September 21, 2018, 09:18:53 PM

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 136399 times)

Offline lukelui

• Waygookin
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2011, 10:41:24 PM »
I wonder, is anyone else here is having to teach from the activity book ?

if so, i wonder how you do it? For the most part, i spend alot of time on the listen and speak sections. Which is boring for everyone. I want to make the lessons more fun and varied.

Anyone got any pointers.

Offline crystal

• Adventurer
« Reply #181 on: August 18, 2011, 09:39:53 PM »
Hi folks,

Could you please come to my rescue with Lesson 7: "Disappearing Islands" for the second graders. Any ideas available will be much appreciated. Rowan teacher, Pippo....et al. thanks-so-very-much for sharing! Midnight_runner, have you got your PC from Apple? Please help! I do three schools with different textbooks :( not funny at all.
"the best or nothing!"

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #182 on: August 22, 2011, 11:12:50 AM »
Here is what I will start doing tomorrow for Disappearing Islands.

Offline Laura123

• Waygookin
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2011, 07:39:02 AM »
Im about to start this for Chapter 7. I played so many bomb games and stuff before the break, i have to do something different! I took another ppt from here and just added some stuff relevant to the conversation part and took out some stuff, so i dont take credit!!

Offline crystal

• Adventurer
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2011, 02:35:50 PM »
Benjamin Thurn & Laura 123.......you are the BEST! Thank-you-so-very-much for your responses, it really put a smile on my face. Once again thanks for sharing!
"the best or nothing!"

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2011, 05:14:39 PM »
Glad you liked it Cris, hope it helps!

Offline Laura123

• Waygookin
« Reply #186 on: August 26, 2011, 08:10:49 AM »
Grade 3 Lesson 7. I split it into 2 lesson's, the first about recipe's and the seond about Menu's. I'm having a competition withon the 3rd grade, the group with the best 2 idea's wins a prize. With the rest of the recipe's i'm making a cookbook, i've taken pictures of them making their reipe's and am going to pu them together and laminate them and then bind them. Hopefully it will work out nicely!

Offline SeattleBen

• Adventurer
« Reply #187 on: August 27, 2011, 03:43:10 PM »
Hi Guys! I noticed not a lot gets posted for our books. I'll try to post what I've been
working on more to help out a little bit. I only teach 1st and 2nd grade. Here's the
next few lessons I got ready. I'm not sure how helpful they are because I just use
the PPs as a jumping off point for discussion and question time and then I give a worksheet
at the end. These are for Lesson 5 2nd grade and Lesson 6 1st grade. My school moves
pretty slow so you may already be past these lessons. I hope there's something there for you.

Offline Tembo

• Waygookin
« Reply #188 on: August 29, 2011, 10:04:39 AM »
Thanks for posting all of this information, and all of these lessons!  They should make it easier for us new teachers (who are using Christian Kim's books) to plan effective lessons.

Offline theorymaster

• Newgookin
« Reply #189 on: August 30, 2011, 01:34:23 PM »
I'm a newbie at this teaching malarky and had intended to use the textbooks as a guide but I find them really confusing for me as a native english teacher and wonder then how my sudents are supposed to learn from them. How do you veterans use Kim's book?

any help at all would be appreciated

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #190 on: August 30, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »
theorymaster:

I agree that this is not the greatest textbook. I generally use the theme of each chapter and plan my lesson around that. Students are already drilled with vocabulary and grammar, so I use the theme of the chapter and make something interesting out of it. For example, this week we are on Lesson 7, which talks about summer, so I would plan a lesson on the topic of summer. Sometimes you have to be creative, but luckily there is a lot of help available, especially on waygook.

Don't forget to also look on the main waygook site for lesson ideas. Don't rely solely on this thread. Do a site-wide search and you will find many ideas to build off of. Best of luck this year!

Offline phathank

• Waygookin
« Reply #191 on: August 31, 2011, 11:53:04 AM »
I'm asked by CTs to do the 'listen and speak' sections... so I generally start with a little warmer, often on the subject but not always, then get the listen and speak section out the way as quickly as possible but covering everything and making sure they've got the key phrases, then do something of my own, usually on the same topic for the rest of the class.. then the next class i'll do the listen and speak from the activity book, which is normally only a 5 minute job, then something of my own on the subject from the chapter again. the textbook's not the best but at least it gives you some kind of starting point.. often if i'm completely free to plan a lesson i'll spend about 2 hours trying to decide on some kind of theme/idea.. it'll help in that respect, especially if you're new to teaching. occassionally, if there's some real nonsense in the book then i'll tell my CTs i'm not teaching it as it's completely wrong or whatever and they're always fine with that

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2011, 03:18:23 PM »
here is what I am doing for grade 3 chapter 7 this week. First figure out the mystery food dialogue, short dialogue with some phrases from the book. Then we are making potions to go on with the food recipe theme. I did this with a different grade for halloween last year and it went really well then and also today. I basically have the students work in pairs to make something similar to the example I showed and then we share.

Offline ty

• Explorer
« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2011, 11:31:36 AM »
has anyone got a great lesson plan for gr 2 lesson 7? Disappearing Islands kids are really over this topic!

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #194 on: September 01, 2011, 12:36:19 PM »
Here's an out-of-textbook lesson for 2nd grade about animals (to complement lesson 6).
The worksheet is meant to be completed alongside the PPT, then I check the answers, then we finish up with a wordsearch (I made one and put it on the back. Just google wordseach generator). I'm at a boy's school and threaten push-ups if a student is caught doing the wordsearch during the PPT, and since I use a wireless clicker, I have fun busting students by putting a laser point on their paper (cue the student slowly looking up with dread).

I tried to be as engaging as possible, asking for input from students about animal behavior, telling stories etc, and they were pretty into it. I spliced things up with videos, though, so that it's not just a pile of vocabulary all at once.

If your delivery is quicker than mine, you might want to throw a couple bonus videos on the end, as there is no shortage of entertaining animal videos floating around the internet.

Wordsearch words: fin, gills, lungs, school, amphibian, reptile, crocodile, scales, bird, feather, wing, beak, migrate, mammal, and sweat.

For the worksheet, just click 'Print Preview' to make it the size of a full page.

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2011, 12:42:24 PM »
And the ppt which didn't attach for some reason.

Offline taegeukwon

• Newgookin
« Reply #196 on: September 05, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »
Does anyone have a lesson plan idea for lesson 9 "shop smart"? I'm having a really hard time trying to come up with ideas and the activities in the book are extremely dull and boring.

Offline kimchiteacha

• Waygookin
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?/Lesson Plan summary (7)
« Reply #197 on: September 05, 2011, 08:58:43 PM »
I have the same issue with Lesson 7. Its so boring but I have to review it since the students since they don't remember what they did before break.For the 2nd grade middle schoolers I created a diaglogue using the key expressions and had students work in groups to create the conversation then act it out to the class. Then I created a sheet similar to the one on pg 103 but with more pictures. Then the students went around the room asking the others if they agreed with the pictures. If they did they wrote their names down. The first 3 to finish got a stamp.

Not sure what I will do with my 1st grade middle school students though  :-X
Go big or go home!

Offline kimchiteacha

• Waygookin
« Reply #198 on: September 05, 2011, 09:19:58 PM »
I'mm reading some great ideas for this book once I get past lesson 7. Thanks everyone. I hope my input was also helpful.
Go big or go home!

Offline Loren.d

• Explorer
« Reply #199 on: September 08, 2011, 12:50:24 PM »
Help!! Has anybody got anything for lesson 7 & 8 for 1st Grade?? I swear this is the most terrible book! Can't find any lesson plans or games for these chapters and the above  :(comment was definitely right, the material in these books is seriously dry and lacking...Anybody use other materilas from other books or chapters that could that could relate to these chapters in anyway? Any help would be greatly appreciated!