March 22, 2019, 02:14:51 AM

Author Topic: Exploring Our World Camp  (Read 224222 times)

Offline RDW27

• Veteran
Re: Exploring Our World Camp
« Reply #260 on: February 03, 2015, 11:19:57 AM »
Italy Food PPT

Offline RDW27

• Veteran
« Reply #261 on: February 03, 2015, 11:28:38 AM »
Worksheets

Offline stuart_nixon

• Adventurer
« Reply #262 on: February 09, 2015, 10:48:30 AM »
Have a look at this Around the World camp which I put together:

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,84036.0.html

Offline stephenmcnally

• Waygookin
Re: Exploring Our World Camp - Kakaotalk powerpoint / activity
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2015, 01:52:48 PM »
Did exploring our world as a theme for the winter camp recently and went well.

Followed this order:
Day 1 - making a passport, guessing country ppt, packing bags, airport staff/vocab for buying tickets, scavenger hunt (running around the room to find items of clothing to pack their bags)
Day 2 - making a hotel reservation, giving directions, designing your own hotel, reviewing a hotel - kids are given monopoly money and award their money to the best designed hotel.
Day 3 - places vocabulary (museum, park etc) ordering food in a restaurant/cafe

Day 4 - Kakaotalk activity (attached) the idea of which was to send a message to family 'back home' and tell them how their holiday is going.  I gave them templates of phones and emojis/emoticons and they loved it.  Some cut up the phones to make really long conversations...
then a minecraft boardgame (found here on waygook) adapted to suit the theme of ordering food.

Day 5 - played the '2 truths 1 lie' game, and a spongebob cartoon, 10 scenes of which they had on paper and needed to put in the correct order.

I'll attach the kakaotalk here.  The Korean was done by my Korean co-teacher, so, not something from an online translator.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 10:35:54 AM by stephenmcnally »

Offline stephenmcnally

• Waygookin
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2015, 02:09:26 PM »
Here's the SpongeBob activity - again, the Korean is reliable. I tried to upload the video but it's just slightly too big for waygook's uploading size restriction.  The episode is called Bubble Stand, so you'd have to find it online.

anyway, here are the worksheets.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 02:13:55 PM by stephenmcnally »

Offline robbb3490

• Adventurer
« Reply #265 on: January 15, 2016, 12:45:00 PM »
Here's a 2 part lesson I did on famous places with my Elementary School kids.

Part 1 was introducing the places and then having the students colour in pictures of one of the famous places

Part 2 was the cup pong game. The students had to get the balls into the cups and stick the piece of paper inside on the board. After the games had finished, they had to write the name of each places under the pictures stuck on the board. I would then ask the students to repeat the names of the places when I pointed at the pictures and then we did a review at the end.

The puzzle activity was a filler as one class finished colouring in the pictures before the 40 minutes had expired. Stuck them into a few teams and then let them choose the squares which they wanted to be revealed.

Offline weigookin74

• The Legend
« Reply #266 on: January 16, 2016, 11:04:27 PM »
I took this from another place.  But, this is a more thorough explanation of Canada. 

Offline builderstea

• Veteran
« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2016, 09:50:52 AM »
COUNTRIES INCLUDED: USA, South Africa, The UK, Brazil

I teach at a big school so our camp had three other English teachers and four classes of 3rd and 4th graders. We had each class for 40 minutes per day (like normal timetable). It was overall Superhero themed ("A Hero In All Of Us") and then each of us had a subject and mine was Social Studies cos I wanted to do the World stuff. So I had superheroes who would take us to their countries (tenuous definition of superheroes in some cases haha: Captain America, Nelson Mandela, James Bond, Mr Brasilia. May have made Mr Brasilia up..)

I put the students into "travel teams" and they scored points for their teams throughout the week (be careful to track the points carefully); mainly through a quiz at the beginning of each lesson that they really enjoyed. I would probably have limited point-scoring to just the game on Monday and quiz if I were to redo it.

MONDAY: INTRO AND CONTINENTS: Camp introduction to the superheroes. Then learnt about continents and I had cut out paper silhouettes of each one that volunteers stuck on the world map I had on the board. Then fill in front (draw face, write name) and 2 (info about me) of our passports - I had made and folded passports for all of them (see picture). Then put them into "travel teams" they kept for the rest of the week and they got their first chance to win points for their team by taking it in turns to throw paper airplanes they made at the map with different scores for hitting different continents and saying the continents' name.

TUESDAY: USA: CAPTAIN AMERICA. Short intro and quiz (btw I think the how big is Korea-America is wrong. I think it's 90 not 19, please check and edit if you're using this). Each travel team gets a mini whiteboard and has to write the answer (A/B/C/D) as quickly as possible. One point correct answer, one point fastest answer.
Then, scout camp: campfire song. They really liked a Sailor Went To Sea with the clapping that goes with it. Accessible here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6--HPjnwPU This version is good as it gets faster. (I edited the video to add lyrics that I'll try to attach).
Then Statue of Liberty game. They loved this. From an earlier poster (thanks!!). One student goes to the front, poses like the Statue of Liberty and can't smile while a team comes up to try to make them laugh. If they don't laugh the team of the Statue student wins a point, if they do laugh then the team wins a point.
Wanted to make smores but not enough budget so then they had sour candy they had to hold in their mouth and suck for ten seconds before they could swallow them.

Offline builderstea

• Veteran
« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »
WEDNESDAY: SOUTH AFRICA: NELSON MANDELA. Perhaps one of the hardest things I've tried to teach was apartheid to 3rd and 4th graders! I got the 4th graders to stand up and put their hands on their head and told the 3rd graders to relax. Then showed the pictures and said things like "3rd graders this is your school, 4th graders you can't go here". Then showed that this was the situation for black and white people: not together. Nelson Mandela changed this. Showed them pictures of SA today and reiterated that now they can be together because of him. (simplified somewhat but good enough).
Anyway then the quiz run as above.
Then we went on Safari. Showed the beginning of the video here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5O3Dx_uDvRU Then learnt about animals and spots and stripes. Then I made binoculars to play a game: 1 per team. Numbered each person within a team, said a number, student stood up, everyone said "What colour is it?" I said "yellow with black spots" or something and the students had to race to find the animal through their binoculars (I kept moving the pictures of the animals around the room), put their hand up, then say "I see a leopard" etc. This game was ok... It needed some improvement as it was very difficult to tell who had found it first.

THURSDAY: UK: JAMES BOND.
Quiz as per.
Then video from the 2012 Olympics I had edited to be only 3 minutes long (too long to attach here sorry). This gave students a view of London and lead to the Queen. Longer video accessible here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AS-dCdYZbo
We spent the rest of the lesson at the "Queen's birthday party" and they each had a party hat to wear.
First half the class played duck, duck, goose (I'd renamed James, James, Bond). And half played what's the time Mr Wolf? (Mr Bond). Both halves of the class enjoyed both games.
Then, played pin the face on Big Ben which I'd drawn on the board. (They really liked this game the most!!)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 10:39:27 AM by builderstea »

Offline builderstea

• Veteran
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2016, 10:27:14 AM »
FRIDAY: BRAZIL: Mr BRASILIA
Quiz again as per.
Then showed them a video of the Brazil carnival that I'd edited to lessen the amount of skin on show (again will try to attach). Then plan was to make maracas (two paper cups with rice in) and facepaint (students chose from the two designs on the ppt) before dancing around to carnival music. They really liked facepaint (we had face crayons) however it takes at least a minute per student so if you are lucky enough to have a co to help who can have another set of facepaints or can do a simpler design and only give them one choice to speed things up I'd do that if I repeat this. The maracas also took a long time so we didn't end up with any time to dance sadly. We just had the music on in the background. I prefer games to art so if I were to repeat this I'd probably think of a game to do instead. Maybe a musical statues/chairs where they can win facepaint or something. I edited my own selection of Brazil carnival music but some of the ones I used are here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3VKOezxwJ4 (Samba de Janiero), here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDdIk7_FkVE&list=PL57FA98915BC2D7E0 (percussion) and here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZWPYGbcVR8

Offline dirkivis

• Waygookin
« Reply #270 on: May 12, 2016, 12:38:55 PM »
Here is some around the world camp stuff I used, some of it might already be on here, and just double check the ppt's.
Day 1

Offline dirkivis

• Waygookin
« Reply #271 on: May 12, 2016, 12:42:26 PM »
Day 2

Offline dirkivis

• Waygookin
« Reply #272 on: May 12, 2016, 12:53:05 PM »
Day 3

Offline dirkivis

• Waygookin
« Reply #273 on: May 12, 2016, 01:01:40 PM »
Day 4 Sorry for the double post on day 3.

Offline dirkivis

• Waygookin
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2016, 01:05:41 PM »
Day 5

Offline splend

• Waygookin
« Reply #275 on: December 22, 2016, 12:54:36 PM »
I'm doing "Around the World" 5-day camp. Day 1 we'll be creating passports for the students to fill out during the week as we learn about each country. I got the template for this activity from another post, but created an instructional PPT with photos of the passport all put together. I was able to purchase some nice card stock colorful paper for the book covers and put them together myself to save time during the camp. The rest was up to the students. Hope this is helpful!

Offline SimonV

• Adventurer
« Reply #276 on: January 06, 2017, 08:50:02 AM »
MIDDLE SCHOOL 3 DAY TRAVEL CAMP

I did this camp at my middle school over 3 days, around 3 hours per day. A lot of the material and ideas were borrowed / adapted from the other posters on here. Thanks a lot to all.  For some of the parts, you’ll need a decent budget for the camp from your school. I was lucky to have that from mine, as well as a fantastic CT to order all the stuff.
The main PPT covers all 3 days.

Day 1 –
As a warmup, we watched the Where the Hell is Matt video from 2008, and used it as a kind of memory game, with questions in the PPT

Introduce country / travel-related vocab, and hand out the PASSPORT. I had them fill in their info on the inside page, and draw their portrait. If you print the passport PPT double-sided, you can fold it into an A5-sized booklet (again, I put together the passport with elements taken from the other templates on here)

Choose a country – the students then get into 4 teams, elect a captain, and the captain comes and chooses randomly from 4 countries (I did Japan, Mexico, France and Italy). They then spent an hour or so doing research on that countries population, languages, landmarks, expressions etc ( I let 1-2 of them use their phones for this). The info on their country is written down individually on pages 3-4 of the passports.

Spaghetti Tower Challenge – we then did a brief PPT on some famous towers, and introduced the spaghetti challenge. I gave each group some spaghetti and a pack of marshmallows, and they made towers (points for the tallest and the most similar to a landmark from their chosen country). On the back page of the Passport, there is a points chart to keep track of their scores throughout the camp.

Finally, as they left myself and my CT set up a desk at each entrance, and they had to ‘get through customs’ and hand in their passports before they left.

Day 2 –
Presentation – I handed each team a B4-sized presentation worksheet, where they filled in the information they had researched yesterday. 2 members from each team came to the front and read their presentations, while the other groups wrote down the information on pages 5-6 of their passports. The hightlight is the expression guessing part – the presenters read the expressions from their country’s language, and the others try and guess what they mean, before the answer is revealed. (After the day finished, I graded each students passports individually, to check if they were listening to the other teams)

Country Scavenger hunt – borrowed / adapted from the brilliant Mcprotea http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=1400.240.  Put up posters for 12 different countries around the school, and each team went looking for them. For the first part, they just needed to memorise the greeting in that country’s language and come and greet me in 3 different languages. Then I gave them a sheet of paper for them to write down one fact about 8 more countries on the posters. Based on my mistake – make sure you tell them not to tear the posters off and bring them back to class!

Cooking – the expensive part. We had ordered in advance basic ingredients for food from each chosen country (sushi stuff for Japan, bread pizzas for Italy, cheese / Nutella baguette for France, tortillas for Mexico). Based on their ingredients, each group had to put together a recipe and make the food.

I didn’t use this, but a possible alternative for the food making part is to have them research the traditional clothes of their country, and using cut outs from random magazines make a design on a B4 sheet of paper

Day 3 –
World Quiz – taken from http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=2365.0 and adapted to stuff they learned on days 1 and 2.

Prize giving – they counted up their scores on the back page of the passports, and worked out the averages for their teams. Handed out prizes accordingly.

We ended off on a chilled not by watching the movie ‘Up’

Offline Scottishunicorn

• Explorer
« Reply #277 on: January 06, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
I did a UK themed camp for one week with 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th Graders. (80 mins each day)

Monday- UK intro, made UK bunting and started passport

Tuesday- Scotland Intro, Gay Gordans dance and paper tartan weaving

Wednesday- England Intro, made "Keep Calm and Carry on" posters and made a sandwich

Thursday- Northern Ireland Intro, "Walking Rainbow" experiment and Leprechaun hat

Friday- Wales Intro, Design your Own Dragon, How to Train your Dragon Movie

I used some Power Points previously posted in Waygook but changed them for my individual camp.

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2017, 02:28:08 AM »
I've taken mcprotea's camp that she posted back in 2013 (in this thread on pg.13) and updated/changed some things in it. A big thanks to her for her hard work!

I used this for my summer 2016 middle school camp. It was a 10 day camp (3 hours each day) and it went over very well with all of the students. We covered Egypt, America, India, Mexico and Canada. I will attach the entire camp with lesson plan in a zipped folder. Everything is organized in each folder and should be pretty much ready to use in your own camp. Hope someone is able to make use of the materials.

I will upload three zip folders, as using one is too large to upload on here. Simply unzip the folders and then merge their contents into one.

Attached is:
1.Master Plan
2. Summer Camp 2016 - Part 1

****EDIT I will be removing all of my materials as waygook.org wants to now charge you for something they did not create. If you would like a COPY FOR FREE, please inbox me and I would be more than happy to send you the materials. I would recommend all other users with  uploaded materials to do the same.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:25:47 PM by Schellib39 »

Offline Schellib39

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2017, 02:52:53 AM »
Attached is:
Summer Camp 2016 - Part 2

(Part one is the last post on the bottom of pg.14 of this thread)

****EDIT I will be removing all of my materials as waygook.org wants to now charge you for something they did not create. If you would like a COPY FOR FREE, please inbox me and I would be more than happy to send you the materials. I would recommend all other users with  uploaded materials to do the same.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:24:31 PM by Schellib39 »