March 19, 2019, 01:59:24 PM

Author Topic: EPIK orientation  (Read 642 times)

Online doradevi

• Waygookin
EPIK orientation
« on: February 25, 2019, 06:29:12 PM »
Hi guys,

Just wondering can EPIK kick you out for not attending two classes during orientation? Note: I'm a transferring teacher.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
Re: EPIK orientation
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 07:10:49 AM »
Word on the street is yes, if you don't attend all your assigned orientation classes than you probably will be given a talking to which might result in some disciplinary action.  I don't know but I've always just do what's expected of me.  However, if you've already done the orientation in the past they can work out a thing with you where you can have your orientation time reduced and come in later and skip all the intro stuff that's usually reserved for noobs to Korea. 

P.S. I'm probably going to get somebody on here that SHOUTS BS! I skipped out on the whole thing and had a friend put my name on the sign in list and I'm fine! And for that well I tip my hat off to you if you managed to keep your job with EPIK and get away with it.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 07:12:34 AM by Piggydee »

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 07:17:04 AM »
 They want you to do the medical and open lesson. That means you can show up at least 3 days late

Offline lhelena

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 07:30:22 AM »
The teacher I replaced last year transferred to Seoul and was actually at the same orientation I was. She showed up halfway through and was fine. I was in the spring orientation last year and that was when there were a ton of teachers being transitioned from GEPIK to EPIK but staying at their same schools. I think  a lot of them were allowed to come later due to either still needing to be at work, being on vacation or just because of the inconvenience. So I think as long as they know what's going on you should be fine. :)

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2019, 07:39:29 AM »
The teacher I replaced last year transferred to Seoul and was actually at the same orientation I was. She showed up halfway through and was fine. I was in the spring orientation last year and that was when there were a ton of teachers being transitioned from GEPIK to EPIK but staying at their same schools. I think  a lot of them were allowed to come later due to either still needing to be at work, being on vacation or just because of the inconvenience. So I think as long as they know what's going on you should be fine. :)

Well actually A LOT of us had to be there since day one (Gepik to Epik here)  Only a few of the Gepik to Epik hires got to come in later as apparently they went to an orientation before.  But I met a few guys who had been with GEPIK for years with families and all have to be there day 1 like me.  I met another girl who came in later but that was because she said she had the orientation before so they reduced her time and she just came in for I like the final 5 or 4 days of the program.

They want you to do the medical and open lesson. That means you can show up at least 3 days late

That's correct!

Offline SanderB

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2019, 10:17:22 AM »
the medical and open lesson

Absolutely ridiculous, unless you get paid for it.
But really, which school would ask for a medical! I believe it's even illegal to ask for a medical history of your applicants AND employees! So infuriated rn. >:(
-Fiat voluntas tua-

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2019, 11:48:14 AM »

But really, which school would ask for a medical! I believe it's even illegal to ask for a medical history of your applicants AND employees! So infuriated rn. >:(

YES schools are NO LONGER required to ask for HIV check anymore HOWEVER hospitals have been administering the test because of the fact that we are foreigners.  Which is stupid because immigration is no longer asking for it too.  There are ways around it but you must be strong in Korean to tell them that you do not want that test done to you.  I'm sure there are hospitals in Seoul that are more English speaking based that you could go to and have the health check done that doesn't involve HIV.  They still check for drugs though which is not a problem for me because I'm not into weed like that.  So the health/drug check shouldn't be a problem. 

Online NorthStar

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2019, 12:33:20 PM »

YES schools are NO LONGER required to ask for HIV check anymore HOWEVER hospitals have been administering the test because of the fact that we are foreigners.  Which is stupid because immigration is no longer asking for it too.  There are ways around it but you must be strong in Korean to tell them that you do not want that test done to you.  I'm sure there are hospitals in Seoul that are more English speaking based that you could go to and have the health check done that doesn't involve HIV.  They still check for drugs though which is not a problem for me because I'm not into weed like that.  So the health/drug check shouldn't be a problem.

I have found, that when asked...the hospital admin will NOT admit that they are still testing for HIV.  Honestly, I really don't mind, as I can understand the concern ..legitimate.  However, the basis, is that the schools need to test the the Koreans that get hired as well....and they don't (at least at a hagwon). 

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »
I went and I believe it was three or so days after the beginning?

We had to have the medical but we DIDN'T have to do the open class. We just had to go and participate in others' open classes.

The medical is required by Korean teachers too....but they have to do it every other year instead of annually.

The orientation cut right into my vacation time and I was advised to keep a few days of vacation aside to use for that. F THAT.

I didn't use my vacation days on it and no one ever said anything. My school just let me go.

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2019, 01:54:00 PM »

I have found, that when asked...the hospital admin will NOT admit that they are still testing for HIV.  Honestly, I really don't mind, as I can understand the concern ..legitimate.  However, the basis, is that the schools need to test the the Koreans that get hired as well....and they don't (at least at a hagwon).

Why is it a legitimate concern?

Would being HIV positive in ANY way affect your job performance?

Korean teachers have the same medical.

Online Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2019, 03:00:37 PM »
The orientation cut right into my vacation time and I was advised to keep a few days of vacation aside to use for that. F THAT.

I didn't use my vacation days on it and no one ever said anything. My school just let me go.

Yeah I remember having to come back one day earlier to I could make it to the orientation on time.  But yeah I find that really unfair that if you are on vacation that you been asked to use some of it on orientation. ugh 

What do you mean by your school "let me go."  As in fired you or as in let you have your vacation and forget the EPIK stuff?

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2019, 03:14:38 PM »

Yeah I remember having to come back one day earlier to I could make it to the orientation on time.  But yeah I find that really unfair that if you are on vacation that you been asked to use some of it on orientation. ugh 

What do you mean by your school "let me go."  As in fired you or as in let you have your vacation and forget the EPIK stuff?

Sorry I mean they let me go to the orientation without making me take vacation days.

I still had to go but I didn't have to use any of my 18 days.

Online NorthStar

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2019, 06:24:20 PM »

You know why...

Online CypherSoul

• Veteran
  • U wot m8?
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2019, 08:42:32 AM »

You know why...

why?
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2019, 09:37:14 AM »

You know why...

Please, enlighten us.

Don't leave us on a cliff hanger here.

Offline yfb

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2019, 09:40:10 AM »

You know why...

Please, enlighten us.

Don't be dense. You can bet that a HIV-positive foreigner would be fired or deported the instant the test results came back. Even if the school and immigration is no longer officially asking for it, they would make up an excuse to get rid of you. The same probably wouldn't happen to a Korean.

Online debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2019, 09:49:57 AM »

You know why...

Please, enlighten us.

Don't be dense. You can bet that a HIV-positive foreigner would be fired or deported the instant the test results came back. Even if the school and immigration is no longer officially asking for it, they would make up an excuse to get rid of you. The same probably wouldn't happen to a Korean.

You've misread here I think.

He's saying an employee being HIV positive would be a legit concern for the school and he understands why they test for it (unless I'm mistaken)

OBVIOUSLY I know why it's a concern for the foreigner.