November 19, 2018, 04:13:25 AM

Author Topic: Are countertop electric ovens that sell for around 100,000 won useful?  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Andrea152

• Waygookin
My apartment didn't come with an oven, and I enjoy baking. I am thinking of just getting an electric oven to put on the countertop. I'm talking about the small ones that sell for 100,000 won, not the fully loaded ones that sell for 400,000 won and up.

Are they useful?

Offline Ectofuego

• Featured Contributor
  • Expert Waygook
Apartments very very rarely come with ovens in korea.  I have been here for 3 years now and only know one couple lucky enough to start with an actual oven  *drool.*  That aside the little ovens do work just fine as long as you always take into account for size.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

Offline Jeff619

• Expert Waygook
I bought one and it's one of the best purchases I've made in Korea. 

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
They are great
I cook lasange, mousakka, pizza, cheese on toast, roast potatoes etc etc in mine
actually I have a spare one going for W40,000, a wedding gift that we hardly use if you want it :)

Offline danicke

• Waygookin
They are awesome!

Offline oskinny1

• Expert Waygook
I bought one and it's one of the best purchases I've made in Korea.

AGREED.

Offline jamlove

• Veteran
I bought a real one full size second hand on craigslist for 50,000, instillation was 12,000, best thing I ever did, you can find them easy enough, if you got a friend with a car your sorted.

Offline peasgoodnonsuch

• Featured Contributor
  • Hero of Waygookistan
AndyFoggy, I know you were offering that oven to the OP, but if she doesn't want it I'll buy it! Where are you? If you're near Seoul, Bundang, or Yongin I could pick it up.

Offline hankmcmasters

• Super Waygook
i think 'real' apartments in korea come with ovens, but most english teachers live in villas, one rooms, or officetels that don have much in the way of amenities.  the apartments i've had never had one, but all of my co-workers seem to have ovens

anyways

i bought a convection oven from costco, basilly an over sized toaster oven with two elements.  its was a little expensive, but the fun i've had with it has made it worth it. 

and i once had a thanksgiving dinner that had been cooked entirely in a toaster oven, including several chickens, each cooked individually.  even a small oven can really take you places.

but i also wonder what you like to bake, and if you have a rice cooker.  somewhere on here there's a link to a blog that shows you how to bake with a rice cooker, depending on what you like to bake, you might  be interested in that

Offline danitravels

• Veteran
Absolutely yes. Get it.

I chose to stay in my janky little apartment instead of moving when the lease came up simply because my apartment has a built in oven. Cupcakes and home made pita bread make it all worth it.

Offline andyfoggy

• Super Waygook
All this has got me in the cooking mood
It going to be banana bread tonight!!
never made it before but will check it out on youtube.com

Offline Vincent

• Veteran
third dibs on the oven if it's going spare :D

I'm still contemplating whether I'd use one enough to justify the space it would take up rather than the price

Offline menschmaschine

• Adventurer
So, can anyone recommend a good brand or model of a cheapie oven?

Offline taeyang

• Moderator - LVL 4
  • Waygook Lord
ohh i want one of these soooo bad. any recommendations?
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term