November 27, 2014, 03:15:37 PM

Author Topic: School refuse to give reference...  (Read 3689 times)

Offline adlez

• Veteran
School refuse to give reference...
« on: June 24, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »
Ever had the problem that a school refuse to give reference letters???!
I never had a problem at my school and we all got along fine and they even offered me a new contract, which I did not accept. The principle even thanked me for all the effort I make..LOL...

Offline jaybird

• Super Waygook
Re: School refuse to give reference...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:34:31 PM »
Depending on who you asked, they may be intimated at the prospect of writing a letter of recommendation. Have you tried asking your co-teacher? If you need it in English, you can ask them to write it in Korean and have it translated by a professional service.

Offline adlez

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
I asked for it in Korean!! They say it is "western tradition" So, I asked the co-teacher why I then need 2 referals to get a contract with a "Korean" public school..she just laughed. (Should mention that she is new and a real COW according to the other Korean teachers ..LOL...her first year as a co-teacher and she's only been 3 months with my school.)

Offline DWAEDGIMORIGUKBAP

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
I had this problem one and found out that they cannot refuse to give you a ref letter BY LAW.  Went to my VP and explained this.

My VP ended up saying I could just write my own one and she would sign it.  Needless to say I came away with a very good ref letter he he.

It's not a Western tradition and they do have to give you one.  If this co-teacher refuses, go higher up and explain how important it is and even offer to write your own one for them to sign.

Oh and make sure it's on company / school headed paper or it wont swing with gepik, cepik, epik etc.
If you think you can or can't do a thing - you are probably right.

Support bacteria - they're the only culture some people have.

Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. Mark Twain

Offline adlez

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2011, 02:36:28 AM »
My co-teacher called the GEPIK coordinator...she said it is not compulsory  :'(
but they still expect you to have 2 referrals when you apply for the next job ;-0.

Offline joybot0

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 11:46:02 AM »
Keep in mind that your two referrals can come from other schools and people. My last school refused to give me the rec. letter...because I screwed up with the first coteacher who finished and we got new ones.

You can fight for it or just make sure you have back-ups.

Offline tuckerg76

• Waygookin
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2011, 12:18:46 PM »
I don't know to be honest if schools have to give references by law over here in Korea, hopefully someone can post their source info on this.  But I can share my own little reference story.  I was applying for grad school in 2008 (distance ed online masters) and they required references.  I asked one of my old university profs for help regarding this.  The answer was yes, however I delayed my application by a year to save money, so when I emailed him again (a year later) to explain about the delay and asked him if he would still consider writing the letter.  His answer this time was 'I'm really busy - it's been a long time, why me?'  So I emailed back and explained the specifics of the situation, I told him if he was indeed too busy or uninterested I could get the reference elsewhere.  He gave me the reference, but it wasn't usable, let's just say it wasn't a good reference.  Anyways the point her is that if your vp is unwilling to write it, just let it be.  I highly doubt telling him he legally has to is going to make any difference.  You may get a reference, and it may not be a good one.  Try asking another co-teacher who you get on well with.  A note on culture as well - Koreans when uncomfortable will smile or laugh, it can be frustrating and it's easy to mis-read.  No need to resort to name calling.  Good luck job-hunting and with the reference stuff.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 12:44:37 PM by tuckerg76 »

Offline Koenji

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2011, 02:23:22 PM »
are you looking for a reference letter in English or Korean (for a future job in Korea)?

if it`s the former, then on many occasions they just dont know how to write one in English.....so in the past I (as well as others) have just written our own ref letters and had the VP/Principal sign them).

If that`s not possible, then just ask a co-teacher that u have a good relationship to write one. My friends have done that also.

I know for a fact that under Korean law , they must provide you with a letter that states which dates you were employed. I don`t know about an actual reference though.

Offline Ben-Ja-Meen

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »
Yes.  They must give you a "Certificate Of Employment"  which is not the same thing as a letter of reference.   The first, which they are legally obligated to provide, simply verifies that you worked for them from whenever to whenever.  The second is more of a letter of recommendation, which they are not obligated to provide. 

Offline pak yu man

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
I agree with the guy above.  There's no way anyone has to give you a reference letter...they do have to give you a certificate of employment (which is required for a lot of things in Korea).  If someone forced me to write a letter it would be something like this.

Dear Sir/Maam.

Mo mo mo teacher is a real D-bag who has no skills as a teacher.  Don't hire him/her if you want to stay in business.

Short, easy and to the point.  Perfect.

Offline leabea87

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 10:04:45 PM »
Do you need the LOR to be in English or Korean. If you need it to be in English, why don't you just write it yourself?!

Offline adlez

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 10:12:57 PM »
I got refference letters from the prev co-techers this weekend... does not have the letterhead as req. but  it will have to do.

Offline justanotherwaygook

• Moderator - LVL 3
  • The Legend
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2011, 10:56:59 PM »
I have heard (and would like someone with more knowledge to confirm) that negative reference letters are illegal.  It's based on Korea's slander/libel laws.  These laws, to make a long story short, prevent saying anything negative about a person (ask the Zenkimchi guy).  Even in our home countries some companies are resistant to writing negative things just to cover their behinds from possible litigation.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

Offline adlez

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:07:15 AM »
Yeah, I don't need it now..as my ex co-teachers gave me ref. letters. I was just very surprised that they were not prepared to give me one..seeing we never had any problems and they can't complain about anything. As I mentioned before, the principle even complimented me a few times. I thought of going straight to the principle and ask her for the ref. But decided to just let it go... no point in upsetting the co-teacher and vp by going over their heads.

Offline fishead

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 02:09:53 PM »
In public schools you get a Statement of employment. They tend to be very nautral.
They go something like this

This is to indicate__________ hard work at _________ middle school
______ worked at__________ middle school from _____ to________

These are usually in Korean. They look like Menu's. You get this when you leave your school. The Principal presents it. You accept it and bow.

Offline naturegirl321

• Super Waygook
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »
MIght be because of their English.  Try writing up a reference letter and asking if they'll put it on company letterhead and sign it.
The best TEFL jobs in Korea on TEFL Tips.
Tender Embrace Birthing: childbirth classes, doulas, breastfeeding support, and info about giving birth in Korea

Offline Darth Babaganoosh

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2011, 12:00:09 AM »
I had this problem one and found out that they cannot refuse to give you a ref letter BY LAW.  Went to my VP and explained this.

Not quite. Reference letters are not required by law; it is the Certificate of Employment that is required by law. If they don't want to give you a reference, they don't have to. But if you ask for a CoE, they have no choice but to comply.

CoEs are not the same as reference letters, though. Typically, a CoE only contains information that confirms you were employed there (dates, job title, maybe hours worked), but says nothing of the quality of work or what the boss thinks of you personally. It's strictly facts, not opinion.

Many Korean companies require the CoE and won't even look at a reference letter.

Recent Lesson Plans

Buy/Sell/Trade

Employment