August 18, 2018, 06:11:43 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?  (Read 135783 times)

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
Re: Middle School books by Christian H. Kim?
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2011, 09:28:14 PM »
So for Grade 3 lesson 3 I used the "I Wish I Could " PPT that someone here posted and made a few minor changes. I added a slide with the Genie from Aladdin where the groups would get bonus points if they guessed the same wish as Genie. Also I added the "Mind Reader" Game at the end which is basically just the newly weds game from tv. I would have partners get up, in front of the class. One partner would stand by me and the other would have a small whiteboard and go stand by the Korean Teacher. A question would go up on the ppt and the partner with the white board would write an answer and the partner with me would try to "read" their partners mind.

Offline BenjaminThurn

• Adventurer
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2011, 09:31:08 PM »
As I mentioned in an earlier post, my school likes me to make one reading before each exam so that they can include a question or two from it on the exam. Lesson 3 for grade two is "Another Earth", so I have attached the short reading that I  edited  from a science website for kids about Mars that we will read in class next and the students will then have a question on their exam about it.

Offline CombattlerV

• Adventurer
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:08 AM »
Doing review coming up for grade 1 and 3 and made a simple trivia style basketball game.  GOt the idea from someone on here and it should be pretty fun.  Basically make teams and get a recycling bin or a can of some sort.  Then use a ball of a crunched up ball of paper.  Make a two point line and a three point line.  I made a bunch of cards with a lot of the expressions and cultural trivia from the first three chapters.  If they get the question right, they can shoot for points.  They can choose three or two point lines to shoot from.  Going to do it with both Grade 1 and 3 classes.  Here are the cards so you can change it up however you want.  I got 30 questions and if I use all of them, reshuffle and keep going.  More practice the better.

Offline CombattlerV

• Adventurer
« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2011, 07:38:15 AM »
whoops.  Forgot to post the grade 3 review as well.  sorry about double posting!  Playing the same game as I mentioned above!

Offline Laura123

• Waygookin
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »
I am having difficulty with grade 3, lesson four. My creative juices aren't flowing today....anyone have any ideas??

Offline jdog1234

• Explorer
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2011, 12:38:33 PM »
Laura123.  I feel ya.  If anyone has some ideas let me know.  For grade 1 I am going to cover the Listen and Speak then use a price as right ppt i grabbed of here.

Offline lukelui

• Waygookin
« Reply #106 on: April 16, 2011, 12:39:25 PM »
hello all.

Im also using the same text books. I think that this facility is great for helping each other out. I teacging grades two and three. I wonder how everyone else is teahing in there schools. In my school we typically do the warm up and listen and speak one an two in one period. In the following period we would do the conversation. The third is then some kind of review followed by a game or free class whwhere i pick the topic.

So i wonder is it like that for tpu too?
~

Offline ottokhae

• Adventurer
« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2011, 10:41:37 AM »
Grade 1, Lesson 3: A Rich Father and His Poor Son

Lesson theme: Funny stories and cartoons

Original credit goes to jellomando [http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,348.0.html], but I updated the ppt to match our textbook's lesson.

Good luck!~

Offline Alida

• Waygookin
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2011, 01:02:05 PM »
here is a bomb game for grade 1 lesson 3 using textbook sentences for negatives and questions

Offline SeattleBen

• Adventurer
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »
I am using this lesson this week with the 1st graders for Lesson 3.
I am focusing on "Do you know how to..." with the pictures and
playing a kind of bing game. There are also sentences to fix.

Offline SeattleBen

• Adventurer
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2011, 09:37:43 PM »
Here's what I did for the 2nd graders. We are still on lesson 2! It's
been hard to come up with so many lesson plans for this chapter.

Offline deltablues

• Adventurer
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2011, 09:22:58 AM »
This is my grade 1, lesson 3.

I focused on "Do you know how to ____?, Do you like ____ing?" questions.  For the part with the pictures, I elicited the sentences from the students, and then asked who knows how to ___, and who likes ___ing.

I also used the "do you like + gerund-job for you" game posted here: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,703.0.html

I changed the worksheet to remove the questions at the top--my students rushed to finish it before we could talk about each question and this way they will have to follow along.

At the end of class, we played tic-tac-toe--divide the class into two teams, and two people from a team complete the short dialogue, filling in the blank for whatever square they want.  It's fun.

Offline TurkeyDonkey

• Waygookin
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2011, 08:13:16 AM »
Grade 2 Lesson 4 Part 1 ( I divide all of my lessons into 2 parts)

I start with this Simpsons missing dialog exercise to get them warmed up and review last week's conversation.

After that we go through p.56 A and B

Then I show them this "Where would you like to go?" Prezi that I made: http://prezi.com/a7wtdym4ilag/a-great-trip/

Then, we discuss the terms 'hometown' and 'famous' and complete p.56 C

If time allows (and it usually does not), I ask the students to write down where they would like to go and answer these questions (which I write on the board before class):

What would you like to do?
What would you like to buy?
Where would you like to eat?
What would you like to know?

Offline Rowanteacher

• Featured Contributor
  • Veteran
« Reply #113 on: April 21, 2011, 10:36:59 AM »
I need to vent a little so:

Is anyone else driven TO DISTRACTION by the CDs for these books, I mean the audio CDs to play the conversations, which aren't normal audio CDs but have their own stupid player incorporated on them them. If I have to change between CDs between classes, it takes the best part of five minutes as it flashes up error messages about there being so disk, won't let you close the program until you put the original disk back then takes 5 minutes to load the player to play the new disk. IT MAKES ME VERY ANGRY!!

There, that feels much better!

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #114 on: April 21, 2011, 03:17:21 PM »
Here's a PPT for grade 2 lesson 3. It's my second class for the lesson. The first one was spent on the conversation and a game (there's a bit of review on the PPT); this one is outside the textbook, dealing with planets etc.

The warm-up is an activity where the first student in a row says, "I'm going to outer space, and I'm going to bring my bla bla." The next student in the row adds another thing, and we see which row can get every student to remember their row's answers.
Then there's an 'experiment' bit at the beginning where I bring a basketball into class.
The page with the planets I'm using more to teach the idea of mnemonics rather than expecting the students to remember all the planet names (though some of them already know the names), hence the bit on the right.

The worksheet is meant to be completed along with the presentation.

Offline jinjuyou

• Adventurer
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2011, 08:10:05 AM »
Woops, my ratios are off. In the second experiment, the Sun should be about 2.8 kms away.

Offline jayd22j

• Waygookin
« Reply #116 on: April 24, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »
Hey folks,
We've got midterm's approaching at the end of this week. I put together a jeopardy game for my third graders. The categories are mostly based off of the first three chapters of the book (I wish, newspaper terms, clubs, gods and goddesses, and a miscellaneous section of stuff that I did with them not from the book). Enjoy.

Sorry I forgot to mention...

The jeopardy questions are letters instead of point values. I used a paper ball and basket concept from another teacher in this thread. Instead of rewarding the students points for a correct answer, one team member gets a chance to shoot a paper ball at a basket. I've got three different distances (2 points, 3 points, and a pretty difficult 5 point shot). It works pretty well, and the lower level students get pretty into it. Make sure you come up with a system to make the teams  take  turns with who is actually making the shot.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 08:09:30 AM by jayd22j »

Offline GraceNYC116

• Explorer
« Reply #117 on: April 24, 2011, 11:28:51 AM »
It might be too late to use as most classes are probably finishing up Lesson 3 for Grade 2, but I stumbled on a good idea for the grammar point, "How can you be so sure?". 

First, I showed students the cover of the book, The Road" that only has words on it.  I asked them to tell me what they thought the book would be about and if they would want to read it.  Most said no, it looked boring.  I then showed them the movie poster of the The Road and told them that the book was in fact interesting.  I then explained the meaning of the English expression, "Don't judge a book by its cover".  In learned that there is a similar saying in Korean. 

I then asked students to open their book to the conversation on page 41 of the textbook and we practiced.  I explained the meaning of "How can you be so sure?" and how it relates to "Don't judge a book by its cover." 

I then showed students a YouTube clip of Britain's Got Talent Show episode where Susan Boyle surprises the judges and the audience, further illustrating the grammar point. 

Then I wrote the conversation on the board but left the italicized words out and asked the class to help me write a conversation that fit the Susan Boyle performance.  I had students practice that as a class and with their partner. 

If there was time and depending on the class, I also showed students photos of people that they might hold a stereotype about (homeless person, a smart-looking girl with glasses, a man in a Benz) and asked them to work with their partners to create their own conversations to fit the picture.  In some classes, if there was enough time, I had students stand up and present their conversation.

Offline NeynaD

• Waygookin
« Reply #118 on: April 26, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
Grade 3 Chapter 2 has the theme of greek gods and goddesses. Therefore I did a prezi lesson that ties in the concept of Greek gods/goddesses with their Roman god counterparts. Not only do they learn about Greek and Roman mythology, they also get to learn a bit about our Solar System. It was a really interesting class. After, I divided the class into groups of 4 and had them create their own Korean Mythology. 10 Sentences minimum and they were to do a presentation after. This took about 2 classes to do. It's interesting to see what they came up with as their gods/goddesses.

Here is the link to my prezi lesson : http://prezi.com/lasdj0p585ny/greekroman-gods-and-our-solar-system/

Offline craw88

• Explorer
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2011, 10:58:26 AM »
Anyone have any ideas on Grade 3 Lesson 4?

I'm at a loss but want to do something fun for the students after their midterms.