June 22, 2018, 06:49:29 PM

Author Topic: UK Teachers - Pension  (Read 50797 times)

Offline moc-moc-a-moc!

• Super Waygook
Re: UK Teachers - Pension
« Reply #160 on: October 24, 2016, 03:19:33 PM »
I'm from Northern Ireland, so I can apply for a Republic of Ireland passport. I wonder if that would help me get to the money any easier.

For 13 million won, I think it'd be worth the paperwork.

The situation stinks right now, that money has basically been robbed.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #161 on: January 08, 2017, 09:43:24 PM »
I've read about people adamant that, for citizens on an F visa, it's not compulsory to pay pension contributions.

As a UK citizen, this would be great.

This thread seems well informed. Anyone know about this?

Offline Busan1

• Veteran
« Reply #162 on: January 08, 2017, 09:50:41 PM »
Just get your employer to pay the pension contributions directly to you instead of sending it to the pension people. Problem solved. I saw a job ad at a hakwon and they said they do not pay pension contributions at all for some reason. I though it was rather odd. Either that or just ask for 100,000 per month extra salary and that's your pension

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #163 on: January 09, 2017, 07:03:53 AM »
Just get your employer to pay the pension contributions directly to you instead of sending it to the pension people. Problem solved. I saw a job ad at a hakwon and they said they do not pay pension contributions at all for some reason. I though it was rather odd. Either that or just ask for 100,000 per month extra salary and that's your pension

Well, it might solve that problem, but it creates a new one.  It's illegal, so the Pension Office will ask you to pay after all.  You might have to pay the employer's contribution too, if they didn't.

Offline Busan1

• Veteran
« Reply #164 on: January 09, 2017, 09:40:43 AM »
And it's not illegal to not pay someone his pension that he has accrued? I think it is. Employers wouldn't probably pay you the pension though if you asked them.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2017, 10:21:43 AM »
And it's not illegal to not pay someone his pension that he has accrued? I think it is. Employers wouldn't probably pay you the pension though if you asked them.

What?

Here's how it works.  All workers must pay pension.  Usually half the pension contribution is paid by the employee (deducted from wages) and the other half by the employer.  South Africans are exempt from paying pension.

When you leave, you get a lump sum of the pension contributions you have made.  Except certain nationalities such as UK and NZ.

So you have to pay, and so does your employer, but you don't get it back, just like all UK citizens working here.

Offline Busan1

• Veteran
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »
You don't have to pay if you negotiate with your employer that you're from the UK and don't want to pay into the pension system cos you can't get it out again. Like I said, one hakwon job said they don't pay pensions which I thought was rather odd but that's what the recruiter told me anyway. Most employers wouldn't not pay your pension as as you say, it's probably illegal, but who cares if they don't? Who's going to know?

Offline Busan1

• Veteran
« Reply #167 on: January 09, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »
It's hardly a pension anyway. I think 99,000 won per month or something like that. That's about 1m won a year or 1000 dollars. Probably about 900 quid UK.  Even working here 10 years (and you can get your pension back after 10 years if you're from the UK), it will only be 9000. You can get 5000 quid a year on the dole doing nout.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #168 on: January 09, 2017, 11:46:55 AM »
You do have to pay pension.  Employers have to pay their share too.  It is not negotiable or optional.  Full stop.  The end.

If you don't then it will be discovered and you will be fined.  You might not get caught, but if your employer is doing this then they are probably doing other things that are detrimental to you, such as not paying your tax, or not paying for health insurance.  Not paying pension (and advertising it as a benefit) is a huge red flag, and should be a warning for anyone considering working there.

Offline Busan1

• Veteran
« Reply #169 on: January 09, 2017, 12:04:36 PM »
How can it be discovered? Do you think the pension office knows which teachers work where? I doubt it. Why is it a huge red flag if they don't pay your pension? There's companies in the UK who don't pay into the pension fund too. My boss has not paid my health insurance since I started working here cos I went to the Dr, the Dr called my health insurance and they told me I was not insured cos I had switched jobs nd my new employer hadn't (hasn't) paid my health insurance. I told my boss and he said that I should be automatically insured when I register my new job with immigration. That's what he said. I know he is just a BS-er though. I think he paid my pension but because he is a 1-stop-shop Korean Joe hakwon owner, I didn't get a payslip from him and he paid me in cash too. So I don't know what deductions he made. Luckily I should get paid tomorrow one full and final month before I go and I won't even say good bye after all the trouble he has caused me.

Offline orionchocopie

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #170 on: January 09, 2017, 12:17:13 PM »
How can it be discovered? Do you think the pension office knows which teachers work where? I doubt it. Why is it a huge red flag if they don't pay your pension? There's companies in the UK who don't pay into the pension fund too. My boss has not paid my health insurance since I started working here cos I went to the Dr, the Dr called my health insurance and they told me I was not insured cos I had switched jobs nd my new employer hadn't (hasn't) paid my health insurance. I told my boss and he said that I should be automatically insured when I register my new job with immigration. That's what he said. I know he is just a BS-er though. I think he paid my pension but because he is a 1-stop-shop Korean Joe hakwon owner, I didn't get a payslip from him and he paid me in cash too. So I don't know what deductions he made. Luckily I should get paid tomorrow one full and final month before I go and I won't even say good bye after all the trouble he has caused me.

You are a member of a very visible, very small, set of people.  Your presence is known and monitored by immigration.  Your employer and working location is known by the Pension office.  It doesn't take much to see that Mr. X in Busan is working at Happy English hagwon but hasn't made any contributions yet.

You are a fool for not checking your pension and tax details with the pension and tax offices; for not getting a payslip and checking that your pay and deductions are correct; and for not insisting or checking you are correctly enrolled with NHIC.

Good luck getting paid tomorrow.  Your guy has no money, remember?

Offline Busan1

• Veteran
« Reply #171 on: January 09, 2017, 01:07:27 PM »
I am not a fool. I just work for a dumbass Korean who has not got much of a business left (40 odd students) and I don't really need to check my tax at the tax office or my pension because I can't get my pension back so what's the point checking if my pension is being paid? I bet it isn't! Don't care though as I am out of ROK very very soon. I don't even check with the tax office in the UK. I just see what they have deducted from my paycheque. There's no point asking this Korean hakwon owner for a payslip cos he will just make an excuse why you don't need one or something. He's got all the info on his computer I think cos he was doing my pay on his computer when I first got paid.

You may well be right that the pension office knows if so and so has paid his pension or not, but it depends if immigration tells them where you work and who you are.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow to be paid. I know he will pay late though. Last time he paid 2 or 3 days late in cash on the table. A REAL KOREAN JOE TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS AND WHICH WAS CONVEYED TO ME VIA KAKAO BEFORE I ACCEPTED THE JOB. IN two more weeks, everyone in American , Canada and the UK are gonn know who this Korean Joe, this shady Mafioso is.

Offline Dave Stepz

• The Legend
« Reply #172 on: June 28, 2017, 07:06:10 AM »
Hallelujah!!! 

I made ten years!!!

My pension isn't pissed down the drain!!!

Here's to my 300 000 won when I retire!!!

Offline kyndo

• The Legend
« Reply #173 on: June 28, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
Hallelujah!!! 
I made ten years!!!

I have some friends who are adamant that in order to collect monthly pension payouts, one has to reside in Korea.
Can anybody confirm or disprove this?

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #174 on: June 28, 2017, 10:16:56 AM »
I am not a fool. I just work for a dumbass Korean who has not got much of a business left (40 odd students) and I don't really need to check my tax at the tax office or my pension because I can't get my pension back so what's the point checking if my pension is being paid? I bet it isn't! Don't care though as I am out of ROK very very soon. I don't even check with the tax office in the UK. I just see what they have deducted from my paycheque. There's no point asking this Korean hakwon owner for a payslip cos he will just make an excuse why you don't need one or something. He's got all the info on his computer I think cos he was doing my pay on his computer when I first got paid.

You may well be right that the pension office knows if so and so has paid his pension or not, but it depends if immigration tells them where you work and who you are.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow to be paid. I know he will pay late though. Last time he paid 2 or 3 days late in cash on the table. A REAL KOREAN JOE TO BE AVOIDED AT ALL COSTS AND WHICH WAS CONVEYED TO ME VIA KAKAO BEFORE I ACCEPTED THE JOB. IN two more weeks, everyone in American , Canada and the UK are gonn know who this Korean Joe, this shady Mafioso is.

What happened to this babble?

Online Cyanea

• Super Waygook
« Reply #175 on: January 23, 2018, 09:28:50 PM »
Hallelujah!!! 
I made ten years!!!

I have some friends who are adamant that in order to collect monthly pension payouts, one has to reside in Korea.
Can anybody confirm or disprove this?

There was an english poster on here formerly known as "schwa", I think, who actually reached retirement age here. I seem to remember that he organized via a lawyer for his pension to be paid into his account while he went and lived elsewhere.

Although nobody seems to really know.
Catch my drift?

Offline sleepy

• Veteran
« Reply #176 on: January 24, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »
Anyone that is (actively) paying into a pension gets a yearly letter from them (normally posted to your work address) stating the number of months (total) that you've paid into it and your estimated pension amount if you continue to earn that salary until you reach 60.

If you do not get one of these a year it's either because you/your employer registered you at your old apartment address and you moved.

OR they posted to your company and they are too lazy/incompetent to give it to you.

Orrrrrrrr - they are not paying into the pension scheme! 

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #177 on: January 24, 2018, 10:01:52 AM »
Anyone that is (actively) paying into a pension gets a yearly letter from them (normally posted to your work address) stating the number of months (total) that you've paid into it and your estimated pension amount if you continue to earn that salary until you reach 60.

If you do not get one of these a year it's either because you/your employer registered you at your old apartment address and you moved.

OR they posted to your company and they are too lazy/incompetent to give it to you.

Orrrrrrrr - they are not paying into the pension scheme!

The pension office should get a change of address from Immigration or the -gu office when you change it.  It can take a few months.