March 19, 2019, 02:03:38 PM

Author Topic: If you don't want your children to be ill-mannered, stop making these 5 errors  (Read 352 times)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook

No. 5: You don't let others scold them.

This is very bad. Back in the day, teachers and professors could scold our children when they behaved improperly.

They were our eyes and ears when the children were out of sight. nowadays this is almost impossible, given the fact that if a teacher or employee gives a piece of their mind to a child, parents tend to get mad. they don't even try to find out what happened to cause this kind of reaction from a superior. If you act like this, you're basically telling your children to misbehave and that neither you, nor the teacher, or the employee would do anything to stop them.

https://us.wakeupyourmind.net/life/if-you-dont-want-your-kids-to-be-ill-mannered-stop-making-these-5-errors/

Someone needs to translate this into Korean and put it on all the news networks, as well as on all the american news networks.
Catch my drift?

Online tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
dude someone needs to translate this into english first, wtf is this

Online Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
Korean? I would appreciate it if this were translated into English!

What a pile of illiterate gibberish this is!  Actually, I spent about five minutes looking around that site, and the whole thing is a pile of nonsense and stupidity.  Why anyone--especially an educated person--would even admit to spending time there is beyond me.

I'm hopeful that you ended up there because you searched on something like "children misbehave teachers parents", looking for ways you can improve your relations teacher/parent/student-wise, but I'm saddened that this is an answer you think is worth sharing.

BTW, I'm not sure about Korea (but I suspect it's moreso) there is a longtime American principle of law called in loco parentis, meaning that during school hours, the teacher/adult acts in place of the parents--though with certain limitations.  "Scolding" children is allowed, even though I and many experienced teachers would argue that it's not really going to change things much with problem students.  Incidentally, in the olden days, beating children didn't really affect long-term change either. 

In some of your posts, I have noted you complain of a variable level of success in maintaining classroom discipline, and you seem to put it down to a lack of authoritarian control, soft parenting, modern ways, etc.  You previously linked to an abstract (https://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2002/06/spanking  ) with the notation that "All the studies show that CP causes a dramatic increase in student compliance."  Firstly, you should have noted that this study only examined parental CP.  Still, the abstract, though, seems more nuanced:
Gershoff found "strong associations" between corporal punishment and all eleven child behaviors and experiences. Ten of the associations were negative such as with increased child aggression and antisocial behavior. The single desirable association was between corporal punishment and increased immediate compliance on the part of the child.
IOW, the kid may sit down and shut up now, but mostly you will increase aggression and antisocial behavior in the long term.  This doesn't seem like the goal we were really after, does it?

I mean, this pathetic "article" you quoted in the OP was about making your children well-mannered.  I just don't think aggression and anti-social behavior were what "Emma Jenner, a very famous woman" had in mind.

Next time, I humbly suggest you search on something like "research based classroom management".  You will surely find some poor tips, but nothing as bad as this.  And in fact you might find evidence-based methods that with patience and application will no longer make you yearn for the days when teachers assaulted students for some momentary quiet. 

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
someone needs to translate this into english first

if this were translated into English

Hey up its dumb and dumber  :laugh: .  I suppose I could let you sit in on my basic english class for 5 year-olds.
Catch my drift?

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
5-year-olds

;D

-Fiat voluntas tua-