March 27, 2019, 12:44:17 AM

Author Topic: Judging Others  (Read 1518 times)

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
Re: Judging Others
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2019, 10:02:55 AM »
  ...weight alone is not enough to make that judgement. 

This is the kind of thing Dalrymple was going on about in his book. Our common sense tells us that a 500 pound person is unhealthy but our fear of being prejudiced disuades us from acting on it.

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2019, 10:07:25 AM »

This is the kind of thing Dalrymple was going on about in his book. Our common sense tells us that a 500 pound person is unhealthy but our fear of being prejudiced disuades us from acting on it.

No. We've been conditioned to think that because they don't fit the ideal they MUST be unhealthy. This faux concern for health eases our conscience when we judge them without knowing a damn thing about their medical history.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2019, 10:29:47 AM »

No. We've been conditioned to think that because they don't fit the ideal they MUST be unhealthy. This faux concern for health eases our conscience when we judge them without knowing a damn thing about their medical history.

Really? 500 pounds, 220 kg? A person who weighs that much couldn't climb a single flight of stairs without getting out of breath. That's not healthy. Is there an actual upper limit of weight in your opinion when you could safely say someone was unhealthy? 600 pounds? Also you don't think it's more to do with our biology that we recognise signs of illness or disease, rather than being conditioned by images of what's ideal?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 10:44:24 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2019, 10:45:16 AM »

Really? 500 pounds, 220 kg? A person who weighs that much couldn't climb a single flight of stairs without getting out of breath. That's not healthy. You don't think it's more to do with our biology that we recognise signs of illness or disease, rather than being conditioned by images of what's ideal?

Again you are assuming. Do you KNOW anyone at that weight? I'm not saying that extreme (which is an exaggeration for your benefit but I'll bite) is healthy, but you cannot say that a thin person is necessarily healthier for certain. What you are talking about isn't just judgement in this context, it's discrimination and it's illegal.

Put it this way...is smoking healthy? a smoker and a non smoker come in for a job...you would choose the non smoker based purely off that?

A guy in a wheelchair and an able bodied person come in....you would choose the able bodied person? Obviously they are healthier right?

If you used these when employing someone you would be fired and sued SO HARD.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2019, 10:51:02 AM »
Ronnie Omelettes: in short, and on topic, i stopped judging people but I have my naughty judgement of people who wear 'MAGA' hats or people who go to Trump's rallies.  nothing tells me more that person is a dimwit. 

And I've judged you to be a hypocrite. 

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2019, 11:01:24 AM »
Put it this way...is smoking healthy? a smoker and a non smoker come in for a job...you would choose the non smoker based purely off that?

Smoking is less obviously a hindrance to a person's ability to do a job. Firstly you don't know how much they smoke and most smoking related conditions manifest themselves later in life. Professional footballers have played in the world cup on forty cigs a day. However, if a sixty year old guy came in with yellow fingers, reeking of tobacco smoke and coughed throughout the interview, it might affect my judgement, yes.

A guy in a wheelchair and an able bodied person come in....you would choose the able bodied person? Obviously they are healthier right?

Disabled people have certain rights, obese people are not afforded at the moment as far as I know, which is why you would get sued.

http://time.com/4883176/weight-discrimination-workplace-laws/

Of course that might change in the future.

Offline Colburnnn

• Waygookin
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2019, 11:05:39 AM »
If you used these when employing someone you would be fired and sued SO HARD.

How do you know this was the reason they were not employed in order to sue?

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2019, 11:07:11 AM »

Smoking is less obviously a hindrance to a person's ability to do a job. Firstly you don't know how much they smoke and most smoking related conditions manifest themselves later in life. Professional footballers have played in the world cup on forty cigs a day. However, if a sixty year old guy came in with yellow fingers, reeking of tobacco smoke and coughed throughout the interview, it might affect my judgement, yes.

Disabled people have certain rights, obese people are not afforded at the moment as far as I know, which is why you would get sued.

http://time.com/4883176/weight-discrimination-workplace-laws/

Of course that might change in the future.

Ding ding ding! That is EXACTLY my point about obese people. You don't know how it affects them and how it might manifest. I worked in a hospital, there are MANY smoking issues that affect younger smokers. You made my point for me.

Also I call bs on the 40 cigs a day World Cup example. I could also point to many obese people who've ran marathons etc.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 11:08:58 AM by debbiem89 »

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2019, 11:23:55 AM »
Ding ding ding! That is EXACTLY my point about obese people. You don't know how it affects them and how it might manifest. I worked in a hospital, there are MANY smoking issues that affect younger smokers. You made my point for me.

No I didn't. I said smoking mostly affects people later in life. If you see a 500 pound person you can predict with a fair degree of certainty that they are unhealthy right now.

Also I call bs on the 40 cigs a day World Cup example. I could also point to many obese people who've ran marathons etc.

No obese person has ever 'run' a marathon. They may have made it round the course in half a day.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/may/21/seven-deadly-sins-socrates-brazil

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2019, 11:36:53 AM »

No I didn't. I said smoking mostly affects people later in life. If you see a 500 pound person you can predict with a fair degree of certainty that they are unhealthy right now.

No obese person has ever 'run' a marathon. They may have made it round the course in half a day.
Yet again, your comment is peppered with assumptions.

You don't know that, unless you have the stats and times of everyone who's ever ran a marathon ever. Also walking it is still better than a lot of skinny people could manage.

It's funny that you give the smoker the benefit of the doubt but not someone who is obese.

You say mostly smokers are affected later in life (says who?...) ...therefore we can't judge them just based off of that...but when it's obese people? You go straight in with a blanket statement and judgement. Your example earlier of the tenth floor...you think a heavy smoker could manage that? Maybe, maybe not.

The way you speak about obese people you'd think that they were all laid up in bed their whole lives, not you know working and living just like everyone else. If they were then America would be absolutely screwed.

Health is not necessarily determined by weight. It is certainly no reason to discriminate against someone. I'm pretty shocked I'm having this conversation and someone is actually defending it in this day and age. Mind=blown.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »
I'm pretty shocked I'm having this conversation and someone is actually defending it in this day and age. Mind=blown.

You being shocked doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 12:55:07 PM »
I'm pretty shocked I'm having this conversation and someone is actually defending it in this day and age. Mind=blown.

You being shocked doesn't make your argument any stronger.

Did I say it did? No. I'm simply making an observation about the conversation.

Your argument is also not stronger by attempting a "witty" dig at something minor I said.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2019, 01:47:42 PM »
Health is not necessarily determined by weight.
Well, that depends on body composition. However, assuming "weight"=obesity for the purposes of discussion, obesity is one of the most predictive factors for health problems. Is it a guarantee? No. Is it not just statistically significant, but highly predictive? Yes.

It is certainly no reason to discriminate against someone.
That being said, I'd agree that in most cases it isn't. Perhaps with a few specified physical jobs, but we're not talking most occupations.

Will and can you judge people for obesity? Sure. Does it sometimes make sense to? Sure. Should it affect hiring and other equal opportunity situations? In the overwhelming majority of cases, no.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2019, 02:01:29 PM »
Will and can you judge people for obesity? Sure. Does it sometimes make sense to? Sure. Should it affect hiring and other equal opportunity situations? In the overwhelming majority of cases, no.

One example where it comes up quite a lot is in kindergarten teaching. Parents want a teacher who's lively and able to do plenty of active games or TPR with students.  A morbidly obese teacher is highly likely to remain in his/her chair for most, if not all of the lesson.

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2019, 02:06:33 PM »

One example where it comes up quite a lot is in kindergarten teaching. Parents want a teacher who's lively and able to do plenty of active games or TPR with students.  A morbidly obese teacher is highly likely to remain in his/her chair for most, if not all of the lesson.

Where are you getting these assumptions? It's absolutely insane you are just making stuff up.

LOADS of kindergarten teachers are obese or have small children themselves.

Stereotyping doesn't help anyone.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2019, 03:01:30 PM »

Where are you getting these assumptions? It's absolutely insane you are just making stuff up.

LOADS of kindergarten teachers are obese or have small children themselves.

Stereotyping doesn't help anyone.

you are just making stuff up

Like I was making stuff up about footballers smoking two packs a day?

Here's an article on it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4859606/Mother-refuses-let-daughter-taught-FAT-teacher.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 03:16:24 PM by eggieguffer »

Online LIC

• Adventurer
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2019, 10:18:26 PM »
Frankly, I'd like to meet someone, anyone, who has never judged anyone for any reason.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2019, 11:45:44 PM »

you are just making stuff up

Like I was making stuff up about footballers smoking two packs a day?

Here's an article on it

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4859606/Mother-refuses-let-daughter-taught-FAT-teacher.html

I think maybe you were making stuff up, because there is not a single thing in this article about footballers smoking two packs a day, or even footballers, at all. 

Not that I'm judging you ...

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2019, 05:32:25 AM »
Shoes.
Superficial impressions are often made by looking at shoes.
Buy great shoes and half the war is won.
Stupid, but true.
(Ignore at your peril.)

Offline apancoe

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2019, 07:43:23 AM »
Shoes.
Superficial impressions are often made by looking at shoes.
Buy great shoes and half the war is won.
Stupid, but true.
(Ignore at your peril.)

i kinda do this? but it's more of just admiring when somebody has some fly ass shoes more so than judging somebody who doesn't. btw, any sneakerheads on here? i'm not waiting in lines to cop new releases, but i love seeing somebody that's got some heat on.

p.s. i've gotten into the habit of taking my shoes to the dry cleaners like every other month or so to get cleaned. where i'm from in the states, this wasn't an option at the dry cleaners in my area. over here it's like 3,000 a pair and it keeps my sht looking extra crispy... to the point where i'm dying to buy new shoes but i can't justify it because all of mine look brand new even tho they're 3 or 4 or 5 years old.
too many blueprints & not enough architects