September 21, 2018, 09:18:55 PM

The 2018 Korea TESOL International Conference: Focus on Fluency
Meet new people. Learn new things. Become a better teacher! Join us October 13 & 14 for the 26th annual Korea TESOL International Conference at Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul.
koreatesol.org/ic2018

Author Topic: Whats the best swimming location in Korea?  (Read 8902 times)

Offline usernamechosen

• Adventurer
Whats the best swimming location in Korea?
« on: May 19, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
Apart from Jeju or Busan ;)

I'd love to check out some clean, fresh water lakes to have a good swim. Cliff jumping/diving is an absolute plus
Coming from Australia, I dearly miss the water, and can't handle the chlorine to water ratio in Korean pools :(

Offline lbdb3l

• Adventurer
Re: Whats the best swimming location in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:14:19 AM »
I also would like to know where is a good place to go cliff jumping - preferably near Busan.

Offline ccccchris

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 11:29:41 AM »
in general  i would say anywhere on the east coast of korea will be better than the west coast, which is usually full of mud and rocks.  Mangsang beach on the east coast is pretty nice  8)

Offline elzoog

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »
Apart from Jeju or Busan ;)

I'd love to check out some clean, fresh water lakes to have a good swim. Cliff jumping/diving is an absolute plus
Coming from Australia, I dearly miss the water, and can't handle the chlorine to water ratio in Korean pools :(

There are many smaller lakes in Korea.   However, swimming in the lake is not something Koreans normally do.   

Having said that, Hwacheon has a really big lake (one of the biggest in Korea) and a little bit of river rafting.   It also has some really cool mountain scenery.

http://www.ihc.go.kr/foreign/eng/index.html

I also hear that the beginning of the Han River (past Nami Island) is good to swim in.

Offline roscopecotrain

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
There are a few good places to swim near Miryang (40 mins nth of Busan on the main train line).
There is Hobakso, near Euremgol. A really cool place with rock slides, river and a large pool/waterfall.
Also Samnangjin Dam (Antae), 1 stop before Miryang, has some really good camping and has an awesome rock jumping spot into a river.
If you need more precise directions, I can help you out :)

Offline sweet_potato

• Super Waygook
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 12:33:22 PM »
Sangju beach on Namhae island.
Go to Namhae City (from Busan's Sasang station) then transfer onto a local bus that goes to Sangju.

Offline Koenji

• Super Waygook
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
check out the Han River... ;)

Offline lbdb3l

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
There are a few good places to swim near Miryang (40 mins nth of Busan on the main train line).
There is Hobakso, near Euremgol. A really cool place with rock slides, river and a large pool/waterfall.
Also Samnangjin Dam (Antae), 1 stop before Miryang, has some really good camping and has an awesome rock jumping spot into a river.
If you need more precise directions, I can help you out :)

I'm interested in the Hobakso place! And the camping spot in Samnangjin. Thanks so much!!!

Offline roscopecotrain

• Adventurer
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 03:23:18 PM »
Hobakso is easy to get to by bus, here is the directions http://www.visitkorea.or.kr/enu/SI/SI_EN_3_1_1_1.jsp?cid=826994
Samanangjin Antae is a little different as I'm unsure if there is a bus out there, but it is pretty close by Taxi or car. From Samnangjin station, follow the brown signs to Antae-ri and Yeoyeojongsa temple (SE from Samnangjin), the road will skirt up and around the dam then take a left to go to the other side (North) of the dam, then the road will intersect right and head up to the temple. Before you head up, just at the intersection is a gravel parking lot  on your right, a little raised from the road. By the parking lot is a big area for camping, BBQ etc and if you head to the far right of the field you will find a track that heads down into a little valley stream area, down here by the footbridge is a rock area with a tree swing and pool to jump into with plenty of shade.
Hope this helps, and if you have any difficulty PM me

Reader

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 07:16:41 PM »
The Han River is not clean enough to swim in though some of the ROK soldiers are forced to swim across for training.  I wouldn't advise anyone else to swim in the Han River though there is a large swimming pool complex but it always looks crowded in the summer.  Somone mentioned the river that runs between Cheongdo eup and Miryang eup.  I've driven and cycled along that river.  I don't know how deep that river is, but it does look like a nice place to cool off and people put up their tents there, too.

Offline Freeto

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:48:06 PM »
Somewhere on the Sea of Japan.  ;)
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

Offline RichardT

• Newgookin
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 04:54:54 AM »
Is the water in the lakes usually cold or is it not too bad in the summer? I've never been swimming in Korea except for in a pool. I do like going to clean and clear lakes and jumping off cliffs.
Has anyone used atlas america insurance for travel insurance?

Offline trueblue

• Explorer
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 08:13:48 AM »
Deokjeok Island off the coast of Incheon can be a decent place to beach and go for a summer dip.  Not the warmest water but the beach is in good shape by Korean standards.  It just just an hour by ferry from Incheon and can be done in a day trip.

Offline Kimchi-Kennamer

• Adventurer
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 02:52:50 PM »
Yeosu