October 19, 2018, 11:13:13 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 136802 times)

Offline MMadders

• Veteran
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2011, 07:41:03 AM »
How many classes do you guys take on one lesson? [I just got in Sep so I'm still working things out] My CT started me off with, 'you can do whatever you want'. Little to no guidance, and anytime I bring up how we should plan teaching together they get antsy.  Anyway,

I was told they [there are 2] take 5-7 classes [?!] per lesson. I'm going to double check that they didn't mean days. But how would you guys suggest stretching these lessons out over 4+ lessons? Its also clear they want me doing mainly Speaking and Listening with the students, which is fine, but 7 lessons of that? O . o

I want to play games but can't imagine the kids will keep focus that long with the same material over that many classes.

fyi. i teach 1st, 2nd & 3rd each grade has one class a day and two classes over the week...

thanks for your help!

I have each class once a week and I spread out each book unit over two lessons i.e. over two weeks. The first class will focus mostly on the phrases and speaking also power points. I generally do not play a game in the first lesson. The second lesson will be reviewing what we did in the first class maybe the listen and speak exercises depending on their understanding and behavior. Then I will play a big game in the second class. The game  incorporating material we covered in the two lessons.

Others might have a better way, maybe play more games etc.

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2011, 09:32:46 AM »
For those looking for ideas for Grade 1, Lesson 11: Read-a-thon, I highly recommend the following links:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,10635.msg86181.html#msg86181

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,3231.msg15259.html#msg15259

Good luck!~

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2011, 11:52:48 AM »
sambelina, thanks for posting for 3rd grade lesson 10! it looks great! however, i'm a little confused about the game. :( i feel dumb. how many cards does each student start with? what is considered a "full set"?
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

Offline crystal

• Adventurer
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »
@ R.J. Revnyak, yeah right 3rd graders seem to be left behind on the site.

In addition to that, we seem to have different Lessons for the 3 graders......which I find to be a bit strange!

3rd Graders Lesson 9: Conversational Ball Games                    Lesson 10: Solo Adventure

Anyone who matches with me? ;)
"the best or nothing!"

Offline kimchiteacha

• Waygookin
« Reply #244 on: October 24, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »
I love the modified version of Angry Birds! It works so much better!

Before I was having students use their books for level1 and then no books for level 2 but and they must say the answer correctly with no errors.

I have attached a my review version for the Simpsons Halloween game. Thanks to whom ever made the template!

I use this for M2 Review of lessons 7,8,9,10
Go big or go home!

Offline mystic951

• Veteran
« Reply #245 on: October 26, 2011, 01:28:20 PM »
I couldn't really find a PPT for Grade 3 Lesson 10 (a sticky little invention) , so I made one myself.

it's pretty simple. i didn't put in any animations yet, but when I do i'll add in the finished product. In the previous class we already went over some lessons from the book on "why did you choose that name/idea/concept/etc." so I didn't feel it necessary to spend a lot of time on that. Either way, it goes through a couple of inventors covering the who/why/what and then has them do a group writing/drawing/presenting activity. I haven't done this lesson yet so i don't know how long it would take, probably 2 classes for creating/presenting. Hope this helps :D!

Offline yarden.bourlas

• Explorer
« Reply #246 on: October 28, 2011, 08:30:40 AM »
Thanks Pippo,
I also found your lesson very for middle school very helpful.
Yarden

Offline jennatuuta

• Adventurer
  • Kiwi in Korea
« Reply #247 on: October 28, 2011, 09:02:03 AM »
Can't say they're all that great but they're a start if someone needs it. Chur.

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #248 on: October 30, 2011, 09:51:07 PM »
Hello teachers!

Here is my lesson for Grade 1, Lesson 11: Readathon, part one.

This is just an introduction to the lesson. It is a little short because we are finishing something else before.

Hopefully it's something to get you started!

Cut the worksheet into strips and pass them out to students to practice the "TH" sound. Have students compete to see who can say their phrase the fastest.

Good luck!~
« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:52:43 PM by ottokhae »

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #249 on: October 30, 2011, 09:55:13 PM »
Hello teachers!

Here is my lesson for Grade 2, Lesson 11: Interesting Differences.

Good luck!~

edit: Slide #13 should be changed from "woman" to "women." A student actually noticed this  :-[
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:29:32 PM by ottokhae »

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #250 on: October 31, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
I guess I'm a little behind. Here's a lesson about famous people with disabilities. I took the 3 people from the 2nd grade textbook who are still alive. My co-teachers mentioned that the kids don't really get to learn much about the people in the text, and so far both classes in which I taught this lesson were really interested. You may want to do a quick wikipedia about the people involved in case students have questions; I've found that I mention quite a bit more than what appears on the slides.

Some of the vocabulary is difficult and will require a bit of explaining in Korea.
I have the students take notes during the class (I use the video at the beginning as time to handout the worksheet), and as incentive mention that it will help them win the game later on if they take better notes.

I use the video of the guy juggling rubiks cubes to explain how not having the ability to do something doesn't = a disability.

A couple things: The review portion is from a previous class where we talked about blind and deaf people.
Also potentially problematic is that the angry birds game has review questions, not just from my previous class, but also from the one before it. You will probably want to change some of the slides to better coincide with your own lessons (I also X'd out several letters because I didn't have enough review material).

All that being said, there's hopefully something here that you can find useful.

Cheerio.

Offline Alida

• Waygookin
« Reply #251 on: November 02, 2011, 09:01:38 AM »
Here are two Lucky Wheel games for grade 1 and 2 and a worksheet that goes with the grade 1 game.
Grade 1: Students must use the prompts to make a question and an answer for example: What is the biggest country in the world? Russia is the biggest country in the world.
Grade 2: Students must use the prompts to make sentences using "must be" for example: He is sleeping in class. He must be tired. In round 2 they have to choose the correct adjective to make their sentence.

Offline R.J.Revnyak

• Waygookin
« Reply #252 on: November 02, 2011, 09:27:58 AM »
I don't know if this will happen to anyone else or not, but I had having to write the midterm exams sprung on me a few weeks back (like, the whole exam, in toto [had to grade the thing too], but it ended up being Lessons 9 and 10 for each grade.

Not sure on the ethics of posting these here, but then again I'm also not sure on the ethics of throwing midterm design on a two-month-in newbie either, so, here they are. Hopefully it'll save someone else some stress.

(Answer keys on the last page, 24 multiple choice, 6 sentences, 2 bonus questions [change those])

Also, Mario Bomb review games per grade (many with questions straight from the tests)

Offline R.J.Revnyak

• Waygookin
« Reply #253 on: November 02, 2011, 09:32:30 AM »
Also had to write a speaking test for each grade (the students have a minute and a half to basically riff on three of the five questions enclosed). There are model answers for them to review and try to, I guess, emulate. All three grades' tests are in this one document.

Hope this helps!

Offline mystic951

• Veteran
« Reply #254 on: November 03, 2011, 09:21:13 AM »
Used this for Lesson 10 Grade 1: The Mystery of the Mona Lisa

Nothing to special, easy lesson, was better than reading from the book @_@

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #255 on: November 04, 2011, 12:21:52 PM »
Nice work Revnyak.  It sounds like you've had a lot dumped on you so early in your contract!

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #256 on: November 07, 2011, 06:56:53 PM »
Hello Teachers,

Here is my lesson for Grade 1, Lesson 11: Read-a-thon, part two.

First, I start with some word puzzles. The students loved these and asked for more.

Then I explain various "thons" and the concept of charity.

Then I showed a video I found on waygook about water in Africa.

This lesson focuses on the "TH" sound so last week, we practiced "TH" tongue twisters. This week, we will practice other tongue twisters and play the Fish Game. The fish game is basically this: students are given a strip of paper with a tongue twister on it (found at the end of the ppt) and they have five minutes to practice and say it perfectly. Then after five minutes, I say "okay times up and now it's time to play the fish game." Split the room into two teams. Take two pictures of different fish from clip art and cut them out. Then make two starting/finish lines in front of the room on the floor (colored tape works fine) parallel to each other. Place each fish at a starting line. Now for the fun part: the student has to correctly say their tongue twister. If they say it correctly, they get to "blow" the paper fish one time and try to get it across the starting line of the opposite team. This game was so much fun during class and worked really well. If they mess up their tongue twister, they don't get to blow the fish. If they say it extremely well and fast, I let them blow the fish twice. Teams earn a point when their fish crosses their respective finish line. If the fish gets blown out of the side line, they have to place their fish back on their starting line. The best part is when a student blows really hard and the fish doesn't move at all.

This game worked really well and encouraged them to really practice their tongue twister. It's just a little piece of paper, but students were fighting over each other to be able to "give it a blow." lol

I hope this works as well for you as it did for me!

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #257 on: November 07, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
Hello Teachers,

Here is my lesson for Grade 3, Lesson 11: Confusing Colors.

First I start with some word puzzles. The students loved these and asked for more.

Then we practice the dialogue and the "S" sound of the lesson.

Then, according to level, I show pictures of things that contain the "S" sound. Students have to tell me what the pictures are.

Since this lesson is about "confusing colors" and confusing word puzzles and such, I am doing various word puzzle worksheets according to their English level.

Good luck!~

Offline jennatuuta

• Adventurer
  • Kiwi in Korea
« Reply #258 on: November 08, 2011, 03:11:31 PM »
Grade two - Interesting Differences P2. I just repeated the conversation, made sure they understood it and could pronounce the words properly then played the Blockbusters game that Pippo posted on page two-ish of this thread (2010).
It focuses on
-(quite) different from
-similar to
-same as
The slides/questions are things about a different country/cultural thingy and the students answer for example "That's quite different from Korea".

Try to get them to talk about what is happening in the pictures and then get them to talk about how they go about the same kind of thing here in Korea AKA HOW it's the same/similar/different.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 02:40:48 PM by jennatuuta »

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #259 on: November 09, 2011, 12:57:11 PM »
Grade 2 Lesson 10 A Day in the Tundra.
Included in the warm-up is a throw-back to the egg drop experiment with a smart-phone-drop experiment video.
Then a palindrome-number thing (I do an example on the board along with the students).
Then the conversation and some expressions.
Then a bit about some world biomes.

So far I haven't made it through the whole lesson in a class. I'll probably make a worksheet and review the biome stuff that I want them to remember, anyway. But to cover all of it, just remove the number-thing at the beginning.