookin
« Reply #269 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:47 AM »
Lesson 11

Lesson from last week for grade 1:
I printed out the slides from "Can I help you" six on a page and gave every student one. Then we played pass the pencil and where it stops the student has to read the dialogue with the person next to them. (I first did a 2min lesson on how to make the dialogues using the whiteboard, so no slides on that) I played the game for 20 minutes and then did pass the pencil with the second ppt for 10 min, where the pencil stopped students had to make the missing sentence starting with "can you..." My coteacher and I helped a lot with making the sentences for some students although other students could do it easily. For music I used Rihanna's "SOS" and Beatles' "Help, I need somebody"

Offline Alida

• Waygookin
« Reply #270 on: November 16, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »
sorry, here are the ppts

Offline jpscorpio

• Waygookin
« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
For Grade 3 Lesson 11: Confusing colours, I used images of "the stroop effect" (do a image search on google) and used those images and they practiced with their partner on who can say it the fastest, first using the "normal" way (where the word and the colour are the same). Then passed round another set of pictures "confusing" ones (where the word and the colour are different) and saw who can say it faster.

Then I got a few students to say it aloud at the front.

With a few minutes left over, I used one that was written in Korean just for fun, and I thought it worked better.

Everyone had a few laughs along the way!

Offline jpscorpio

• Waygookin
« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2011, 11:01:47 AM »
2nd Grade Lesson 11: Interesting differences, on week 1 (see above) I did worksheets where they had to mix and match the sentences and the pictures, then another set of pictures where they had to create sentences for themselves.

On week 2, I followed up this lesson with the students reading aloud one of the pictures (either set) then each group had to mime each Western and Eastern scenarios after a pot luck draw. The rest of the group then had to guess which picture it is by saying the sentences.

I think it worked well cos the students could be creative, but some of them were really easy for them to act and guess..

Offline sambelina78

• Veteran
« Reply #273 on: November 22, 2011, 04:03:49 PM »
sambelina, thanks for posting for 3rd grade lesson 10! it looks great! however, i'm a little confused about the game. :( i feel dumb. how many cards does each student start with? what is considered a "full set"?
[/quote

sorry it has taken me so long to reply - just noticed this now.

The number of cards each student has depends how many students you have in your class. I usually have around 25. so i guess i give each student 3 picure cards and 3 word cards. a full set is there the correct pairs. the picture cards i give out at first should NOT match the word cards - students have to go an find words to match their pictures (or vice versa, however you prefer)

hope that makes sense!
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805

Offline phathank

• Waygookin
« Reply #274 on: December 01, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
Hi guys,

My grade 2 students have their exams next week so I made this revision game. I took the template off waygook a while ago and changed the questions. It's a nice game with good graphics.. my middle school boys love it. There are 30 questions, so I usually play it with 5 teams.

Their exam will be on lesson 10 and 11 from the book, so the questions are based on that. The majority should be relevant to any who have done these chapters from this book but there are a couple of questions which are specific to things I've done in my classes and we've put in the exam (a focus on UK/US English differences) so you might want to change a couple of questions.

I've done a slightly more difficult version for my 'advanced' class and an easier one for my lower level.

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #275 on: December 14, 2011, 02:48:18 PM »
Anyone have any awesome ideas for 2nd grade, lesson 12?

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #276 on: February 24, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
Everyone ready for the new school year? I'm totally not ready, especially since I just found out I'm going to be teaching the third grade for the first time (and there was me thinking I could just recycle all of last years stuff!)

Anyway I thought I'd put up all my stuff from last year in a couple of zip files just in case anyone finds it useful. It can't guarantee it doesn't suck, if fact some of it definitely does, but you might find it a useful base to make something much better from. I follow a pretty set pattern of one week on the conversation page of the book and one week of something vaguely related to the topic of the chapter.

They're too big to be hosted on this site so I've put them on file dropper, hope they're useful to someone, any questions don't hesitate to ask! (and if anyone wants to do the same with their third grade lessons from last year I'd be eternally grateful!)

http://www.filedropper.com/1stgrade2011

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:33:53 AM by Rowanteacher »

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #277 on: February 24, 2012, 11:54:21 AM »
2nd grade is taking forever to upload, it might have to wait until monday.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #278 on: February 27, 2012, 03:23:03 PM »
And still the 2nd grade lesson is uploading very slowly I'm going to do it from home.

In the meantime anyone else using these books this year say aye. Let's see who we have on our team this year!

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #279 on: March 02, 2012, 07:31:40 AM »
No one else at all on these books this year!?