June 20, 2018, 09:19:45 PM

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 134855 times)

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:42 AM »
I feel like my past couple of lessons have been t-errible. So, I'm really trying to make the lesson for next week a smash.

Unfortunately, next week is for Grade 2 Lesson 3. Last year, I did the dialogue and then did a presentation about space/planets and then they played BAAM. I don't want to do that again though because it didn't really apply to the chapter.

Anyway, could someone please tell me what they are focusing on for this lesson. I can't seem to figure out what the target language is....maybe "I wonder if blah blah blah"?

The theme is "Changing Mars into Another Earth" ..........say whaaaaaaaaat.
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

Offline CombattlerV

• Adventurer
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2011, 10:43:16 AM »
terraforming!  You could do a trivia game where they have to gain equipment to terraform Mars!  You could even arrange it where teams could borrow or steal technologies through "challenges."  Team to get all the technologies needed wins!

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2011, 03:03:32 PM »
imstuckinglue: Thanks for the worksheet idea for lesson 2. I'm still on my second class for that lesson so haven't started thinking about lesson 3, but if you're ever at a loss for what to do, just check out the emboldened language on the opening page. For lesson 3 you could focus on different situations to use the expression "will be able to...," for example. Add 'if' statements and create a worksheet/dialogue where students pair 1 thing with another ("If I finish my homework, I will be able to play computer games."). A possible activity: have 6 'If..." and 6 "will be able to" expressions. Divide the class into teams. Each team sends two students to the front and they roll a die, each saying the corresponding sentence (1-6). If they both roll a 3 (for example) they get 5 points; if their sentences are 1 off (a 4 and a 3 for example), 4 points, etc. Make sense?

And cheers to the creator of pass the pencil. I'm giving it a try tomorrow, but will include a rule from a soju drinking game most of you are probably familiar with. Instead of the person with the pencil (or in my case, water bottle, to keep them from injuring each other), the student in front and behind the person with the pencil has to read a dialogue. This keeps them from trying a last-second pass after the music, since it would then implicate them in the dialogue.

Offline Molo

• Explorer
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2011, 07:50:34 AM »
Grade 3 Lesson 2 Cupid's Arrows.

PPT to introduce the first study goal - checking information or asking people to repeat something. Quite useful skill in my book but no easy way to practice it.

After using the ppt and book p26, we will play taboo by blindfolding 2/3 kids from each group of 6 and focus on getting the kids to ask when they don't hear or don't understand something eg - Pardon me? Im sorry?

Thank you for this lesson!  I'm still a little confused with the taboo game though.  How do I set it up? Do I put teams of 6 students each, blindfold a few students, and have the rest of the students in the group give hints to what the picture is?  How are points awarded?

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2011, 07:57:37 AM »
Grade 3 Lesson 2 Cupid's Arrows.

PPT to introduce the first study goal - checking information or asking people to repeat something. Quite useful skill in my book but no easy way to practice it.

After using the ppt and book p26, we will play taboo by blindfolding 2/3 kids from each group of 6 and focus on getting the kids to ask when they don't hear or don't understand something eg - Pardon me? Im sorry?

Thank you for this lesson!  I'm still a little confused with the taboo game though.  How do I set it up? Do I put teams of 6 students each, blindfold a few students, and have the rest of the students in the group give hints to what the picture is?  How are points awarded?

I did exactly that. Groups of 6, 2 blindfolded and 7 slides each. They had a maximum of 3 minutes so it was either points per slide or the time it took to complete all 7 slides that ended up being their score. You could give a bonus point for each different "asking again' expression they use if you like.

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2011, 09:24:56 AM »
grade 3 lesson 2 (cupids arrow) i used the aforementioned PPT to introduce but all games pretty much fall flat with my 3rd grade so i made this worksheet for a listen and fill in along with the song (or music video on youtube in my case). the first is Beatles - all you need is love, the second harder song is Black Eyed Peas - Wheres the love. Basically i tied in with the book using a love theme. So my LP is - Intro PPT, L&S1 - practice, L&S2 - practice, Music worksheet fill in. the end.

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2011, 09:25:34 AM »
here is the one with the answers for us teacher folks.
and here are the two youtube links for the songs.

Beatles - All You Need Is Love video:

Black Eyed Peas - Where is the love
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 09:27:12 AM by zenbone »

Offline jdog1234

• Explorer
« Reply #67 on: March 31, 2011, 08:51:51 AM »
A power point I made for level 3 lesson 3.  Its on the concept I wish I could.. Anyone have any idea for grades 1 and 2 level 3.  I am working on them today.

Thanks

Offline jdog1234

• Explorer
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2011, 08:53:01 AM »
sorry grades 1 and 2 lesson 3

Offline keobuk2

• Waygookin
« Reply #69 on: March 31, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
If anyone else is drawing a blank for Cupid's Arrows here are a couple of ideas I'm going to try.
This week they will be doing running dictation on the text (attached). Fun for them and not a great amount of work for me.
Next week I intend on having them perform the text as a play. A lot of work to organise but it should be a lot of fun (if they are
interested - a pain if they aren't)

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2011, 05:57:03 PM »
For cupids arrow i actually just did the music video angle (above) and said it was because of love. i ran the Listen And Speak parts 1 and 2, then did the music video (song) fill in the blank. said the main theme was love so it matched cupids gimmick and then i went into comparing the outlook and attitudes of America between the 1960's of the Beatles and the 2000's of the Black Eyed Peas.

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »
starting to plan for Grade 1 lesson 3 (off of the listen and speak section) anyone got any ideas or plans that have worked in the past while i am brainstorming?

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2011, 03:48:14 PM »
I'm still planning Lesson 3 for Grades 1&3 but I will post when I finish them. Hopefully, I'll be finished by Friday.

Anyway, last year, for Grade 1 Lesson 3 I focused on hobbies/sports. The theme for Lesson 5 is sports but I work on Past Tense for that section. So, you may or may not want to do hobbies/sports for Lesson 3.

There is a ton of material out there for hobbies/sports and "Do you like...." which is what page 45 is all about.

This post wasn't very helpful BUT I hope to have something soon.
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

Offline Laura123

• Waygookin
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2011, 07:49:03 AM »
Grade 2 Lesson 3 - I Wonder!

I made this ppt for grade 2 chapter 3. Went through some key phrases, had students come up with their own sentences. Then played the song 'lemon tree'. First time they just listened and i asked them if they picked up any words or 'i wonder staements' then i handed out the lyrics with blanks and had them fill them in. Then we discussed.

Offline Laura123

• Waygookin
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2011, 07:53:06 AM »
Grade 3 Lesson 3 - I wish

PPT to go with grade 3 lesson 3. Main idea is 'I Wish'. Went through the key phrases fromt he dialogue, then gave them some example sentences and had them make up their own. The played the song by Skee-lo. 'i wish'. They had to listen twice then try to tell me what he wished.
Then I had them work in groups and come up with their own rhymes using 'I wish' sentences. The results were pretty funny!
Oh and theres a slide with a pic of me that you should probably change!!

Offline deltablues

• Adventurer
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2011, 08:56:34 AM »
I'm using this game for grade 3 lesson 2, but it's something I do a lot.

Tic-Tac-Toe:

On the board, write a sentence in each Tic-Tac-Toe square (I have an electronic whiteboard so I just make a ppt slide and project it on the whiteboard.)  For example, "I am reading a book about _Aphrodite_" "Can you tell me the way to the _Bloomsberg Theater_"

I usually write a sample dialogue on the board for guidance:
A: I am reading a book about Aphrodite.
B: A book about WHO?

Then, I split the class in half--one half is X and one is O.  One person from each team does rock-paper-scissors to see who goes first.  Then, two people at a time from each team (depending on how shy they are, they each pick the next person to go, or they volunteer, or I have to choose) go through the sample dialogue using one of the sentences from the Tic-Tac-Toe board.  Whichever sentence they use, that's the square their team gets.

This takes about 10 minutes and I've used it for lots of lessons (from "What's your hobby? I like ____" to more complicated ones like this.)

Offline Laura123

• Waygookin
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:28 AM »
I just tried another lesson for my 3 graders lesson 3 because the computer wasnt working, and it went well!

I actually found it on here, but i cant remember where so credit goes to whoever posted it here first...
I printed out a few pages with lists of nouns and verbs, just random words. I cut them into little squares and write on the back of each one of the following...
1 wish : one point
2 wishes: 2 points etc
sad face: no points
*1 : you can take one point from another team
*2: you can take 2 points from another team etc

then i just put them in a plastic bag.
After we had read the dialogue in the book and gone over the key phrases, I brke the class into four teams.
I wrote on the board:
I wish i could...
I wish i was/were...
I wish i had...

The took turns, one member from each team had to come up to the board and write a correct sentence with the word they pick out of the bag, with the corresponding points on the back of the word they pick
For example: A student comes up and picks out the word 'clean' he has to pick the appropriate sentence formation ie: i wish i was and then use the word to complete the sentence 'I wish i was clean today' then he gets the points that are written on the back of the word.
hope that makes sense, it went well!

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2011, 09:33:41 AM »
Grade 1, Lesson 3

The theme for this lesson is "funny stories and cartoons."

You could always give teams a cartoon that has pictures in the wrong order. Have teams number the cartoon pictures in the right order. For higher level students, you could also have them add captions to the pictures.

After they put the pictures in order, you can have teams write a story about the cartoon. The best story wins.

Offline deltablues

• Adventurer
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2011, 09:58:06 AM »
Here is a Simpsons Bomb Game for G3L2 (Cupid's Arrows.)

I also attached my plan for G1 L2 (Mina's Show and Tell.)  It's about giving advice.  For this lesson, I also made a handout with five simple problems (I can't run fast, I want to be a pop star) and had the students write down advice for it.

Offline sambelina78

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
For Grade 1, Lesson 2: Mina's Show and Tell,

You can spend two weeks on this lesson. For the first week, take pictures of advertisements out of a magazine and glue/tape them to a piece of cardboard paper. Then, put the students into groups of 4 or 5 and give each group a different picture. They should work with their groups to write sentences about the picture. When finished, they will read their sentences to the class and the other groups have to guess what their picture is or what the ad is trying to sell. This is kind of "show and tell."

Thanks for show & tell idea. I decided to use the topic of travel and have them making 'talking' postcards. I found images on the web from different countries, printed and laminated them and cut them into cards. the students are put into groups and are given a set of cards for a country. they then have to make a presentation about their holiday in that country suing the pictures as prompts.

the pictures i used are attached and the PPT.
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018