March 23, 2019, 12:04:05 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Exploring Our World Camp  (Read 224249 times)

Offline dpsmith

• Veteran
Re: winter camp stuff - exploring the world - lessons, games, worksheets
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »
day 2 review game. girls generation

Offline dpsmith

• Veteran
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2011, 03:39:14 PM »
day 3 food

Offline dpsmith

• Veteran
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2011, 03:43:47 PM »
day 4 going on holiday

Offline dpsmith

• Veteran
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2011, 03:48:58 PM »
day 5 review and fun day- also announce the winner for the closest guess to the correct # of candies in the candy jar. included is the certificate ceremony and survey.

the scavenger hunt was huuuuuugggeee hit. i divided them into 3 teams of 4-6 kids. and gave each team a color. i cut the clue pages into individual clues and color coded them to each teams colors. then folded them and hid them around the school. red team could only look at the red clues, etc.

make each team start with a medium level maze and when they finish bring it to the teacher. check quickly and give their first clue.
winners get special snacks, candy, and pens. 2nd- snacks and less candy 3rd- less candy and so on.

this concludes most of my stuff from camp. i know its a lot. but i over planned on purpose. to be honest almost all of my camp ended up being games related to the topics. but i did get all extra positive marks from the kids in return. So i hope it helps make your life easier and you get great remarks too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 09:33:50 AM by dpsmith »

Offline lillellis

• Adventurer
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2011, 07:00:43 PM »
Nice work, Dustin!  Thanks for sharing your materials.  I also tend to overplan--especially for summer/winter camps--but it's better to be prepared!  Sometimes the students move through the materials slowly and others are very self-motivated.  I have been planning on making a scavenger hunt but did not do it yet.  The one you made is a great template for me to work off of.   ;D  I will also upload mine when finished.  Thank you!

Offline dpsmith

• Veteran
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2011, 10:00:53 PM »
thanks. the scavenger hunt was one of the kids favorite parts of camp. i made the clues harder with less hints for the older children. also if they needed help, i helped them but held them in the classroom for 1 minute. they had a great time. enjoy.

Offline K04

• Veteran
Re: Grade 3/4 Exploring the World Summer Camp
« Reply #86 on: January 17, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
Hey Jehall;

I don't know if my PM got through, it says it sent but then doesn't show up in my sent messages files.  I was just wondering if you could post your forest animals handout.  My kids love handouts, so I'm always looking for more!

Thanks!

Offline LivvyVines

• Waygookin
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2011, 12:28:36 PM »
THanks Dustin your material is great!! I am doing the same camp but it is nice to see someone elses ideas too.
Quick question.. what is the fly squatter game?

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2011, 01:09:59 PM »
I'm currently in the middle of camp and borrowed some stuff from this thread with a few changes. I have camp for 5th and 6th grade for 10 days 90 min per day. The first day we learned the continents, and made passports. Day 2 was Asia (I'm attaching the powerpoint) and today was Australia. For my 5th graders (whose English is VERY low level) I've been trying to play lots and lots of games to keep their interest. For Asia we played the Japanese children's game: Hana, Hana, Hana, Kuchi (Nose...Mouth). I posted a pdf file of children's games around on the world on a different thread which has instructions for this game. Today we did Australia and New Zealand. I had the kids make Aboriginal paintings using cotton swabs, acrylic paint and paper. My 5th graders loved it! We also read/watched the traditional Aboriginal story "Tiddalik the Frog". For 6th grade I gave them a somewhat simplified version of the story then watch a youtube video of the story. For 5th, I found a VERY simplified slideshow of the story and we watched the video. All of this is in my powerpoint. I'm attaching the Asia, and Australia ppts and the story. For the rest of my camp we are going through the rest of the continents, then one day for food around the world where we will learn about food then make smores. And the last day we are going to watch the full movie of Mr. Bean's Holiday (if I can get it work on the computer). I will post any additional materials when they are completed.

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2011, 01:17:59 PM »
The other two files didn't attach for some reason. Let me try again.

Offline dpsmith

• Veteran
« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »
ahhh. great question. the kids absolutely love it.
basically, you can have pictures or vocab words on the board.(depending on how hard you want to make it)
Divide the class into 2 teams. line them up in their teams. number each student on one team and same numbers for the students on other team.
set two fly swatters on the floor in front of the board. (i used plastic hammers)
the teacher calls out one picture/word on the board. then call out one of the numbers of the kids. ex. bus.... number 5.
the kids labeled #5 race to the fly swatter and swat the picture/word you called out.
award a point to the first team to hit the correct picture. if they tie, make them rock paper scissors.
once they get bored or too good at it, call out a couple of words and make them hit more than one picture.
i have a projector that i use to project my pictures on the wall. i usually use the slides from the review section in my ppts since there are many pictures on there. so that way if they master those pictures too fast i can go to the next slide for new pictures/vocab.

make sense? i hope this didnt confuse you. it is a very simple yet fun game.
if you have more questions, let me know. thanks for the compliment by the way.  enjoy.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:05:46 PM by dpsmith »

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #91 on: January 20, 2011, 01:55:10 PM »
Day 4 complete. Here is my version of the North America powerpoint. I'm also attaching a worksheet I did with my 6th graders. This powerpoint has pics from my travels in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua so feel free to delete those. Also, if anyone has a way to make or buy a pinata I strongly suggest doing so because my kids LOVED the video on pinatas! I also played Red Light, Green Light with my 5th graders. Also, attaching templates to make passports that I found on the internet somewhere.

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #92 on: January 20, 2011, 01:56:54 PM »
Here's the North America worksheet.

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2011, 11:14:57 AM »
Day 5: South America. Seems that no one covered South America in their camp. Here is my powerpoint. Borrowed some people's slides on Brazil. Also attaching a worksheet I did with my 6th graders.

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #94 on: January 24, 2011, 11:58:11 AM »
Day 6: Europe. Borrowed powerpoints from here but added some videos and more pictures. You can delete the photos of me from my travels through Europe. However, kids get an absolute kick out of seeing me in any pictures so if you've been to Europe definitely put some pics in. We also played some geography games on sporcle.

Offline jehall

• Veteran
« Reply #95 on: January 24, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »
Thanks so much for adding these! I feel like anyone wanting to do this theme in camp is well-covered now.

Offline kerrym

• Veteran
« Reply #96 on: January 25, 2011, 07:48:18 AM »
Just wanted to add my sincere thanks for this excellent, well organized material. It has been a lifesaver for me this week. I just finished a three week "sleep over" camp and now have 6 hours a day with two groups of 3/4 graders. I owe you big time!

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #97 on: January 25, 2011, 12:32:41 PM »
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this theme. Day 7: Africa. Here is the powerpoint, a worksheet, and a simplified powerpoint on the World Cup stolen from another thread (this powerpoint is hyperlinked to my Africa ppt but I think you need both saved to get it to work). You will have to change some things on these since there are lots of pictures of me. haha! Also working on material for Antarctica as well as a summary ppt/game for all the continents. Did anyone cover Antarctica?

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2011, 12:07:43 PM »
Day 8: Antarctica/Review. Antarctica ppt (basically just of animals stolen from this site). Two review games I played with 5th grade, simplified Top 5 game from this site for 6th grade, and a wordsearch.

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
« Reply #99 on: January 27, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »
Day 9: Food around the world. Basically stole a variety of ppts from this site. Also made s'mores with my kids which they looooved. Here is my short ppt for that. And here are two youtube videos I showed.
World's most disgusting food (they looooved this--it was hilarious to see their reactions)

streetfood around the world: