November 13, 2018, 06:05:23 AM

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 137100 times)

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2011, 06:39:04 PM »
My lesson for grade 1 lesson 1 Everything is new! I'm only to do the speak and listen parts and have to cover two class periods.

1st period:

I will focus on basic greetings, asking and answering basic questions.

After discussing the pictures on p.16+17, we will brainstorm some greetings that they know. Do the exercises on p18 and write the greetings on the board.

They then have a mingling activity to greet students from other groups (they sit in groups of 6) and use the questions from p17 to interview people.

Sit down again and share what you learnt with your group and then the teacher.

If we have time i have a 'connect 4/5' style game. In teams of 2/3 take turns to ask and answer the basic questions to connect 4/5 (4 is easier) squares in a straight line. I laminated enough of these boards for each group, then use white board markers to mark your square. I usually use Ask, Answer, Add to get more information out of the good students.

Phil

Cheers, pippo, looks like good stuff.

BTW you spelt Michael wrong on the connect five sheet.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 08:13:45 PM by Rowanteacher »

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #41 on: March 10, 2011, 07:40:08 AM »
BTW you spelt Michael wrong on the connect five sheet.
Damn... already laminated. Good spot. Anyway, if any kid notices that they deserve a candy!

Offline mdarino

• Waygookin
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2011, 07:49:54 AM »
I made an easy worksheet for Grade 2- Ch.1-setting goals. We switched books this year and thankfully there is an overlap of contents, so I'm recycling my old stuff.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 08:58:17 AM »
Mods, could this thread be stickied please? I notice lots of the other threads for certain textbooks are but I had to search through three pages to find this one again.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »
Grade 2 chapter 1

I'm starting by explaining "How have you been?" vs. "How are you?" then doing a gap fill with the conversation, doing a role play based of the conversation then I'll do a quick recap and finish with a game which I haven't done yet.

I'm worried I've made it too simple and its going to be a bit boring.

Offline jayd22j

• Waygookin
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2011, 12:52:28 PM »
Hey guys,
I unfortunately have this book too. Let's try and help each other out with the lessons.

I just started at my new school this week, so I'm still on lesson 1 for my grades. Here's a ppt for Grade 1, Lesson 1: Everything is New

It introduces 'What's up' to the students, and you can show them the famous Budweiser commercial. Then you can brainstorm and suggest responses to the question 'what's up'?

Try following it up with the paper ball activity. Split them up into teams. One student has the ball and he asks 'what's up'? and throws the ball to another student. The student answers with one of the previously discussed responses. Give them a time limit. Whichever team has the paper ball when time expires loses a point. Give each team two points.

After that I introduce some vocab words and made them a word find to go with it. If you have time after that, challenge students to perform the dialogue. Gradually take words out of it to make it more difficult. Hope this helps!

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2011, 01:53:58 PM »
Does anyone else take issue with the last line in the grade one, chapter one conversation page. "Well, my school doesn't. But I really want to wear them."[school uniform] Exactly how many uniforms do you want to wear Brian? Wouldn't one uniform suffice?

Am I being too picky here?

And while I'm on the subject of Brian, couldn't they have chosen another name!? Its far too easy to type Brain and then the spell check doesn't pick it up!

grrrrrr

Offline Darkeru

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2011, 01:59:05 PM »
Does anyone else take issue with the last line in the grade one, chapter one conversation page. "Well, my school doesn't. But I really want to wear them."[school uniform] Exactly how many uniforms do you want to wear Brian? Wouldn't one uniform suffice?

Am I being too picky here?

And while I'm on the subject of Brian, couldn't they have chosen another name!? Its far too easy to type Brain and then the spell check doesn't pick it up!

grrrrrr

1) Yes, that's too picky :laugh: I wouldn't say 'wear them' is correct, but it's not too unusual to hear someone use 'them' rather than 'one' or 'a uniform'.

2) Me too! He's called Brain too often. Once I even accidentally changed it to one of the other characters names on the last line. When someone noticed, I just told them they killed Brian and replaced him, because they were jealous.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2011, 01:13:31 PM »
OMG grade 2 chapter 2 - A Caring Friend - is killing me!

Anyone have any ideas on an activity for this one?!

Offline clairemaree

• Adventurer
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2011, 10:38:04 PM »
I had a really hard time thinking of anything as well.  I created a simple pencil game.  The class will pass around a pencil and when the music stops, the person and their partner (person sitting next to them) must recite the dialogue with the particular scenario. 

First I would review some key words such as upset, excited, happy, mad and then have them look at the scenario and then use the dialogue.  This game is always great because you don't have to ask for volunteers and they really like the music and concept.

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2011, 08:51:08 AM »
Grade 2 Lesson 2: I did this last year and was going to spice up....but I wasn't very successful.

Anyway, I do the dialogue bit, ask qeustions, and then I put the word FRIENDSHIP up on the board. They have to write down as many words as they can using the letters in friendship. There are lots of small words of only 2 or 3 letters so even the low level students can play. I give them 2-3 minutes and then I show them a list of the words they could have made. I give the student with the most words a piece of candy.

I made a super simple worksheet with 5-6 questions.
1. Who is your best friend?
2. How long have you been friends?
3. Where did you meet them?
4. Why are they your best friend?
5. What do you do when you're together?
6. What is your favorite memory together?

#6 is a new one I'm trying out. Might make it optional. Anyway, there is also a box for them to draw a picture of their best friend. It takes them forever to draw anything which is good because last year some of my advanced students were done in 2 minutes.

I also made a ppt that goes over every question and shows them my own answers to the questions to show them what I want. We also brainstorm for activities that you do with your friends. Then, I make them do the worksheet.

After they have finished, I make them practice interviewing their partner and then I take volunteers to present the information in front of the class.

Sorry, I don't have the worksheet saved but I think I found a cute one on here somewhere and just changed the questions to fit mine. I'm going to post the ppt but you should put your own information/pictures/examples on slides 6-9 and slides 16-17.

I think the pass the pencil game is super cute. If I have time at the end of class we're definitely going to play that because my students LOVE this game. I'm going to use a paper ball because someone would definitely get injured if we used a pencil. 
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

Offline clairemaree

• Adventurer
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
If anyone has any grade 1 or grade 3 (lesson 2) please post! ;D

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2011, 09:28:36 AM »
YES... i am in the same boat Clairemaree. I teach grade 1 and 3. I have to do the "listen and speak" sections every other week. so last week i did Listen and speak pages for grade 1 and 3 middle, then this week i have total freedom. Next week i need to do Chapter 2 - Listen and Speak pages for 1st and 3rd middle. ANY suggestions how to punch this stuff up or anyone that has done them wants to share would be greatly appreciated.

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2011, 10:06:24 AM »
My ppt for grade 2 chapter 2 first study goal "im so mad at her"

Working on grade 3 today and tomorrow but i will also attach a scattegories style game I played to practice the "i cant wait to.." section.

Offline CombattlerV

• Adventurer
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2011, 10:42:31 AM »
Made this for part 2 of my lesson for Grade 3 Chapter 1 "Our School News."  Thought I would tackle the "can be" and "must be" that is in the language in use section of the chapter and use those phrases to make newspaper ads.  Lots of fun watching the kids make ads selling everything from Dokdo to their friends into slavery.  Also included some examples of what the kids did.  Yeah a couple of them have grammar errors, but not bad I must say.

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2011, 03:40:11 PM »
For Grade 1, Lesson 2: Mina's Show and Tell,

You can spend two weeks on this lesson. For the first week, take pictures of advertisements out of a magazine and glue/tape them to a piece of cardboard paper. Then, put the students into groups of 4 or 5 and give each group a different picture. They should work with their groups to write sentences about the picture. When finished, they will read their sentences to the class and the other groups have to guess what their picture is or what the ad is trying to sell. This is kind of "show and tell."

Another "show and tell" idea: Again, students work in groups of 4 or 5. Show the student pictures of close up images (e.g. http://floorsix.blogspot.com/). You will "show" the pictures and "tell" them about the pictures, giving them clues as to what the pictures could be. For high level classes, you can just read the clues (helps with listening), or for lower level students, you can display the clues with the pictures. Teams should work together to try to figure out what the images are. The team to guess the most correct pictures wins.

A Google search for "close-up images" will give you plenty to work with. Then, make the clues based on your students' levels.

Good luck!

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2011, 04:14:08 PM »
Grade 3 Lesson 2 Cupid's Arrows.

PPT to introduce the first study goal - checking information or asking people to repeat something. Quite useful skill in my book but no easy way to practice it.

After using the ppt and book p26, we will play taboo by blindfolding 2/3 kids from each group of 6 and focus on getting the kids to ask when they don't hear or don't understand something eg - Pardon me? Im sorry?

Offline jdog1234

• Explorer
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:20 AM »
that ppt and game are great for this lesson!

thanks alot

Offline zenbone

• Adventurer
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »
God i want to play the clip from Blazing saddles clip where the towns people are practicing to meet the new sheriff and say "we extend this Laurel and Hardy handshake" SO BAD for the Grade 3 - lesson 2 listen segment where they say "laurel". but i know that most American's wouldn't get the joke let alone young Korean middle school students.

Offline CombattlerV

• Adventurer
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2011, 07:37:42 AM »
I do zenbone.  Love that movie.