March 19, 2019, 02:25:59 PM

Author Topic: Which U.K. county would you like to live if you were given the choice?  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
Re: Which U.K. county would you like to live if you were given the choice?
« Reply #180 on: March 12, 2019, 10:33:13 AM »

what is the biggest animal you could single-handedly tape to a lamppost?

Depends what you mean. Do you mean taped to a lamppost in such a way as to be completely suspended in the air, or just... well, attached to the lamp post with tape? Because I mean, if an elephant is standing with his leg right up against a lamp post, I imagine I could get some tape around it.

If we have to be able to get it completely off the ground and attached firmly enough to stay there, I have to acknowledge that I am fantastically uncoordinated and would probably struggle with anything larger than a grouse.

:laugh:

legitimate question, yes it has to be suspended in the air as you have to lift it and tape it at the same time.

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #181 on: March 12, 2019, 11:00:39 AM »
No it's absolutely not the same thing. I'm laughing that you think it is.

I know it's fashionable to get all angry about the topic of hate-speeching transpeople but generally when people start a sentence with 'just curious' it's when they're not sure about something.

I didn't get angry.

You're complaining because you weren't sure about something and I gave you an answer.... but sure, if you want to imply I'm a snowflake (YAWNNNNNNN) then go right ahead. Everyone needs something.

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #182 on: March 12, 2019, 11:02:06 AM »
right, well basically I failed, as almost every single topic under the sun has been covered other than UK counties you'd like to live in... 

the only topic not covered so far is...

i'm going with otter

Ok, you failed the minute you posted it...because you didn't even include Merseyside (the clear winner  :wink:) in the poll.

So people were angry about this and took it out in the comments...

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #183 on: March 12, 2019, 11:06:33 AM »

I know it's fashionable to get all angry about the topic of hate-speeching transpeople but generally when people start a sentence with 'just curious' it's when they're not sure about something.

I didn't get angry.

You're complaining because you weren't sure about something and I gave you an answer.... but sure, if you want to imply I'm a snowflake (YAWNNNNNNN) then go right ahead. Everyone needs something.

Do you normally laugh at your students when they aren't sure about something and you give them an answer?

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #184 on: March 12, 2019, 11:08:53 AM »

I didn't get angry.

Do you normally laugh at your students when they aren't sure about something and you give them an answer?

Are you one of my students? That's completely different but..ok.

I found the comparison you were drawing absurd. Apologies, but I very clearly wasn't angry.

Online MaximusPrime

• Veteran
« Reply #185 on: March 12, 2019, 11:34:31 AM »

Depends what you mean. Do you mean taped to a lamppost in such a way as to be completely suspended in the air, or just... well, attached to the lamp post with tape? Because I mean, if an elephant is standing with his leg right up against a lamp post, I imagine I could get some tape around it.

If we have to be able to get it completely off the ground and attached firmly enough to stay there, I have to acknowledge that I am fantastically uncoordinated and would probably struggle with anything larger than a grouse.

legitimate question, yes it has to be suspended in the air as you have to lift it and tape it at the same time.

Is it alive and trying to get away?
I bet a baby deer might be doable with some determination.

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #186 on: March 12, 2019, 11:49:32 AM »

Is it alive and trying to get away?
I bet a baby deer might be doable with some determination.

yeh, it does whatever that animal would normally do.  snakes would try and bite you, for example. 

i'd imagine with a deer you'd spend half the time messing around with the tape and then half the time 'ahhhhh'ing about how cute it was. 

Ok, you failed the minute you posted it...because you didn't even include Merseyside (the clear winner  :wink:) in the poll.

yes, I'm a massive waanker for that.  my first thought was, 'wait Merseyside isn't an effing coun.....' *checks internet*  'well, I'll be'.  i'm a twaat of the highest order.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:53:28 AM by Ronnie Omelettes »

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #187 on: March 12, 2019, 11:53:38 AM »
I don't know.

My UK friends keep fighting about where is best, so I can't trust them, lol.

Somewhere north and not London is where I stand.

@ the lamp post discussion: What kind of tape are we talking about? That would also make a difference.

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #188 on: March 12, 2019, 11:55:08 AM »

yes, I'm a massive waanker for that.  my first thought was, 'wait Merseyside isn't an effing coun.....' *checks internet*  'well, I'll be'.  i'm a twaat of the highest order.

Haha....I mean...I'm not entirely sure it would have received many (if any!) votes anyway aha  :laugh:

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #189 on: March 12, 2019, 11:57:53 AM »
@ the lamp post discussion: What kind of tape are we talking about? That would also make a difference.

between your normal 2cm or 4cm tape.  not that cheap stuff that is a centimetre wide that you have trouble finding the end of when you're trying to wrap Christmas presents.  you have to tape it enough that you can walk away and the tapes supports it. 

*disclaimer: no animals we harmed in this game*

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #190 on: March 12, 2019, 12:06:57 PM »

between your normal 2cm or 4cm tape.  not that cheap stuff that is a centimetre wide that you have trouble finding the end of when you're trying to wrap Christmas presents.  you have to tape it enough that you can walk away and the tapes supports it. 

*disclaimer: no animals we harmed in this game*

If it's duct tape, you'd only really be limited by how much you could lift, the max weight capacity of the lamp post, and whether or not you could restrain the animal prior to hoisting it up.

I'm gonna say a large dog, like a mastiff. They're about what I could lift without help, and they'd probably actually let me do this stupid shit to them without too much fight.

... or maybe a lightweight human being. Do people count?

If they're fighting and they're not sedated or restrained, the best I could probably do is, like, a goat or a lamb.

Online Thomas Mc

• Super Waygook
« Reply #191 on: March 12, 2019, 12:51:42 PM »
Edinburgh seems nice. It has a historic castle and located on the Firth of Forth. It has a great university and large student population.

Every summer there is the "Fringe Festival"

Cost of rent somewhat high but not crazy.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #192 on: March 12, 2019, 01:32:30 PM »
Edinburgh seems nice. It has a historic castle and located on the Firth of Forth. It has a great university and large student population.

Every summer there is the "Fringe Festival"

Cost of rent somewhat high but not crazy.

Terrible weather though. Cold wind all year round.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #193 on: March 12, 2019, 07:24:01 PM »
right, well basically I failed, as almost every single topic under the sun has been covered other than UK counties you'd like to live in... 

i'm going with otter

I see your otter and raise you a goose.

You’d have sedate it. Geese fight dirty!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 04:42:54 AM by JNM »

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #194 on: March 13, 2019, 03:14:53 AM »
Purposely referring to a trans person by their previous name and gender is considered transphobic hate speech.
Depends on the context. It certainly can be. But if someone committed some horrific crime and later transitioned, referring to them by the name they were known by as a criminal is fine.

I mean, OJ will always be OJ, even if he transitions to Octavia. It's like baseball stadiums always being Comiskey Field, no matter what corporate name they slap on it.

Whatever you say, Steelrails.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #195 on: March 13, 2019, 07:16:04 AM »

i'm going with otter

I see your otter and raise you a goose.

ohhh, kind of pecky and nippy them.

... or maybe a lightweight human being. Do people count?

If they're fighting and they're not sedated or restrained, the best I could probably do is, like, a goat or a lamb.

ahem, human?  are you thinking about this while looking at some of your students here, Chinguetti.  'yeh, Minsu looks like he'd be easy to tape to a lamp post.  not Sora though'

Online AvecPommesFrites

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #196 on: March 13, 2019, 09:37:37 AM »
The funny thing about this thread is that about 1% of the people on here who don't hold UK passports would be able to move and live in these places.  :laugh:
Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #197 on: March 13, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »
The funny thing about this thread isn't - all the posts about taping things to lampposts.

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #198 on: March 13, 2019, 11:51:54 AM »

You’d have sedate it. Geese fight dirty!

I like it dirty  :evil: :evil:

ohhh, kind of pecky and nippy them.

All the more reason to attempt it like this boss right here!