July 16, 2018, 06:49:09 PM

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 135472 times)

Offline jennatuuta

• Adventurer
  • Kiwi in Korea
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #200 on: September 09, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
The last page has a couple of ones for lesson 7. Here are my lessons 8 & 9. (they aren't really on the lesson as a whole 'cause I get told to just do convo stuff - they're pretty average) Ha the J-Beebz hever say never song is hyperlinked into the first slide of 9

Offline mystic951

• Veteran
« Reply #201 on: September 15, 2011, 08:52:14 AM »
Grade 3 Lesson 7. I split it into 2 lesson's, the first about recipe's and the seond about Menu's. I'm having a competition withon the 3rd grade, the group with the best 2 idea's wins a prize. With the rest of the recipe's i'm making a cookbook, i've taken pictures of them making their reipe's and am going to pu them together and laminate them and then bind them. Hopefully it will work out nicely!

Laura, you rock. This saved my day! Thanks for a great lesson plan :)

Offline keobuk2

• Waygookin
« Reply #202 on: September 15, 2011, 10:01:39 AM »
I've been waiting to do 2nd grade  lesson 8 since..well, since I did it last year. I find it can be spread over a number of classes and is always a lot of fun.
First class is dictation. I read out the experiment guidelines and they write them in their notebooks. Then I answer questions and we sort out teams (that can easily fill the rest of the class).

Second class is planning and building. This can be split over 2 classes if you get the students to present their plans to the class first.

Third class is testing. I found an old drop cloth and painted a target on it for the students to aim at (and to help clean up). The students drop their creations from the third floor and my co-teacher films it for later laughs.

Fourth class is the end of all the hard work. I have them put together their reports in this class but if you set the report writing for homework they can present them instead.

I only get 4 classes to play with this unit and it never seems enough.The students performance counts towards their final mark, but they have so much fun they don't notice. And, I escape teaching the blasted textbook for a couple of weeks!  ;)

Offline andrea0405

• Explorer
« Reply #203 on: September 16, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »
 I was completely stumped and had no idea what to do for grade 1 lesson 8 (Great Teens). My teacher then told me that I had 5 minutes to prepare for the lesson because classes had changed and I was completely stressed.
I walked into the class without a clue of what I was going to do. The class was a complete success and it helped that I had some bite sized chocolates handy.

I did the following:

- I asked the students what the term "Great Teens" means and asked them if they knew of any teens who had done great things. That took about 10 minutes, as they all told me about young successful teens. There are many in Korea. Kim Yu Na and IU were listed

- I then needed to edutain them by playing a "I'd love to, but I can't"/"I'm sorry, but I can't" game. I came up with the following:

The whole class participates in the game. One by one, the students must invite the student next to them, to a place. For example:
A: Do you want to watch a movie?
B: I'm sorry, but I can't. I must listen to music.
B: Do you want to listen to music?
C: I'd love to, but I can't. I am going shopping.
C:Do you want to go shopping?
D: I'd love to, but I can't. I must do my homework

As seen above, the student uses their excuse as an invitation to the next student.

The entire class takes part and there is a 10 second rule (5 seconds with higher level students). If they do not answer in 10 seconds, they are disqualified. They are not allowed to use the same verbs as the students before, otherwise they are disqualified too.

The funniest of answers come out ("I'd love to, but I can't. I must wash my penguin") and the students have loads of fun. It takes a while too. It took almost 20 minutes to narrow it all down to the top 3 students.

Offline Rawiri

• Newgookin
« Reply #204 on: September 16, 2011, 11:12:15 AM »
Has anyone done lesson 9 "Shop Smart" for grade 3? Any ideas?

Offline NeynaD

• Waygookin
« Reply #205 on: September 19, 2011, 09:26:29 AM »
Thank you for the post on the grade 1 phone conversation. I've been busy with my after school conversation classes and preparing reviews for tests so this helped a lot.

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
Hello teachers!

Here is my lesson for Grade 1, Lesson 8: Great Teens.

I focused the lesson around the theme of hobbies and free time.

This lesson is a combination of different ideas from waygook, so I can't take full credit.

HL = high level - LL: low level

Good luck!~

Offline Jimmer

• Adventurer
« Reply #207 on: September 19, 2011, 12:33:09 PM »
  :-\
I'm lost in here.  The other book sets seem to be correlated by level and chapter.  This one seems to be all over the place.

Is it a chaos beyond reach?  I can't even tell what level people are putting their chapters to, if they mention the chapter.  Or am I missing something more obvious?

Chillin',
Jimmer

8)

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2011, 08:39:40 AM »
Here is a review game for Grade 2 Lessons 6 & 7 using the great Crazy Arcade template. Thanks to whoever made that!!

You will need to add your own question for slides #9 & #17. I used personal questions for those so you'll need to come up with something else.
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2011, 09:17:01 AM »
Thanks for the review game, helped me out today!

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:34 AM »
Teachers,

Here is my lesson for Grade 2, Lesson 8: Egg Drop Experiment.

This lesson is a combination of different ideas from waygook, so I can't take full credit.

Good Luck!

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2011, 10:07:28 AM »
Teachers,

Here is my lesson for Grade 3, Lesson 8: A Hero Among Us.

Start with the Heroes Powerpoint. Then I adjusted and used the CNN Heroes PPT that I found on Waygook. It was very useful and the students were engaged.

Note: make sure to load all videos before you begin your lesson. (links are on the slides)

HL: High Level - LL: Low Level

Good Luck!~

Offline CombattlerV

• Adventurer
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2011, 10:05:53 AM »
Since the midterms at my school were rescheduled for the Grade 3s they are only being tested on Chapter 7 and 8.  I made this review game called build a robot for them and it turned out to be quite a lot of fun.  Again, this is for grade 3s.  Have fun.

Offline crystal

• Adventurer
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2011, 10:38:07 AM »
Hey waygookers!

Your postings are much appreciated, and they indeed make lives of the fellow waygookers better.

I just have one humble request. Could we please number the Lessons (Chapters) as numbered in textbooks! I know most of us do. This will make our lives much easier, as well as unnecessarily bothering our kind moderators. For instance, if I post lesson 18/ 19/ 20 whilst the texbook doesn't even go that far with it's chapters? How do I expect folks in this site to be able to understand such awkward numbering? I hope I'm not misunderstood to be 'bashing', but only 'suggesting'.

Let's please be considerate.
"the best or nothing!"

Offline crystal

• Adventurer
Re: Grade1: Lesson 8, "Great Teens" - Christian H. Kim
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2011, 06:54:44 PM »

Just to add on what you might already have, here is more practice to phrases like, "I usually......."; "I always......."; "I like........"; "I don't like.........". You're free to use it whatever way you feel like.
"the best or nothing!"

Offline crystal

• Adventurer
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2011, 07:28:01 PM »
Cool presentation of your lesson on "Heroes" Ottokhae! However, which textbook is this? For Christian Kim's textbooks, the 3rd Graders are doing "Cool Things in the Future" as their lesson: 8? I'm a bit lost  :blank:
"the best or nothing!"

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #216 on: September 22, 2011, 08:50:24 AM »
Cool presentation of your lesson on "Heroes" Ottokhae! However, which textbook is this? For Christian Kim's textbooks, the 3rd Graders are doing "Cool Things in the Future" as their lesson: 8? I'm a bit lost  :blank:

Hi Cris,

Just to confirm, I am using "Middle School English 3" by many Korean names and Chrisitan H. Kim at the bottom. The publication date at the top right of the cover says July, 30, 2010. Perhaps you are using a different edition? My lesson 8 is doutbless "A Hero Among Us." Hope that helps~

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #217 on: September 26, 2011, 09:20:02 AM »
Here are my Grade 1 & 3 lessons for this week. I used a looooooooot of material from this website as well as eatyourkimchi (i think). So, big ups to those people!

Grade 1 Lesson 7:
Note: Slide 6 is a kind of game/activity. I explain that we must speak clearly when we're on the phone and then I explain the game. Basically, I will tell them a phone number by saying the words associated with each number. Students must listen carefully and write down the number. Then, I get the students to come up and do the speaking. It's harder than they think! I usually give a piece of candy to the student volunteers or to the student who gets the correct number first.

Grade 3 Lesson 8:
I think it's pretty self explanatory.

I'm also attaching Crazy Arcade review games for Grade 1 Lesson 6&7 as well as Grade 3 Lesson 7&8.

Let me know if you guys have any questions. Also, please go through and check the ppt's before using them in class. There is at least one slide in the review game about the name of my cat as a bonus question that I don't feel like changing right now. lol - sorry!
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #218 on: September 26, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »
Thanks I'm stuck in glue, I'll be raiding some of your review questions and putting some of my own into a angry birds review game for grade 1 lessons 7,8 and 9, hopefully I'll finish today but it might be tomorrow morning.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #219 on: September 26, 2011, 01:07:18 PM »
Angry birds review game for grade 1 lessons 7,8 & 9 (up to 8 teams)