June 21, 2018, 04:33:43 PM

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 134879 times)

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2011, 01:17:17 PM »
And a taboo game to supplement angry birds

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2011, 02:36:06 PM »
Love the Angry Birds Rowan Teacher and I think my students will too. Thanks a lot.

Offline jeniie

• Explorer
« Reply #222 on: September 27, 2011, 10:36:16 AM »
this book is terrible.
For this book, I teach Listen&Speak + Conversation

I just started and this is what I got for Lesson 9
Grade 2
- I taught them the grammar structure "What's special about today". I explained to them that special can also have the same meaning to different. You are pretty much asking what is it about today that is different to other days.
- The students read the dialogue together as a class. I normally split the class into person A and person B. the italicised words, i let them know that is where you change the information
- Then i move onto the next task, which is the front page of lesson 9. I let the students know that the sentence "whats special about today" the today can be changed into an object or subject. Then we look at the examples i provided on the worksheet. So for the next activity, I tell them the sentence, "whats special about today" will be changed to "whats special about her/him". I also let them know that, if you are using the word special to describe someone, it means they have a disability. Which then leads onto the activity - guess who those people are in te pictures. When it is completed, we go through the answers as a class.

The last activity that i did with them was test how well they know their public holidays on the korean calender. So on the powerpoint, I showed only the dates and they have to write it down on the worksheet. give them about 30 seconds for each date. They were pretty intense for this activity. some of them started fighting, when they were guessing what day it was. they got all worked up for it. At the end, we go through the slides again with answers.

Grade 1
- the word healthy in the middle of the board. got students to tell me anything that was related to healthy. after that, went through the things they had said and then asked "how come" it is important to be healthy.
- On the front page of lesson 9, i got the students to divide the activities into the healthy and unhealthy. We went through the answers and the student who told me the answer also had to give me a reason why it was healthy/unhealthy.
- i went through the grammar "how come". i taught them how you can use it (in the same place as why). the activity was based on pg 119's dialogue. I used the table with pictures on top. they had to draw healthier altenatives to the ones that were already there. e.g. fries = salad
and then got them to use it in the dialogue sense.

my lessons aren't very fun, as you can tell. i dont use very much games. my co-teachers prefer to get straight to the point =________= it makes it very boring for me and my students.

Offline jayd22j

• Waygookin
« Reply #223 on: September 27, 2011, 11:32:44 AM »
That angry birds ppt is probably one of the most impressive things on this website. Nice job Rowanteacher!

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #224 on: September 27, 2011, 02:22:16 PM »
I have a few issues with the angry birds game and am planning to alter the game play a bit actually. It looks really pretty and all and the technology is really impressive with the scoreboard etc but I'm not sure how you're supposed to collect all of the birds without going to level two, which just repeats the questions from level one.

So I was going to re-work it so that different birds have different points values with some of them being special objects to switch scores or destroy another team's points etc, the more traditional bomb game style. I does mean you have to keep score on the board but that suits me as I keep scores for participation and behavior every class anyway.

I'm just going to the bank but I'll start updating when I get back hopefully I can finish by the end of the day.

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #225 on: September 28, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »
Teachers,

Here is my lesson for Grade 2, Lesson 9: Never Say Never.

[This lesson is a combination of different ideas from waygook. Original credit goes to "jennatuuta" (http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2102.200.html) and "hunterst" (http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,20253.msg149748/topicseen.html#msg149748).]

HL: High Level - LL: Low Level

Good Luck!~

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #226 on: September 28, 2011, 01:54:21 PM »
Ok I've adapted the angry birds game to suit me better, there is no interactive scoreboard any more and the scoring is not random, birds are assigned points values rather than trying to collect a full set. Oh it's also compatible with PowerPoint 2010 now.

A few questions are fixed from my first version, minor things but just making them look a little better or improving their appearance.

Please note round 2 doesn't work properly, all the scoring slides link back to round 1 and I'm not sure how to change that, if I solve it I'll update, but don't delete the round two slides or it will break all the links!

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #227 on: September 29, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »
And the same thing for 2nd grade.

Offline edusoft7

• Explorer
« Reply #228 on: September 29, 2011, 08:03:47 AM »
Is there anyone who has a great idea for lesson 10 grade 3???

Offline jennatuuta

• Adventurer
  • Kiwi in Korea
« Reply #229 on: October 06, 2011, 09:11:22 AM »
I only use this book for my 1st and 2nd graders - and they focus on the convo techniques rather than the contents of the chapter. Here are my ppts for lessons 10.

The game in the 1st grade ppt is thanks to my lecturer at EPIK orientation, Jacob Boer!

And the game in the 2nd grade ppt is from here http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,15003.0.html (cheers shawol) - so if you want to go all the way with this one you will have to download his zip folder.

Have chucked a couple of notes in the ppt (kind of). Hope it helps someone out there. Chur.

Offline sambelina78

• Veteran
« Reply #230 on: October 06, 2011, 03:13:38 PM »
Is there anyone who has a great idea for lesson 10 grade 3???

Lesson 10 - grade 3 - inventions
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805

Offline kimchiteacha

• Waygookin
« Reply #231 on: October 07, 2011, 08:11:51 AM »
Here is the review I used for the middle school second graders (M2).

I found the template on here but forgot the user name...sorry :(

But I just added questions frm chapters 7, 8, and 9 to help review for their midterms.

There are two blank sides. I just had information from my introduction to see if the remembered lol.

Hope this is helpful!
Go big or go home!

Offline kimchiteacha

• Waygookin
Lesson 8 and 9 Christian H Kim
« Reply #232 on: October 07, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »
I had to combine lesson 8-9 because I was told about Midterms coming up at the last minute.

Any way I used this in conjunction with the books listen and speak (A & B) activities.

I basically try to have the students repeat the conversation on the slides or practice with partners.

These chapters were very boring...I must admit.

Go big or go home!

Offline kimchiteacha

• Waygookin
« Reply #233 on: October 07, 2011, 08:27:11 AM »
aawww I can't open RowanTeachers Taboo game  :(
Go big or go home!

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #234 on: October 07, 2011, 11:39:32 AM »
aawww I can't open RowanTeachers Taboo game  :(

What problem are you having with it? What version of office are you using?

Offline R.J.Revnyak

• Waygookin
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »
There's like a depressingly small amount of stuff on here for the 3rd graders. Here's a Mario review game for Lesson 9: Shop Smart! Pretty self-explanatory. I think there might be one slide that's relevant to my class, so go ahead and change that one.

Offline kimchiteacha

• Waygookin
Christian H. Kim Lesson 9 M1 (Middle school 1st graders)
« Reply #236 on: October 12, 2011, 09:11:08 AM »
@ rowanteacher apparently my computer was severely outdated! The school just updated the software this week and I am able to download the ppt.

On another note I am posting my lesson 9 "A Healthy Life"  for the first graders.

I have to do the Listen and Speak activities with the students and include my own lesson.

For this one I focused on talking about a healthy life vs. unhealthy life and wrote what the students brainstormed on the board.

Then we did some stretching which can be found on slides 13-17. Lastly we do the menu activity. I have notes included in the PPT for this activity.

I hope this is helpful for those using this book  ;D
Go big or go home!

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #237 on: October 17, 2011, 02:25:41 PM »
      Here is my tundra lesson. My school is on a big nature/environment kick so they asked if I would do something about the animals in the tundra. I also borrowed the format for the phrase practice from I believe Rowan Teacher's" Could You Do Me a Favor" ppt as the phrases are similar.  For the videos I showed the wolf howling after showing the wolf slide (even got some students to practice wolf howls and that was fun), the Walrus/Bear Showdown after the bear and walrus slides (boys loved it, girls said it was said lol) and after showing all of the slides ended on a happy note with the cute animal slides just in case anyone was too traumatized by the animated walrus fight :)

I included the Mad Libs at the beginning just for fun because this is the first time I have seen the students in about two weeks due to tests, so just something light to get them speaking in English again. I think you can look at the numbers and figure out whether nouns, verbs, adjectives, places, etc. should fit in, but let me know if you have any questions. I did it with two classes today and it seemed to go over well.

Offline Tallyjules

• Explorer
« Reply #238 on: October 18, 2011, 09:34:10 AM »
Would some some be able to point me int he direction of The angry birds ppt?

Offline Ritzckrakr

• Adventurer
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »
How many classes do you guys take on one lesson? [I just got in Sep so I'm still working things out] My CT started me off with, 'you can do whatever you want'. Little to no guidance, and anytime I bring up how we should plan teaching together they get antsy.  Anyway,

I was told they [there are 2] take 5-7 classes [?!] per lesson. I'm going to double check that they didn't mean days. But how would you guys suggest stretching these lessons out over 4+ lessons? Its also clear they want me doing mainly Speaking and Listening with the students, which is fine, but 7 lessons of that? O . o

I want to play games but can't imagine the kids will keep focus that long with the same material over that many classes.

fyi. i teach 1st, 2nd & 3rd each grade has one class a day and two classes over the week...

thanks for your help!

Learn new things. Meet new people. Be inspired.
Check out a KOTESOL chapter event near you!
koreatesol.org/nc2018