March 19, 2019, 02:05:37 PM

Author Topic: Buying an air conditioner question?  (Read 237 times)

Online hangook77

• Expert Waygook
Buying an air conditioner question?
« on: March 08, 2019, 11:14:00 AM »
Buying an air conditioner question?  I moved into a smallish apartment last fall 17 pyeong (59m2).  I was going to purchase a 2 in 1 air con.  But all seem to not have any sales as I have checked repeatedly.  Seems pricey if I only stay a couple more years and leave.  So,I am wondering if I should get a wall one for the bedroom and just tough it out? Of course, it is cheaper than a stand and a wall one.  I'd rather pay 500 or 600 k than to pay 2 million won or more.  But it does mean I am confined to the bedroom for the 2 hottest months of the year?  Any of you done this?

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
Re: Buying an air conditioner question?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »
I just have one on the wall in the bedroom and it's enough for me. I still use the whole apartment but just having somewhere to cool-off has taken all the stress out of summer for me. Totally recommend it.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 11:27:13 AM »
Buying an air conditioner question?  I moved into a smallish apartment last fall 17 pyeong (59m2).  I was going to purchase a 2 in 1 air con.  But all seem to not have any sales as I have checked repeatedly.  Seems pricey if I only stay a couple more years and leave.  So,I am wondering if I should get a wall one for the bedroom and just tough it out? Of course, it is cheaper than a stand and a wall one.  I'd rather pay 500 or 600 k than to pay 2 million won or more.  But it does mean I am confined to the bedroom for the 2 hottest months of the year?  Any of you done this?
An energy efficient wall unit should be able to cool down your entire apartment if you turn it on and run it with the doors open. It may take a couple hours to cool the entire thing down, but it works. It does depend what floor you're on.

Alternatively, you don't have to run it at full blast and you can just cool one room and leave the rest as normal and it can be fine.

Online #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 11:30:05 AM »

Yeah, I have to agree with waygook.org user robin_teacher. For an apartment that size, I wouldn't bother getting a stand unit and a wall unit. Like, get a wall unit and a couple fans for the living room and you'll be golden. My place is 38pyeong and I have a standing and wall unit combo. I didn't even really need the standing unit, since I'm never home during the hottest hours of the day, and the wall one was perfect for sleeping at night. And honestly, at 17pyeong, what I would probably do is put the wall unit in the living room. Turn it on when you're at home and want to be comfy, and then at night, the cool air should have probably cooled your bedroom off enough, too.

But yeah, either way, for an apartment that size, a stand and a wall is crazy overkill. Two wall units would be a lot cheaper, and probably suit your needs better, if you felt like paying for it.

Online lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 03:01:56 PM »
An energy efficient wall unit should be able to cool down your entire apartment if you turn it on and run it with the doors open. It may take a couple hours to cool the entire thing down, but it works. It does depend what floor you're on.

Alternatively, you don't have to run it at full blast and you can just cool one room and leave the rest as normal and it can be fine.

I agree, and I used to run a fan in the doorway to push the cold air out an into the other room. It worked well. The room was ice-cold, how I like it when I sleep, and the living room and bathroom stayed very comfortable. The kitchen was a bit warm, but not too warm.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:31:10 PM »
Buying an air conditioner question?  I moved into a smallish apartment last fall 17 pyeong (59m2).  I was going to purchase a 2 in 1 air con.

Is it really 59 square meters or just said to be 17 pyeong? A 59 m2 sized villa would have 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms +living room of course. The actual size should be written on your rental contract, in square meters.
Even if your place is that big, a standing-wall combo, or two units of any size are unnecessary. Especially since you live alone.
Keep in mind that there are more powerful wall units as well, not just the typical 18-19 m2 rated ones. Also, for A/C units (unlike apartments) their pyeong size will mean the exact same size converted to m2. So a 10 pyeong unit will be able to cool 33m2. They can also cool a larger area than what they are rated for. It wouldn't really be able to reach 18C that way though but still make it comfortable enough.

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 01:49:09 AM »
Buy a second hand one if it's just for a few years.
-Fiat voluntas tua-