January 23, 2019, 05:38:57 PM

Author Topic: Exploring Our World Camp  (Read 220657 times)

Offline Chemicalsun

• Waygookin
Re: Exploring Our World Camp
« Reply #180 on: August 07, 2011, 03:47:57 PM »
Hi thanks for the materials and ideas. I love teaching about the world, especially as it seems my students can't pinpoint their own country. One thing I do is a relay game using pictures of things from different countries (eg monuments, food, clothing). Each relay team have a different country and have to collect pictures related to their country.

Offline odin002

• Explorer
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2011, 12:12:08 PM »
We used this. We got my students make a presentation. They chosed a country and researched and studied about the country and then made a poster. they studied population, capital, famous food, counry flag, landmark, local name,, e.g. Nezealand is Aotearoa. then they presented to the class.

Offline ssukiii

• Explorer
« Reply #182 on: September 03, 2011, 09:41:45 AM »
I had a one day class relating to the world during this summer camp and the students liked it.

There are a lot of video clips here!

Thank you.

Offline pdxinsk

• Adventurer
« Reply #183 on: September 08, 2011, 02:17:21 PM »
Thanks so much to everyone who posted materials for this camp theme! I did this camp with my 6th graders this summer and it was a big hit. I know the next camp is a ways off, but I wanted to post these on here if anyone wants to use them in the future. Most of the PowerPoints are my edited or combined versions of ones already posted, so thanks again for all those who made the original materials.

My camp was really short (only 4 days). I attached a general outline of what we did on each day that has more details on some of the activities.

Offline pdxinsk

• Adventurer
« Reply #184 on: September 08, 2011, 02:23:41 PM »
Here's the rest of the files for the materials I used.

Offline freyguy10

• Waygookin
Re: Nations of the world summer camp lesson: Prezi-worksheets-game
« Reply #185 on: September 15, 2011, 09:17:31 PM »
Would you be able to post a ppt version instead of the pptx version?  I don't have the new version.. :(

Offline Kimchi-Kennamer

• Adventurer
« Reply #186 on: September 20, 2011, 01:30:01 PM »
ppt versions of all my attachments:
In order for the students to stay interested until the end, I chose to use an "O" shape for the winning bingo pattern. There is an example attached.
Also, I found that the flag-to cultural icon matching worksheet was most productive when used simultaneously with the bingo sheet as the prezi is going.
I never got around to using the memory game. I hope somebody will use it.

Offline lili

• Waygookin
3/4 Weeks- After school- Countries
« Reply #187 on: October 14, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
Lesson 1- Introduction lesson- Learn Countries and flags
Key expression- Where do you want to go? I want to go to...

Lesson 2- Review Countries add new ones to vocabulary list
Key Words- Continent, country, capital city, landmark, languages, population.

Lesson 3- Review vocabulary- Test
Lets create your own country- Class presentation

Attached my work book i made and used over the 3 weeks ^^
My Class was very small and mid level so we got through a lot of work fast so take you time, creating a country and reviewing them can take a longer time if the class is bigger!

Offline cspitzner

• Explorer
Re: 3/4 Weeks- After school- Countries
« Reply #188 on: October 28, 2011, 08:32:42 AM »
Thanks for the post!

Offline coolguyjep

• Explorer
« Reply #189 on: October 28, 2011, 09:15:33 AM »
This is a wonderful opportunity for my students in broadening their prospective of different geographical places in the world.  I appreciate this posting. Thank you 

Offline joefred

• Explorer
« Reply #190 on: November 04, 2011, 09:50:12 AM »
Here's a powerpoint I made about Argentina. Not the best but some of the students thought it was interesting

Offline maps1986

• Explorer
« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2011, 05:12:26 PM »
Wow, this is a very useful posting because it is English and it broadans their geographical understanding and other places in the world.

Offline joefred111

• Explorer
« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
Here's a PPT I made about my home state, PA. Might need some editing though.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 10:02:53 PM by joefred111 »

Offline ashleeanton

• Explorer
Winter Camp 2012 - Around the World in 10 Days
« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2011, 10:27:01 AM »
Here's my plan for this winter's upcoming camp.  I will have 15 advanced first year middle school students and plan to have a great time with them.  There will be more detail to come later, but so far this is the outline and proposal that I have.  Enjoy and please feel free to suggest anything!

Offline ashleeanton

• Explorer
Re: Winter Camp 2012 - Around the World in 10 Days
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2011, 10:30:46 AM »
I forgot to attach this document.  Sorry!

Offline TheWB18

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2011, 03:32:21 PM »
Planning on doing something similar for winter camp.

Any suggestions for an activity students could do related to countries of the world? I'm looking for something they can make or do that will give them a "take home" something at the end.

Ah, and here's the PPT, basic Europe (only 16 countries) with pics and a little info.

Offline zeerck

• Waygookin
« Reply #196 on: November 22, 2011, 07:44:01 AM »
Great work! Appreciate it.

Offline CK88

• Explorer
« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2011, 12:45:14 PM »
This looks like an awesome plan. I would recommend for the Zimbabwe session a video of Mbira music. You will probably find more on this than you will traditional dance videos as the Mbira(instrument) has great significance historically in Zimbabwean culture. Artists to look into include Stella Chiweshe and Thomas Mapfumo, or just a general mbira video. That's all I felt I could add.

Offline CK88

• Explorer
« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2011, 01:23:57 PM »
another suggestion in regards to Saudi Arabia and Egypt, when it comes to Arabic Culture the biggest significance of Saudi Arabia is the start of Islam, Mecca and the Arabic Language. Nowadays, its more about the issues of women. Historically speaking  in terms of culture; literature, music art, most of the heritage that we know of now in regards to Middle Eastern/Arabic culture has roots in countries like Iraq/Egypt and surrounding countries from around the 8th century because that's were the rulers were settled. Arabian Nights could be placed in the Saudi Arabia category but isn't quite factual, most of the tales of the Arabian Nights, are from around the 9th century during the golden age of the Abbasid caliphate.

For music, in the Saudi Arabian section I would say play a video that has the oud; that is more traditional music however after studying Arabic culture for 3 years, I cannot suggest an artist from Saudi Arabia.

Egypt: A wealth of stuff, Music so many artists you'll find pop musicians all over the show. A favourite  singer for most Egyptians in Umm Khulthum (the students will find her boring) but non the less she has great significance to Egypt. Egyptian movies are also really popular all over Arab countries, they are kind of like the Hollywood movies of the Middle East.

In recent news Egypt is interesting because of the start of the Arab revolutions.

When you do this session an interesting point for the kids, might be for them to find out that although Egypt and Saudi Arabia both use/speak Arabic as the official language; each country has its own dialect. I suppose you could link this in with Konglish.

Sorry I wrote a ton, you are free to disregard any of this. I hope you find it a little helpful :D

Offline kballs

• Waygookin
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2011, 11:48:34 AM »
My school puts third grade one week (most of the students that sign up are 3rd graders), 4th and 5th the next week, and an advanced class a third week.  I don't teach grades 1-2 so I couldn't help there. Hopefully your coteacher will fill you in on the details :/