March 25, 2019, 07:40:06 PM

Author Topic: Ethiopian Airlines Crash  (Read 858 times)

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
Re: Ethiopian Airlines Crash
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 09:57:38 AM »
Biking I don't like the odds of me vs. dump truck. That's why if I bike, I say bike on sidewalks. More parity between pedestrian and bicycle.

Assuming the plane is somewhat under control you have as good a chance at walking away from a 60mph impact as you would a car.

Of course if it's at 600mph, well at least it's over quickly. Course driving wise, you could always end up like that car that got smushed by the cement mixer. All things being equal with various modes of death, it really comes down to training and amount of human involvement.

Planes, Trains, and Ships win out on that by a longshot. Buses and cars, not so much. Horses though, are without peer.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »
Yeah let's also take in to account Korean neighborhood bus drivers who drive over 60 in residential areas LOL

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 10:53:34 AM »
I know this is only tangentially related, but I'm curious as to whether any of you have spent time in Addis Ababa? It's the African capital I'd most like to visit. Interesting history, delicious food and coffee and - I assume - a bounty of rare Ethiopian jazz records. I'd love to go some day.
Have never actually been, but it's one of Africa's fastest growing economies. And Bourdain did an episode there which made me put it on my bucket list. It looks promising, and if the government manages it right, could be a South Korea like success story. Something other African countries may want to emulate in 20 years.

The thing that impressed me is that they tell tourists not to give money, or buy stuff, from kids, since they want kids in school. And if they make money on the street it discourages them from going to school.

Yeah will the airport was going through lots of renovations when I was there but Ethiopia did look of some interest to me.  To me I think Rwanda would be probably closer to "the Miracle on the Han" story.  Even more so when they just last decade faced a genocide.  Now Rwanda today is exciting to look at! 

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
Demartino: Assuming the plane is somewhat under control you have as good a chance at walking away from a 60mph impact as you would a car.

You're forgetting about the difference the jet fuel makes to that scenario.  Burns a lot hotter than gasoline if it's ignited. 

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2019, 11:39:48 AM »
Biking I don't like the odds of me vs. dump truck. That's why if I bike, I say bike on sidewalks. More parity between pedestrian and bicycle.

Assuming the plane is somewhat under control you have as good a chance at walking away from a 60mph impact as you would a car.

Of course if it's at 600mph, well at least it's over quickly. Course driving wise, you could always end up like that car that got smushed by the cement mixer. All things being equal with various modes of death, it really comes down to training and amount of human involvement.

Planes, Trains, and Ships win out on that by a longshot. Buses and cars, not so much. Horses though, are without peer.

Baaaad physics my man.

A car and a jumbo jet crashing at 60mph have very different momentums. One exponentially bigger than the other, hence the one with the far larger momentum would have a far smaller chance of survival.

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »
Demartino: Assuming the plane is somewhat under control you have as good a chance at walking away from a 60mph impact as you would a car.

You're forgetting about the difference the jet fuel makes to that scenario.  Burns a lot hotter than gasoline if it's ignited.

I think we all remember the Twin Towers.

Online OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 12:03:53 PM »

I think we all remember the Twin Towers.

Not everyone.  There was a thread just the other day where some knob referred to the twin towers as a slow burning fire that the NYC fire department couldn't get people out of as some idiotic comparison to judging Korea by the inability to rescue the Sewol victims. 

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 12:27:18 PM »

Well that's true. But then you could also take into account that in most plane crashes there isn't the risk of a string of planes colliding you getting crushed by a cement mixer.

Either way, you're right about jet fuel. And momentum. That being said, the shape of the plane can mitigate things or exacerbate them. And it all depends on angles. And of course, not everyone walks away from a 60mph crash either.

Planes are like guns. People who have lived around them their entire lives aren't scared in the slightest about them and think they're super safe. People who haven't tend to get nervous.