January 23, 2019, 06:04:52 PM

Author Topic: Exploring Our World Camp  (Read 220662 times)

Offline complex303

• Featured Contributor
  • Super Waygook
Re: Elementary 3rd-6th grade 'Travel the World' camp
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2010, 12:11:54 PM »
To make eraser stamps you need:

- thick eraser (enough to cut a mold and still grab the edges without getting ink on your fingers.)
- retractable blade thingy (don't know what it's called, but they're everywhere here)
- drawing talent or better yet a print out of the design you want to use.  If you want words on your stamp, then printing out a design is necessary.  The words will have to be backwards on the stamp.
-ink pad

With a pencil trace over the design you printed out.  Put the paper over the eraser and rub it in really well.  You want the pencil lead to make a print on the eraser. 

Then, use your retractable blade to cut around the design.  If you want to get really detailed use a pin head.

I think the kids got really lucky that I was inspired to do all this.  Normally I would have just bought some stamps.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:43:13 PM by complex303 »

Offline rhafrika

• Veteran
Re: Exploring Our World Camp
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2010, 05:37:19 PM »
Thanks so much for this material. I'm definitely going to borrow some of it for my camp. Just a quick correction for the Exploring our World 1 powerpoint. It says Africa is the 2nd largest country not continent. Africa is a continent not country. Small mistake but kind of an important distinction!  :P I'll post my final powerpoint when it's finished.

Offline traveller

• Waygookin
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2010, 06:48:47 PM »
Wow thanks this great.  It goes great with a lesson I had planned to do.  I don't have ppt or anything I'm really illiterate with ppt and simple things like downloading so this is so helpful I will use it before the lesson I do. 

The lesson I have planned is that I am going to put the kids in pairs and have them plan a holiday.  They will have a budget of 20,000,000 won or however much and they will be given a two week period. 

They must say where they will go, what they will do in the days and evenings, how they will get there etc.  All the time they will be using "we are "going to" go.... We are going to see... we are going to etc etc.  So it requires preteaching of going to for future plans. 

Once they plan their holiday they make a brochure for it and then one person from each pair rotates around telling about their holiday trying to sell it.  Once they have finished they have just used the language a number of times then the partner who has been sitting down all the while now gets up and rotates to the others who have been talking all the time and tries to sell the holiday they must buy only one holiday and they cannot buy the one that they made up so the holiday that sells the most is the winning pair.

Offline lauraeff5

• Adventurer
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2010, 12:57:26 PM »
I am doing a similar lesson for my Winter camp.  The first day of class the students are going to make passports.  For each worksheet they complete, or each correct answer they give, they will get a stamp in their passport.  At the end of camp, the students who have all their pages stamped will receive candy or some other prize.

Offline lauraeff5

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2010, 01:08:21 PM »
Here are a couple worksheets I will be using for my class about this topic.

Offline sheila

• Moderator - LVL 2
  • Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2010, 01:14:55 PM »
Sorry about the 'country' thing. I definitely made the powerpoint a few minutes before my class started. Please change it if you're using this.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

Offline Joss

• Adventurer
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2010, 01:37:07 PM »
Thanks Lauraeff5 - these are great!
I was just about to start making similar worksheets!

Offline gwiffey

• Adventurer
« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2010, 02:04:21 PM »
There are actually 2 variations of the "Where the hell is Matt" video, and this weekend, I was watching tv here and saw yet another variation, by VISA. I basically did this camp during the summer, and used both variations of "where the hell is matt", so that can add some additional material if you want.

Offline kate.d

• Veteran
Re: Elementary 3rd and 4th 'Travel the World' camp
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2010, 09:14:59 AM »
Thanks again for this, I was told I have camp yesterday and I need the lesson plan tomorrow-couldn't have done it without this!

Offline Joss

• Adventurer
Re: Grade 3/4 Exploring the World Summer Camp
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »
Not only are these materials great but this camp has a great structure and layout too. It has really helped me organize my own ideas and goals for my winter camp.

Thanks a million!

Offline jehall

• Veteran
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2010, 02:54:46 PM »
You're welcome.

I'm currently working on a seasons winter camp with the same 4 week structure. I can post stuff from that soon but it's taking longer than I thought. Exploring the world is such an easier topic!

Offline K04

• Veteran
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2010, 03:29:15 PM »
Wow thanks so much for posting this!  I'm doing the same theme for my grade 3/4's for three weeks and this material has helped me so much!  Thanks again so much!

Offline anna.rpo

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Around the world summer camp
« Reply #52 on: December 23, 2010, 02:58:01 PM »
This is so great! I'm doing a blend of everyone's around the world camps (I'm running about 15 classes which aren't a camp) and this covers my first week!!
http://karoritokorea.blogspot.com/

Use code WAK323 for iherb, up to $10 off your first order. You know you want to.

Offline ada

• Waygookin
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2010, 09:04:47 AM »
I'm doing a travel camp for a week. This is messy...My mind is a bit messy, but here is what I have. I got this idea form this site and so some of what I have here, is not mine but was posted by someone else. Sorry, I havent given credit to them, I can't remember what I got where.

On the first day I will introduce the travel theme, hey have to guess the country, we will watch vlips about places, maybe use google earth. (i will also try take in a sari from india, some salsa to taste etc...things to make it more interesting) kids will make passports, we will also talk about clothing and items to pack...this will turn into a game where kids are divided into 2 teams and have to race to pack their bags (either by reading a clue, then fetching it, or just running to grab an item across the room as the teacher calls it)

2nd day
we will travel to canada. we will learn about the winter olympics and winter sports. i might have them play a dress up warm speed game. we will make snowman bookmarks, look at famous people from canada....maybe watch a section of the mask. (jim carey)

3rd

travel to south africa. first they have to guess where we are going (ppt) then we will watch a video about the kruger national park. then we will learn about african animals (i might made hidden picture ppts, mime/hangman) then make binoculars to view wildlife. glue pictures into the binoculars and make a game of it....eg they have to race to binoculars, look at animal , race to board and write name on board.
we will also look at soccer world cup videos, and play an englsih soccer game.

4th

australia.

ppts, go to the great barrier reef, then go fishing...the fishing game....they have to make fishing rods...tape string with a magnet at the end, to their pencils. teacher creates a 'pond' by making circle with chairs, their are cardboard fish on the ground, they have magnets glued to them...kids try to 'fish' either there are english words written on the fish with a 'point' on it, so they fish for points, or the team with the rmost fish win. i dont know yet. we might make 'aboriginal art' -google it- using cotton swabs and paint they have to create a picture (think bestto use a template)  or we might play 'pin the tail on the kangeroo' easy...draw kangeroo on board...make tails from paper with magnets or tape. blindfold and voila!

my co-teacher is preparing day 5.

here are all the things i have so far:

Offline heffneh

• Adventurer
Around the World 3/4 Grade Camp for 1 week
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2010, 02:12:48 PM »
This is an Around the World Camp for all of us lucky folks who get to teach for the week long style of camp. Every day covers a different country: South Korea, America, Italy, and Brazil. Italy is a cooking day where the kids make puppy chow!

FULL CREDIT for the original idea goes to this person: http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,1686.0.html. This person had started the idea for a shorter camp, but since mine needed to be so long, I expanded and changed a lot of things drastically.

No matter how long your camp is, no doubt you'll find some material in here!

Offline heffneh

• Adventurer
Re: Around the World 3/4 Grade Camp for 1 week
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2010, 02:22:55 PM »
The presentations for the other four days. South Korea is the first one.

Offline heffneh

• Adventurer
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2010, 02:28:41 PM »
The games! Four culture jeopardy games.

Offline heffneh

• Adventurer
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2010, 02:45:03 PM »
Schedule and Golden Bell game questions. The Golden Bell Game is played like an elimination game, where the teacher asks questions and the students answer on white boards/laminated paper if like my school, you don't have white boards. According to my co-teacher, the students really love this game. To be played on the last day as one of the Olympics games.

Offline anna.rpo

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #58 on: December 26, 2010, 07:04:12 PM »
ada you're a gem. I'm doing an hour long class every day for 3 or 4 weeks so your lessons are PERFECT! Thank you so so so much!
http://karoritokorea.blogspot.com/

Use code WAK323 for iherb, up to $10 off your first order. You know you want to.

Offline amn34

• Veteran
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2010, 11:43:19 AM »
I'm doing a travel camp for a week. This is messy...My mind is a bit messy, but here is what I have. I got this idea form this site and so some of what I have here, is not mine but was posted by someone else. Sorry, I havent given credit to them, I can't remember what I got where.

On the first day I will introduce the travel theme, hey have to guess the country, we will watch vlips about places, maybe use google earth. (i will also try take in a sari from india, some salsa to taste etc...things to make it more interesting) kids will make passports, we will also talk about clothing and items to pack...this will turn into a game where kids are divided into 2 teams and have to race to pack their bags (either by reading a clue, then fetching it, or just running to grab an item across the room as the teacher calls it)

2nd day
we will travel to canada. we will learn about the winter olympics and winter sports. i might have them play a dress up warm speed game. we will make snowman bookmarks, look at famous people from canada....maybe watch a section of the mask. (jim carey)

3rd

travel to south africa. first they have to guess where we are going (ppt) then we will watch a video about the kruger national park. then we will learn about african animals (i might made hidden picture ppts, mime/hangman) then make binoculars to view wildlife. glue pictures into the binoculars and make a game of it....eg they have to race to binoculars, look at animal , race to board and write name on board.
we will also look at soccer world cup videos, and play an englsih soccer game.

4th

australia.

ppts, go to the great barrier reef, then go fishing...the fishing game....they have to make fishing rods...tape string with a magnet at the end, to their pencils. teacher creates a 'pond' by making circle with chairs, their are cardboard fish on the ground, they have magnets glued to them...kids try to 'fish' either there are english words written on the fish with a 'point' on it, so they fish for points, or the team with the rmost fish win. i dont know yet. we might make 'aboriginal art' -google it- using cotton swabs and paint they have to create a picture (think bestto use a template)  or we might play 'pin the tail on the kangeroo' easy...draw kangeroo on board...make tails from paper with magnets or tape. blindfold and voila!

my co-teacher is preparing day 5.

here are all the things i have so far:

I really like your guess the country ppt, but on slide 40, Mozart is from Austria, not Germany ;)