March 26, 2019, 04:12:07 AM

Author Topic: WHERE TO BUY FOREIGN PRODUCTS  (Read 107954 times)

Offline holtd2

• Waygookin
Re: WHERE TO BUY FOREIGN PRODUCTS
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2011, 10:30:36 AM »
Try the food court in Shineagae, it has loads of foreigner friendly foods such as cereals and spices, plus it has an enormous selection of wine.
Also those of you who shop in Homeplus will know how much better it is than E-mart or Lotte, because it has plenty of products that come from Tesco, a British supermarket.  So you can buy your coffee, breakfast, and occasionally show surprise products.
There is also the Nampo-dong market where you can buy Quaker oats and liquor from all over the world, and it's quite cheap.

Offline Tammy

• Newgookin
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 10:10:18 PM »
I live in the Suwon / Osan area.

I have found Home Plus to be a good place for many things I'm looking for. I also have found more and more things at Lotte Mart and E-Mart. So ask if you don't see what you're looking for.

There are several CostCo's around Korea and they are building more. Look for one nearest you.

I have found the "Body Shop" and "Skin Food" to be good places for skin care products.

Ask at your favorite restaurant about where they get their supplies, we have found some that sell items. There are several Indian places in Suwon that sell items. We found custard powder at one near the station.

Outside most of the US bases you will find shops that sell items, too.

Happy shopping.

Offline adlez

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 11:54:39 PM »
Where can I buy Med lemon??!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline jj_esl

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2011, 02:14:37 PM »

I recently ordered something from iherb.com and ended up having to pay 39, 000 won in taxes to the Korean customs.  The package I ordered was fairly big, however if you can find what you're looking for from a Korean site I'd recommend that.

The threshold is 150,000 KRW (including freight). If it's over that, you will pay customs fees.

Is the 150,000W threshold certain? (And how do you find out about the custom fees- it would be useful to know) I'd like to buy a couple of things from iHerb and don't want to be hit with customs charges.

Offline Davey

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 02:26:44 PM »

I recently ordered something from iherb.com and ended up having to pay 39, 000 won in taxes to the Korean customs.  The package I ordered was fairly big, however if you can find what you're looking for from a Korean site I'd recommend that.

The threshold is 150,000 KRW (including freight). If it's over that, you will pay customs fees.

Is the 150,000W threshold certain? (And how do you find out about the custom fees- it would be useful to know) I'd like to buy a couple of things from iHerb and don't want to be hit with customs charges.

Yes. As long as you're below 150,000 KRW (INCLUDING SHIPPING), you won't get charged. Bear in mind that you'll have to do some currency converting as iherb.com gives you the total in USD.

Customs fees are product-specific; you can ask Korea Customs directly here:

http://english.customs.go.kr/kcsweb/user.tdf?a=user.board.BoardApp&c=2001&board_id=GPB_EN_QNA&mc=ENGLISH_INFORMATION_QNA

------------------------------------------
Search this site using Google by typing, "site:waygook.org [search term]," especially during peak hours. Alternatively, use the site's search function.

EPIK: VISA, RENEWING, PENSION, ETC:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,2614.0.html

Offline yurishoo

• Waygookin
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 02:21:11 PM »
I miss mexican food.  I think I can gather the ingredients to make a decent taco from some of the places mentioned here. Thanks a lot!

Offline decemberrr

• Newgookin
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »
Anybody know where I could find some Reese's peanut butter cups in Seoul? I've been to CostCo's and some shops and they just don't have them. Thanks, in advance.

Offline the map

• Adventurer
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 08:23:10 PM »
You can get tortillas at Costco, which is the only place that I've found that has them.

For English books, the Kyobo bookstore chain usually has a really large English books section.

Offline LemonWater

• Super Waygook
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 09:10:04 AM »
You can get tortillas at Costco, which is the only place that I've found that has them.

Tortillas are becoming more popular (my school even serves them in the cafeteria occasionally).  My local Lotte mart started stocking them a few months ago. They are the same ones that I've seen being sold at foreign food stores, but cheaper. I know Home Plus stocks them too. Look in the frozen foods section. Usually there will be a freezer dedicated to foreign foods. I've found a few rare treasures in these freezers.

Offline Fanwarrior

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »

Tortillas are becoming more popular (my school even serves them in the cafeteria occasionally).  My local Lotte mart started stocking them a few months ago. They are the same ones that I've seen being sold at foreign food stores, but cheaper. I know Home Plus stocks them too. Look in the frozen foods section. Usually there will be a freezer dedicated to foreign foods. I've found a few rare treasures in these freezers.
Yesterday I found Aunt Jemima blueberry waffles and pancakes at the local e-mart. I don't recall seeing them there before, but the price was not bad, 3,700 for 10 waffles.
no syrup though.

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 02:54:35 PM »
To add to the list in the first post:

Various Cities - Western Products

The general rule for Costco vs HomePlus is that Costco is American (with large numbers of Japanese imports) and HomePlus [Tesco] is British.

Tesco, Emart (and WABar oddly who stock re-brand Oettinger to convenience stores) are the big importers of bottled intl. beer in Korea. All you find in bars outside of Itaewon I'd wager come via these guys.

HomePlus [Tesco] now stocks rennet-free vegetarian cheese, and as Rusty points out below, E-Mart sells the full selection of Mainland cheddar direct from NZ at comparable prices (for mass produced mature cheddar, they're pretty much as good as you can expect).

Busan - Indian/Pakistani Products

Aside from Itaewon*, there's a conglomeration of stores in Sasang, Busan. It's in the laneway beside one of the department stores/hypermarkets ... I think it's an E-mart. There should also be a few scattered around Gyeongnam Province in general (places such as (Gimhae) due to a not insignificant migrant population.

*Update: Daejeon has Indian groceries now too! See below.

Daejeon - Various Foreign Products

Daejeon has both a Costco Outlet (besides Seo-daejeon KTX terminal in case you live out around Iksan or Osong) and an E-mart Traders (north end of town, far from the KTX).

In Daejeon, some foreign import groceries are sold (generally fancier stuff and for a heck of a markup on top of the usual markup) in the basement of Timeworld Galleria in Dunsan.

The World Food store opposite the Jungang markets outside Daejeon KTX station has recently expanded their stock considerably. The hard and fast of it is they now have Indian/Pakistani goods and a large variety of men's deodorant (no Axe/Lynx mind) on sale since 7/11 and E-mart stopped stocking it some months back. No more trips to Itaewon/Sasang for those of us living in the midlands! The entire shop is worth a second look if you've been before and thought it was limited.

I've heard tales of a foreign food store down by KBS in Manyeong-dong (near the Dongbangsak Leports jimjjilbang) that stocks Italian goods unavailable elsewhere in Daejeon. Haven't got down there yet to check it out in person though.

Another general "Asian" grocer exists in Shintanjin, head north from the station and turn right at the major intersection, it's on your left up the hill.

And a further smaller Chinese mini-mart has just opened in Jayang-dong, outside Woosong University West Campus's main East Gate, next to the Caffe Bene (outside proposed Jayang Station on imaginary Line 2 if you consult the latest map).

Please feel free to incorporate any of this stuff into the OP if you can. I'm updating this as new developments occur, too.

Decemberrr... I've never tried a Reece's cup, but I've heard of them so they must be pretty legendary. I vaguely recall hearing a while back that the US bases stock them (biggest ones are Seoul and Daegu), so you'll have to know a friend or try local greymarket sellers.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 11:03:14 AM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline MasanMan

• Veteran
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2011, 02:44:13 PM »
Anybody know where I could find some Reese's peanut butter cups in Seoul? I've been to CostCo's and some shops and they just don't have them. Thanks, in advance.

The only place I have seen them is at the Daegu Costco. They were in a variety pack.

Offline notinKS

• Super Waygook
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »

The only place I have seen them is at the Daegu Costco. They were in a variety pack.

I found a 10.5 oz bag on Saturday in Namdaemun Market!! They were at two different booths: one bag was 7,000 or 8,000 won. However, the owners said that starting next month they won't be able to display candies like Reese's anymore (they also had 3 Musketeers and Milky Ways-I was very close to crying, I was so excited)

The directions to the building are in the original post. One of the booths was right next to the escalator and the other is 남산상회 130호 (I took a picture so I could remember it.) The owner was friendly and spoke some English.

Like I said, they were ridiculously expensive, but they were a huge help when I was extremely homesick last week*^^*

Offline Fredexplorer

• Newgookin
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2011, 06:46:35 PM »
High Street Market in Itaewon has all kinds of foreign products, from ingredients to make mexican food, italian food, good cheeses, they have a deli and fresh baked bread.  It is a little pricey, but sometimes you will pay a little more for things you really want!

Offline richarquis

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2011, 01:37:03 PM »
I'm having a hard time finding clothes in Busan, namely shoes and pants, having very long legs and big feet.

I've found shoes.com sells and ships to Korea for about US$50 extra in shipping and customs. If I can find quality clothes locally, I'd rather try that first. Anyone have experience in this area?

Narcissus - Shoes in Busan. Do you know Texas Street? In case you don't, check the map.
Right in the centre, you can see the intersection of Jungangdero 179 bon-gil, and Deyongro 243 bon-gil. I'm pretty certain that the latter is "Texas St." Walking from the Busan Station end towards the Nampodong end (top to bottom on the map) the shop to look for is at an intersection on Texas St, on the left hand corner when you have crossed the intersection. (Or, standing in the centre of the intersection, facing Nampodong, it's at the 9 o'clock position.) The shop is called Sankt Peterburg, it's written in Cyrillic, so Санкт-Петербург. The store owners speak Russian and Korean, so if you can speak either of them, you'll be fine. They stock sizes 300-320 mens shoes pretty much all the time. Not a great variety to choose from, but good when you just need a pair in a hurry. If you want a proper selection, Itaewon is your best bet.

Offline Paul

• Featured Contributor
  • The Legend
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2011, 11:39:37 AM »
Matty: Online, Costco, Homeplus[Tesco] or E-mart.

Wow, thanks for the heads up Rusty. I'm checking that out ASAP. Finally some proper cheddar! Don't get me wrong, I love the creamier European cheeses too, but I've been waiting for this to happen: the only full cheddar blocks I've seen previously were sub-par American imports via Costco.

(they also had 3 Musketeers and Milky Ways-I was very close to crying, I was so excited)

I spotted Milky Ways in a local Korean non-chain convenience store last week. Did a double-take.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2011, 12:23:43 PM by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

Offline phillberto

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2011, 12:36:18 PM »
The Food section in Hyundai department stores carry some foreign stuff. It's not really consistent but it can be useful if you have a sweet tooth.

Offline Harpoinseoul

• Expert Waygook
  • www.harpo.ca
« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »
EMART TRADERS in North Yongin has food that is a little cheaper~but in bulk~than other places. The have just started carrying DORSET CEREALS!! (It's about 45% less than EMart used to charge. I bought 6 boxes.) I do hope that they order more. Warning: Their Calzone (sitting there for hours) & lasagna kinda suck, but their combo pizza just out of the oven is not too shabby!!
Skype Video Counselor in Coquitlam, BC

Make the best use of what's in your power; take the rest as it comes.

The thing that upsets people is not what happens; but what they think it means.

Epictetus (55 - 135 C.E.)

Inter-faith spiritual counselor
http://www.harpo.ca

Offline K

• Super Waygook
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2011, 08:03:25 AM »
I had a look and didn't see this previously posted.

This is the best website I have found for baking! Even better than ehomebaking, which is suggested on the first page.

http://www.ehomebakery.com/src/main/indexpage.php

It's easy to login and use! They also have things like pizza crust, cookie kits, cake mix, etc.

Offline twolven

• Waygookin
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2011, 10:51:25 AM »
Where can I find ravioli??????? Costco?

;D Thank you for posting this! I have been looking for some of these things. I really need to find a place to sell shoes also. My feet are too big for most shoe places in Korea.. and where I do find ones that fit.. the selection is small.