March 25, 2019, 08:56:21 PM

Author Topic: Stop being a cheapskate- Pay for unlimited data  (Read 1558 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Stop being a cheapskate- Pay for unlimited data
« on: March 13, 2019, 08:38:40 AM »
Every time I try to download something I get my phone asking me 50 messages if its okay and various freakouts because *gasp!* I'm not connected to wi-fi. I might actually use my own data! As someone who did the right thing and paid for unlimited data, I find this exasperating. I have to deal with 50 constant requests and some programs that refuse to update because "It's too large and will wait for wi-fi" all because there's so many bums out there that refuse to sign-up for unlimited data.

Even worse are the constant requests for wi-fi, for people to hotspot, people who won't check something or watch something because they're skinflints with data.

I say there should be more privileges for people with unlimited data and more barriers to those who are wi-fi bums. Or maybe some sort of public branding for wi-fi leeches.

Anyways, stop being a cheapskate. Show some respect towards yourself. Pay for the damn unlimited data.

Online zola

• The Legend
Re: Stop being a cheapskate- Pay for unlimited data
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2019, 08:43:56 AM »
You expect every user, kids, the elderly, students, the working poor, to have unlimited data? Because you don't like warnings? A classic Martin hot take.

How much is unlimited data nowadays?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2019, 09:11:38 AM »
You expect every user, kids, the elderly, students, the working poor, to have unlimited data? Because you don't like warnings? A classic Martin hot take.

I don't know. I pay for my phone in installments and unlimited data. Combined it's under 100k.

That's the parents' stupid fault for buying their kid a smartphone. You give your kid a new iPhone, get the data. Otherwise give them a normal phone. The elderly aren't using much data anyways. Students can pay for the unlimited data with their beer money. The working poor can get a normal phone. Or have something that shuts down their phone's data once they reach their limit.

Pay for the damn data cheapskates!

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2019, 09:45:06 AM »

I don't know. I pay for my phone in installments and unlimited data. Combined it's under 100k.

That's the parents' stupid fault for buying their kid a smartphone. You give your kid a new iPhone, get the data. Otherwise give them a normal phone. The elderly aren't using much data anyways. Students can pay for the unlimited data with their beer money. The working poor can get a normal phone. Or have something that shuts down their phone's data once they reach their limit.

Pay for the damn data cheapskates!

Without trying to be a d/bag, 100K is quite a lot to pay per month even if it includes the price of a new phone if you are not a high income earner, student etc. I  am not talking about princes/princesses whose parents give them a new phone.

Here in Taiwan, unlimited data is about 18,000 won a month (up to 100 Mb/sec speed) and if you throw in a new phone it is about 50,000 won which is quite manageable for most people.

So I really think you are a little insensitive to those who cannot afford that much.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 09:49:10 AM »
Tino throwin' hundreds at a cell phone bill. Who says ESL in Korea is dead? This guy is a baller.

Bandz a make her dance Bandz a make her dance Bandz a make her dance walk in music as he enters the classroom.

Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2019, 11:12:19 AM »
That is pretty expensive. I got a new phone last July which im still paying off. I pay 60,000ish a month. I dont have unlimited data. I feel attacked by Martin.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 11:25:42 AM »
I mean, I use my phone a lot, and I only have 10gb of data per month, and that's almost always enough. And my phone bill is only 32,000 per month. So, uh. Given the option of paying almost double that for... reasons? I think I'd pass.

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »
Haha, the minute I saw the cheapskate accusation in the thread title I knew who had posted.  The bitter, chip on the shoulder Martino.  Baseless accusation aimed at people on this board.  Over 6000 posts and he remains completely predictable and true to form.  Trying to knock down others to pat yourself on the back never succeeds. 

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2019, 11:30:54 AM »
I establish dominance in the Massage ParlourTM by showing the man 4K videos of massages so he knows how to please me.

Infinite Data 4 life.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 11:52:47 AM »
I'm guessing 100k is for the price of the phone as well. I've been using the same phone for 4yrs and only pay for the uncapped mobile data every month, 55k.

There's a time in life when it's somewhat charming to mooch and be cheap and those are your teenage and student years.

A grown ass adult should never have to:

- Borrow DIY tools
- Borrow cookware
- Rely on free wi-fi
- Borrow clothes
- Rely on the ancient ActiveX riddled, malware plagued, piece of sh*t, dustboxes found in schools to do your work... Invest in
  a reliable and light laptop to take to and from work. Double it up with your phone's hotspot for a perpetual internet 
  connection.

Aren't willing to do that? Go join the Talk programme.

Online TheEnergizer

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 11:55:33 AM »
Ok buddy.

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 11:57:45 AM »
Haha, the minute I saw the cheapskate accusation in the thread title I knew who had posted.  The bitter, chip on the shoulder Martino.  Baseless accusation aimed at people on this board.  Over 6000 posts and he remains completely predictable and true to form.  Trying to knock down others to pat yourself on the back never succeeds.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2019, 12:00:46 PM »
- Rely on free wi-fi

Holy shit, I think we all know an adult like this.

I get being frugal, I do, but JESUS.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online zola

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2019, 12:12:28 PM »
Who knew that adulthood had so many rules.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2019, 12:15:00 PM »
what a weird complaint. how about "stop being a loser- get off your phone?" i don't need unlimited data. i can't imagine complaining that other people don't pay for unlimited day.

Online AMDC

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 12:20:25 PM »
Admittedly having a wifi egg can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but if you can manage an extra device (ultimately I've adjusted to having one so it's no longer a hindrance), I think it's nice to put that $40/month savings towards something else. Unlimited data would be pretty wasted on me, and knowing when and where to save money is just as important as how much you earn.

I certainly wouldn't be happy living off free wifi, so this is my happy middle ground.

Edit for prices: I use KT, I pay roughly 21K won per month for 11gb with an egg (no outbound calling/texting - just holding the phone number to sign up for things, receive calls / texts). My phone is on airplane mode 100% of the time unless I need to check a verification message or something.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 01:29:53 PM by AMDC »

Offline plan b

• Veteran
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
I mean, I use my phone a lot, and I only have 10gb of data per month, and that's almost always enough. And my phone bill is only 32,000 per month. So, uh. Given the option of paying almost double that for... reasons? I think I'd pass.

32,000 for 10gb?...man I pay 51,000 for 5gb. Who are you signed up with?

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2019, 12:24:48 PM »
Just wondering who DM is referring to in this post? Waygook's? In the big picture of who uses wifi and doesn't I would think that we use a minute amount of data compared to the rest of Korea.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2019, 12:47:26 PM »

32,000 for 10gb?...man I pay 51,000 for 5gb. Who are you signed up with?

KT M Mobile

They're very cheap, and after being on KT for about six years, I can honestly say that KT M is just as fast for about half the price. Here's the page if you want to check it out. Highly recommended. https://www.ktmmobile.com/main.do

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2019, 12:49:30 PM »
Unlimited data isn't actually unlimited.

It's actually capped at 15GB at LTE speeds and then 3G till the end of the cycle till the month begins.

Well, technically it's still unlimited lol...but not unlimited LTE. So imagine trying to update a 1-2GB app on 3G speeds.