January 23, 2019, 06:28:58 PM

Author Topic: Pirate Summer Camp  (Read 53460 times)

Offline ianfer

• Adventurer
  • it's a pizza
Pirate Camp day 1
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2012, 02:29:50 PM »
Pirate Camp Day 1-
oceans, sea monsters, pirates, and pirate ships
many worksheets are in the PPT

have fun!

Offline ianfer

• Adventurer
  • it's a pizza
Pirate Camp
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2012, 10:19:11 AM »
Material for Day 1-
Introduction to pirates, pirate activities

Offline ianfer

• Adventurer
  • it's a pizza
Pirate Camp day 2
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2012, 10:28:57 AM »
Winter Camp day 2-
the pirates learn to navigate by the north star and follow Moby Dick into space

Activities= ship navigation by the stars, planets and stars

Offline miriah.lawrence

• Veteran
Re: Pirate Summer Camp
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2012, 09:20:22 AM »
here is some material for my 2nd-4th grade after school class. 

We made maps on brown paper.  I had them draw and then lable simple things like mountain, sea, forest, tresure.

We made newspaper swords, hooks, origami parrots and skulls, and felt eye patches

After we made everything we did "going on a treasure hunt" song with all of the props, then a short skit.  (I am pirate_____.  Let's fight!  Aye aye...)  they loved it.

These lessons may get a bit rowdy, but it's worth it to have some fun with the kids. enjoy!!!

To find your pirate name:
Pick 3 numbers, each one ranging from 1-10 (you can use the same number more than once).
If you’d like a boy pirate name, pick a number between 1-5 for the last number.
If you’d like a girl pirate name, choose a number between 6 and 10 for the last number.

First word:
1.   Big
2.   Long
3.   Blue
4.   Jolly
5.   Red
6.   Cold
7.   Green
8.   One
9.   Black
10.   Stump

Second word:
1.   Eye
2.   Boot
3.   Belly
4.   Bottom
5.   Leg
6.   Ear
7.   Mouth
8.   Tooth
9.   Lip
10.   Foot

Third word:
1.   Bob
2.   Willy
3.   Bart
4.   Bill
5.   Kid
6.   Ann
7.   Bonny
8.   Bess
9.   Mary
10.   Sue

Offline prigov

• Adventurer
Pirates Summer Camp - Elementary
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
My theme for Elementary 3rd and 4th Grade camp last year was Pirates. We had about two days of 3 - 4 hours each.
We made pirate themed crafts, learnt a song and played pirate themed games. I used a PPT for vocab and the kids loved the animated gifs. We were going to do a word search but never got around to it.

I found most of the craft activities here:
http://www.busybeekidscrafts.com/Pirate-Crafts.html
http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/pirates/pirates.html

We made a parrot, the flag and the eye patch. The crafts were great for vocab words like scissors, cut, stick and glue.

There is also this great game on the DLTK site: http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/pirates/mpiratepirate.html

3rd Grade loved the Wiggles song The Friendly Pirate Ship, and really got into the dancing. 4th Grade, not so much

We had a pirate treasure hunt at the end, where students had to find tokens hidden all over the school and make sets of matching words. The team with the most matched sets won a prize.

There's also this great little animation:

Hope other students enjoy this as much as mine did :-)

Offline prigov

• Adventurer
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
I did a similar camp last year but there are so many great ideas here I might use them in class. I love the pirate names.

Offline lauren elizabeth

• Veteran
Re: Pirates Summer Camp - Elementary
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »
I don't teach middle school but I thought maybe you would find these worksheets useful.

The first two pages in the attachment are meant to be printed, cut out and laminated. It's goes with this Peter Pan scene: http://youtu.be/qHh5Ra4KgCY. Students are meant to match the text to the picture from the scene then put them in the correct order. I actually found it a bit difficult to find a scene on youtube that was simple enough in both action and dialogue but it could easily be adapted to suite your needs (or movie) if you don't want to use this one.

The second two worksheets go with this scene" (from 1:00 to 2:00). For this activity a clip is played without sound and students write down words they think the character they're assigned to might say (eg: crocodile, help, etc). Next they create a dialogue or skit with their partner using the words they wrote down. This might be a little hard...  This too can be used with a different clip. I'm not entirely satisfied with the scene and also found it hard or too time consuming to find a clip that only had two people in it and plenty of physical action that gave the students something to work with. If you do find a good pirate clip that fits the bill, please let me know! Additionally, you might want to provide a transcript for those that want to know what they're really saying afterwards.

Finally, the last worksheet is a gapfill for this song:

Offline prigov

• Adventurer
Re: Pirates Summer Camp - Elementary
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2012, 08:33:28 AM »
If you do find a good pirate clip that fits the bill, please let me know!

Thanks Lauren Elizabeth. I love the first two worksheets! I'm going to try out the scene order idea with my after school class using this video:

I teach low to intermediate level Elementary students and without a translator, so I try to always use clips or videos with limited talking. There is also the video in my post above that has zero words, but can be used for dialogue perhaps? And there is a complete Tom & Jerry film - which I'm considering using sections from

Thanks again  :D

Offline lauren elizabeth

• Veteran
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2012, 03:32:27 PM »
Here's a few things I made up.

The first is a pirate lingo PPT. Eventually I'll get around to making a matching worksheet.

The second file is a set of worksheets that go along with some youtube videos. The first two activities can easily be altered to match the video of your choice but I had some difficulties finding videos that had limited speech, few characters and plenty of physical action to guide the students in what was happening:

The first activity goes with this Peter Pan scene: http://youtu.be/qHh5Ra4KgCY. Students are meant to match the text to the picture from the scene then put them in the correct order.

The second activities  go with this scene, also from Peter Pan:  (from 1:00 to 2:00). For this activity a clip is played without sound and students write down words they think the character they're assigned to might say (eg: crocodile, help, etc). Next they create a dialogue or skit with their partner using the words they wrote down. This might be a little hard depending on your students level... Additionally, you might want to provide a transcript for those that want to know what they're really saying afterwards because the actual dialogue is fast.

Finally, the last worksheet is a gapfill for this song:

The third attachment are two worksheets, one in which the students must choose five people the would want on desert island with them and the other is a what 5 things would they bring with them. The latter half has a PPT in which I introduce 17 items from which they must choose their 5. There's also a word search that requires them to write down each of the 17 items you show them (otherwise my students tend to ignore me and just do the word search)

Offline Calamity Jane

• Newgookin
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
I made a lot of plans in the past few months to do a pirate summer camp, then had way too many students sign up so we had to split up classes and cut down the material. I'll post the original plan, the new plan and the plan for the advanced class (the students who went to the English competition).

Offline Calamity Jane

• Newgookin
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2012, 12:50:19 PM »
Sorry forgot to mention class times. The original schedule is for 3 40 minute classes. The revised schedule is for an hour and 5 minute class (we'll have two of those a day, with different students of course) and then the advanced class is for 2 40 minute classes.

Offline Calamity Jane

• Newgookin
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2012, 08:08:50 AM »
Since I can't attach my ppts, I'll at least share this site. When I eventually am able to post the powerpoints, you'll need these fonts:
meddon
rapscallion
treasure map deadhand
a skeleton in your closet

They're really fun fonts and you can find them all (and more) here:
http://www.fontspace.com/category/pirates

Offline biggestbunny

• Explorer
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2012, 11:36:36 AM »
Bomb game for pirate camp.
Thanks to the original designer of the game.
please check it before you use it. i think its running ok.  :D
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:02:46 PM by biggestbunny »

Offline biggestbunny

• Explorer
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »
more pirate stuff.
make a 'wanted' poster featuring one of your crew.
draw and describe them.
kudos to the originator of this poster. i forget who.

Offline biggestbunny

• Explorer
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
Mystery box game.
featuring countries and flags.
because pirates travel, don't they?
a very tenuous link there - but a fun game nonetheless.
my kids love it.

Offline biggestbunny

• Explorer
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
near the end of class, the kids have to write their daily pirate's log.
i collect the logs and then get the kids to read them out in class the next morning.
good for getting them reading and writing.
cheers to the original designer of this.

Offline Matthew1987

• Explorer
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2012, 01:48:30 PM »

Offline purpletequila

• Veteran
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2012, 10:04:43 AM »
Newbie here, and though this is a last year post but I dig this idea. It's like finding a life boat after drowning in the sea that was my tired Summer Camp plan. Have no idea if this is relevant but I am uploading a game template I found for those final days when all seems lost. I'm using it for the last day of camp after movie and worksheet have been completed.

Offline ka-eel

• Adventurer
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »
I made this Powerpoint to introduce pirates to younger kids. It is kind of a vocabulary introduction to pirates and it uses the Pink Panther clip posted earlier in this thread and adds vocabulary slides + a simple memory game at the end. I think its decent if you are already using the Pink Panther clip.

Offline RachelTibai

• Veteran
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
Some materials from my Pirate camp (last summer). Good for elementary.