January 23, 2019, 05:39:57 PM

Author Topic: Pirate Summer Camp  (Read 53458 times)

Offline POH7100

• Adventurer
Re: Pirate Summer Camp
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
Thanks for the great material! I'll be using some of it for my three day summer camp. About the cannonball recipe...how many cannonballs/kids does the recipe you provided cater for? I'll have about 20 kids in each of my classes and I'm planning to break them into four groups of five. Should I provide each group with the measurements in the recipe?

Offline teacher25

• Waygookin
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 03:30:04 PM »
This is so awesome!! I am just revising this camp and putting the material together, but I can't find the script for role play day.. Do you mind adding it or e-mail it to me?
Thanks so much, I really think my summer camp is going to be arrrrrrrrrghsome

Offline rookiewaygook

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 03:29:22 PM »
I know choose your own adventures have been done before, but I needed a pirate themed one for my summer camp. This is the first one I've made, and so as simple as it is, I'm really proud of my work.

Hope it helps you guys out!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:33:55 PM by rookiewaygook »

Offline cwells

• Adventurer
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 09:54:43 AM »
Some materials I've collected and modified a little to suit my students.

Offline village_idiot77

• Adventurer
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 12:16:12 PM »
thanks for the resources, cwells  :D

Offline bobmarley

• Waygookin
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 02:31:14 PM »

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2011, 03:49:38 PM »
Thanks for all the great materials.

Here is a "Pirates of the Caribbean" themed game template called "pass the ball" or "pass the skull."

I recommend making an origami skull first, although this is optional. You could also just use a regular ball: http://www.google.co.kr/search?hl=ko&rlz=1T4PCTC_koKR375KR375&q=ORIGAMI%20SKULL&spell=1&sa=X

The PPT includes the "Pirates of the Caribbean" theme song. The students stand in the circle and pass the skull or ball while the music plays. The one holding it when the music stops then answers a question or identifies the picture shown on screen.

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »
@rookiewaygook, thank you so much for your hard work. It's fantastic: nice story and attractive presentation. I changed the vocab and grammar to make it suitable for my lower-level students. I've attached my versions (one English only, and one with some Korean) which might be good for both elementary and low-level middle school students. 

Also attached is a "story vocab" ppt and a "lucky wheel" game to practice vocabulary from the story. (vocab: pirate, captain, treasure, find, hide, take, leave, attack, help, sail)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 11:43:09 AM by Amy Rodulfo »

Offline emia18

• Waygookin
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »
Hey guys,
Here is my 5th and 6th grade Pirate camp. I could easily be used with higher level 3/4th graders or revised to use with middle school.

I have attached my detailed lesson plan and materials but the basic format is this:

Day 1 - Introductions, Forming crews, introducing the character
Day 2 - Survivor Game, Become "Part of the crew, Part of the ship"
Day 3 - Scavenger hunt, Building Pirate Ships and outdoor games
Day 4- Making Pizza
Day 5 - Review games, photo books, awards, closing

I will attach all of my materials as well as the list of tasks so you know what my ct made. Note for the scavenger hunt day, all the the clues are based on a key where each number represents a letter ie: 1=a 2=b 3=c ....

This site has been great for last minute lessons this year, so I hope this helps people out with their planning!

Offline emia18

• Waygookin
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2011, 03:32:09 PM »
Here are all the powerpoints and a few things I forgot :)

Offline tunes522

• Adventurer
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2011, 03:34:51 PM »
of course i could probably answer my own question by downloading your files...but how many days and how many hours per day is your camp running?

Offline emia18

• Waygookin
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2011, 03:56:23 PM »
5 days 3 hours a day

Offline Amy Rodulfo

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 06:51:56 PM »
Advice needed regarding age ratings and showing movies to students.

What do people think about showing the Pirates of the Caribbean movie (with subtitles) to elementary school students? It's has a PG13 rating. Do you think it would be appropriate to show to grade 4 - 6 students (Western age 9-12)? They are under 13 of course, but is it OK with me, an adult with them (even though it's not strictly parental guidance)? Can a native teacher's guidance act in place of parental guidance?

In my own country, I would probably be wary, but if I wonder if perhaps Korea is more relaxed about age ratings anyway? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Personally, I think the movie won't be disturbing or damaging in any way to the students, but I also don't want to get into any trouble over the age-rating issue. Please could someone advise me?

@emichelle5: thanks for sharing your materials. I think this is a really fun theme for the kids. I bet they'll love pizza day especially.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 08:13:27 PM by Amy Rodulfo »

Offline heffneh

• Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2011, 12:08:02 PM »
Thanks for the great material! I'll be using some of it for my three day summer camp. About the cannonball recipe...how many cannonballs/kids does the recipe you provided cater for? I'll have about 20 kids in each of my classes and I'm planning to break them into four groups of five. Should I provide each group with the measurements in the recipe?

That's perfect. Use the recipe for groups of 5. I had around 20 kids, too.

Offline heffneh

• Adventurer
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2011, 12:11:55 PM »
This is so awesome!! I am just revising this camp and putting the material together, but I can't find the script for role play day.. Do you mind adding it or e-mail it to me?
Thanks so much, I really think my summer camp is going to be arrrrrrrrrghsome

HEY ALL!!!

About the role play scripts... unfortunately, I have no idea what happened to them. I think I deleted them when I was cleaning my computer files. The basic dialogue featured Sanjay, Sarah, the Parrot, and Captain Redbeard's lines from the Treasure Map story on the British Council website (see early posts). I then jazzed it up to have Sanjay be scared of the bats in the cave, so they went the wrong way and ended up in Pirate Cove. Captain Redbeard captured them and the kids chose their ending: Happy, they gave him treasure and he let them go, or Sad, he made them walk the plank. GOOD LUCK!!!

Offline aal0616

• Waygookin
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2011, 01:57:44 PM »
Here's the workbook I created for my Summer Camp :)

Offline mich.elise

• Explorer
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »
This is a really dumb question, but how do I download the workbook? I can't figure it out  :-[

Offline aal0616

• Waygookin
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »
have you contributed anything to waygook.org in the form of lesson plans or money?  if not, you won't even see the attachments.

Offline htan611

• Veteran
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2011, 09:12:31 PM »
Wonderful job creating the workbook. I wouldn't be able to do it. Just curious what grade this is for.  I'm looking through the work book and it seems a bit lower level for my MS students. I might steal an activity for a pirate part in my camp though.

Thanks for sharing!

/EDIT/
I'm an idiot. This is for elementary school and it was on the first page >.<

Offline mich.elise

• Explorer
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2011, 10:53:30 AM »
Thanks. I just read the "lesson plan download" update  :-[ . I knew I must've missed something simple. Uploading now and then looking forward to seeing the Pirates of the Caribbean lp :)