March 25, 2019, 07:37:29 PM

Author Topic: What US state would you move to, if you wanted to?  (Read 1052 times)

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: What US state would you move to, if you wanted to?
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2019, 06:36:39 PM »
"A new analysis, the Global Wellness Index published by investment firm LetterOne, ranks Canada as the best country out of the 151 nations evaluated. The U.S. trails far behind, coming in at 37."

https://www.fin24.com/Economy/smaller-countries-are-becoming-the-healthiest-in-global-surveys-but-not-sa-20190304

Thanks anyway.  None of the above. I'll stay up north.

No thank you for reading the title of the post, Eh?

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2019, 09:12:06 PM »
I might be movin' to Montana soon
Just to raise me up a crop of Dental Floss Raisin' it up
Waxen it down
In a little white box
I can sell uptown
By myself I wouldn't
Have no boss,
But I'd be raisin' my lonely Dental Floss
Raisin' my lonely Dental Floss
Well I just might grow me some bees
But I'd leave the sweet stuff
For somebody else...
but then, on the other hand
I'd Keep the wax N' melt it down
Pluck some Floss N' swish it aroun'
I'd have me a crop
An' it'd be on top

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2019, 12:04:54 PM »
I have no idea. I lived in California from 2004 to 2013 back when it was relatively affordable. Looking at rental prices now I have no idea how I'd get by there now.

If I had to go back I might try living in Chicago again, which I loved except for the cold winters.

But as I get older I like things a bit quieter, especially after the noisiness of Korea.

Probably a good thing I ended up in Christchurch in New Zealand where rents are still fairly sane, it's fairly quiet for a city, it's easy to get around, and there's stuff to do unlike most US cities of its size which would be hollowed out and full of opioid zombies.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2019, 12:14:46 PM »
I have no idea. I lived in California from 2004 to 2013 back when it was relatively affordable. Looking at rental prices now I have no idea how I'd get by there now.

If I had to go back I might try living in Chicago again, which I loved except for the cold winters.

But as I get older I like things a bit quieter, especially after the noisiness of Korea.

Probably a good thing I ended up in Christchurch in New Zealand where rents are still fairly sane, it's fairly quiet for a city, it's easy to get around, and there's stuff to do unlike most US cities of its size which would be hollowed out and full of opioid zombies.

How did you acquire a visa? Points system, marriage, citizenship? Please send me a message if you don't mind. I loved NZ, but I don't believe I'd qualify for the point system.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2019, 03:33:07 PM »

How did you acquire a visa? Points system, marriage, citizenship? Please send me a message if you don't mind. I loved NZ, but I don't believe I'd qualify for the point system.

My wife is from here.

I personally don't see the point of moving here on a whim, yet there are so many people who study to meet some NZ skill shortage and move here. Jobs here don't pay much yet the rent is too high especially in the North Island. Most of the skill shortages are weird things like furniture upholsterer and sheep shearer or chef where you'd just end up never really getting ahead because they're crap jobs that New Zealanders don't want to do. There are other obvious skill shortages like computer engineers and doctors but they could make far more money in just about any other country.

I have full work rights here and yet I've found it annoyingly hard to find work here. Employers just don't care about experience outside of NZ, and they have plenty of immigrants to hire for crap jobs. I can't imagine what it's like for someone trying to get here on visa points, but you hear about people waiting for like 2 years for their immigration application to be processed just to work at some restaurant that's sponsoring them.

It's a nice country and I enjoy living here, I just don't think it would be worth it to kill yourself to meet the point requirements here and move to the other side of the planet.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 03:34:48 PM by MayorHaggar »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »

My wife is from here.

I personally don't see the point of moving here on a whim, yet there are so many people who study to meet some NZ skill shortage and move here. Jobs here don't pay much yet the rent is too high especially in the North Island. Most of the skill shortages are weird things like furniture upholsterer and sheep shearer or chef where you'd just end up never really getting ahead because they're crap jobs that New Zealanders don't want to do. There are other obvious skill shortages like computer engineers and doctors but they could make far more money in just about any other country.

I have full work rights here and yet I've found it annoyingly hard to find work here. Employers just don't care about experience outside of NZ, and they have plenty of immigrants to hire for crap jobs. I can't imagine what it's like for someone trying to get here on visa points, but you hear about people waiting for like 2 years for their immigration application to be processed just to work at some restaurant that's sponsoring them.

It's a nice country and I enjoy living here, I just don't think it would be worth it to kill yourself to meet the point requirements here and move to the other side of the planet.

Thanks for the reply. I was in Auckland and Great Barrier Island a few years ago. Id like to see South Island sometime though. Hard to tell the difference between a whim and a dream. ;)

Offline williethewimp

• Super Waygook
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2019, 01:55:58 AM »
Texas can be great if you stick to the non-redneck places like Austin there are a few other nice places there. Lived there for 30 years between stints in Korea.

Online Colburnnn

• Waygookin
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2019, 08:40:59 AM »
Texas can be great if you stick to the non-redneck places like Austin there are a few other nice places there. Lived there for 30 years between stints in Korea.

Texas would 100 percent be my choice. From a Brits perspective.

Offline voittaa

• Explorer
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2019, 09:16:47 AM »
Probably Colorado. Growing up in Chicago has deprived me of mountains. I'm generally happier near nature and where I can get on a snowboard.