September 23, 2018, 04:58:50 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Urgent: AppleCare in Korea and/or shipping a personal laptop to Korea  (Read 2447 times)

Offline daunting

• Adventurer
Hi all -- I have a somewhat urgent question since I need to figure out what I'm going to do tomorrow morning.

I'm currently in the US, and my MacBook completely died this morning. I took it into the Apple Store, and there's a chance they might have to replace the circuit board. The part normally costs ~$500 but would be covered under my current warranty if done here. HOWEVER, I am leaving for Korea on Monday morning, which is before the (free for me) replacement can be finished.

So, my options are:
(a) get the laptop fixed here in the US under the warranty, then have someone ship it to me in Korea (it's a $1200 laptop that I've been using for about 3-4 months now -- how much would this cost in customs?!)
(b) pay for the repairs out of pocket within Korea (no idea how much this would cost -- does anyone have any estimates?)
(c) try and find some way of using my AppleCare warranty within Korea -- is this even possible despite the lack of Apple Stores?

Thanks all -- I'm freaking out a bit. :(
« Last Edit: June 19, 2011, 07:50:17 AM by daunting »

Offline daunting

• Adventurer
OK, so I called Apple Customer Service, and they told me that I could get the repairs done (at no cost, per warranty) within Korea at an Apple Authorized Service Provider ( http://www.apple.com/kr/support/applecare/aasp/?product=Portable&city= ) as long as I was able to explain the situation to them. Can anyone confirm this? Has anyone used AppleCare within Korea with no problems?

Secondly -- any suggestions as to where to go?

Thanks again!

Offline mogbert

• Veteran
I can confirm that Apple Care works here.  I got a battery replaced earlier this year in Gwangju.

Offline daunting

• Adventurer
I can confirm that Apple Care works here.  I got a battery replaced earlier this year in Gwangju.

This is really good news, thanks. Did you just go to one of the Authorized Service Providers and bring your Apple Care info with you? Did you have to pay anything upfront?