November 21, 2018, 03:27:08 PM

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 137330 times)

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:02 PM »
And the games:

OK I'm going to post the 2nd game from home because that one took 20 mins or more and I want to go home!

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 04:28:24 PM »
2nd grade game:

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2011, 01:55:39 PM »
Ok so who's using these books again this year?

I've got nothing to contribute yet, but I guess I'd better have something soon! *looks nervously at calendar and time table*

Who else is stuck with these?

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 11:04:28 AM »
*bump*

I can't be all alone on this can I? I know they're kind of crappy text books but surely my school can't be the ONLY one still using them?

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 11:48:32 AM »
i still have these fantastic  :o books for grades 1 and 2 and have the pleasure of now teaching grade 3 with the same series as well!

Not in until wednesday but will update here with materials as and when... good luck.

Offline midnight_runner

• Waygookin
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 12:51:42 PM »
I have lessons 1-8 planned for grade 2 and I am working on grade 1. Once I get my computer back from apple I'll post my stuff.

Offline mdarino

• Waygookin
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 07:45:47 PM »
We just switched to these and I guess they're an improvement from the last set. I uploaded a video from the last textbooks we used on Youtube. Check out the awesomeness.

Offline sambelina78

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »
i have these text books too. used grade 1 & 2 last semester and and now also been grade 3 this semester... so i ahve some lessons from the end of the books last year, but nothiung at the beginning and nothing for grade 3
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

For $5 off your first order use this code LEP805

Offline sambelina78

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 01:33:34 PM »
I have lessons 1-8 planned for grade 2 and I am working on grade 1. Once I get my computer back from apple I'll post my stuff.

think many people will love you forever if you do!! i will look forward to them. thanks
Buy vitamins, baking supplies, organic toiletries on-line at www.iherb.com. They deliver to Korea for an average $4!!

Offline salabbe

• Adventurer
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 03:01:32 PM »
ya..anytime would be sweet...I have 17 lesson plans a week this year...stoked on all the new ideas I can get.

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2011, 07:29:30 AM »
Quick question, is there a companion CD ROM for these books? Last year I just had the books and the audio CD and made minimal use of them because I have minimal Korean and couldn't understand most of the book. But at the start of this year I saw one of the new Korean English teachers strolling along with a pile of books, CDs and what looked like a CD ROM case with the same packaging.

Was I wrong or do I need to go have a word and find out why no one gave me the CD ROM?

Offline honeynutloops

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2011, 07:36:27 AM »
Yes they have CDROMs for those books.  I have the one for 1st grade but I don't use it.  I did have a look however and it looks pretty good.  My co-teachers use them in their classes however, and I just focus on the conversation pages.

Offline Darkeru

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2011, 07:58:10 AM »
Yes they have CDROMs for those books.  I have the one for 1st grade but I don't use it.  I did have a look however and it looks pretty good.  My co-teachers use them in their classes however, and I just focus on the conversation pages.

You too? I teach from the same book and only the conversation pages too. Was there any material on the CDs relating to the conversation? I've not seen nor heard of the CDs, besides occasionally finding one left in a co-teachers laptop.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »
Seems like we're all the pretty much the same boat with these books, I just get told to do the conversation page and teach around the topic area. That page fills maybe 10 boring minutes out of two lessons I do on each chapter so I spend a lot of time coming up with original material.

I get the feeling that the teachers want to keep as much of the textbook as possible to themselves cos it requires much less planning and preparation to just go through pages of the book, or am I being a little harsh?

Do the CD ROMs have directions in English too? I'd love to use the activities book sometimes, when I'm just too busy to plan out fresh material for the whole lesson and want 10 mins of filler for example but I can't understand a word of it! :(

Offline CombattlerV

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2011, 02:13:05 PM »
the cd roms have a lot of worksheets on them.  I might use those.  The activities book has a bunch as well.

Offline sambelina78

• Veteran
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2011, 03:49:39 PM »
i just put together very quickly this mornign a lesson from the 1st chapter of garde 3 book. it's about has been doing or have been doing. the kids found it a little hard, so i am toying with the idea of waiting a couple more weeks to cover the rest of grade 3 so at leats they have had chnace to learn the grammar from their CoT.

I will post later when i have made a couple of tweaks

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2011, 09:20:12 AM »
My lesson for grade 1 lesson 1 Everything is new! I'm only to do the speak and listen parts and have to cover two class periods.

1st period:

I will focus on basic greetings, asking and answering basic questions.

After discussing the pictures on p.16+17, we will brainstorm some greetings that they know. Do the exercises on p18 and write the greetings on the board.

They then have a mingling activity to greet students from other groups (they sit in groups of 6) and use the questions from p17 to interview people.

Sit down again and share what you learnt with your group and then the teacher.

If we have time i have a 'connect 4/5' style game. In teams of 2/3 take turns to ask and answer the basic questions to connect 4/5 (4 is easier) squares in a straight line. I laminated enough of these boards for each group, then use white board markers to mark your square. I usually use Ask, Answer, Add to get more information out of the good students.

Phil

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:21:47 AM by pippo11 »

Offline pippo11

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
My lesson for grade 2 lesson 1 How to set a good goal. I'm only to do the speak and listen parts and have to cover two class periods.

1st period:

I tried to find some motivational video as a warm up that would be easy to understand but didnt get anything yet.

I will clarify the word 'goal' as in football, hockey etc. Something you want and try hard to get.

Do the warm up on p10 and the listening on p12.

I will show a PPT about my goals (modified from someone else on here - thanks!), detailing how and when i will achieve them. Give the students a handout to complete and ask them to choose one goal for this year (it can be about anything really).

Then a speaking activity where the students will greet each other and ask each other about their goals. Pretty simple really but i expect the kids to do a lot more talking this year so im starting of with a lot of freedom to move around and talk. I will reward the students who take part and we have a class points competition to penalise students if they aren't participating/speaking English.

Offline Darkeru

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 09:38:23 AM »
I tried to find some motivational video as a warm up that would be easy to understand but didnt get anything yet.

Mine is quite different (I'm only allowed to teach page 14, have to do vocab, key expressions and other similar ones to use, then make them repeat the conversation, then do a different conversation with key expressions). I used the Mr Bean video where he tries to swim though. Not very related but draws their interest and someone always answers that his goal is to dive/get in the water.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

Offline imstuckinglue

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2011, 02:10:22 PM »
Grade 2 Lesson 1:

My intermediate and low level students would be bored to tears if we talked about goals or just did worksheets. My advanced students can do that but there is no way it would fly with the other kiddies.

So, I used an idea that I jacked from someone here on Waygook that is SO SO SO easy and low prep and the kids really like it. TRASH BALL. Whoever you are, thanks for the great idea and ppt.

I decided to focus my lesson on giving advice. I show them a problem and they have to give me advice. If I like their advice, then they get the chance to see how many shots their team can take. I threw in a couple of questions about the dialogue too just to mix things up. I just use a small trashcan that I found at my desk, made a ball out of paper/tape, and then carry it to my classes.

This was my first lesson with them this year so I started off the class by asking what they did on winter vacation. I told them what I did and included a bunch of pictures that we squeal over (GD, TOP, Hyun Bin, Justin Bieber, etc...). That eats up some time, we do the dialogue, comprehension check about the dialogue, and then I explain the game to them and the target language. I haven't ran out of time yet so this game should take a while to complete (especially if you require them to use full sentences). If you have to do a writing portion then you could have them write down their goals and how they will achieve it and then present it to their partner/group/class.

Sorry for rambling!
Download Dropbox to get 2gb worth of free space.
http://db.tt/j3UI00Ke