March 25, 2019, 08:41:05 PM

Author Topic: What works better for you: hookup apps or hookup sites?  (Read 1187 times)

Offline haotico

• Explorer
What works better for you: hookup apps or hookup sites?
« on: February 21, 2019, 03:21:56 AM »
In the past 4-5 years, I tried (and I am still using) many hookup apps and hookup sites to arrange hook-ups.

Tried almost everything but not I am on 4 hookup sites and 2 apps (Tinder and Pure). For me a bit better are sites than apps, I am having an impression that is a bit lower competition on sites. On the other side, I have the impression that 9/10 and 10/10 guys, bang all girls on apps.

I am interested what working better for you, when it comes to finding some casual sex partners: sites or apps?

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
Re: What works better for you: hookup apps or hookup sites?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:36 AM »
That's tough to answer.  Apps and dating don't work as it's all or mostly geared to Seoul.  If you live far from there down south like me, it's a pain taking buses or trains to get up there.  Also expensive.  Korea doesn't have the same hookup culture outside of Itaewon and a few districts of Seoul.  The rest of the country less so.  Not saying it doesn't happen, it has happened rarely.  I think it has happened for most foreigners with other foreigners mostly.  I would say most foreigners hang out with other foreigners and go to foreigner bars in their regional cities.  Quite stuffy and restrictive to me.  I don't like it as well.  I prefer to go out into Korean society and meet the girl working at Starbucks who smiles at me or the chick walking down the street who gives me a stare or the woman who works in one of my schools who gives me a glance and shyly smiles or laughs when I talk to her. 

Personally apps and dating sites don't work so well for me.  I've tried tinder and swiping, but rarely get swiped back.  But then in person women do act attracted to me.  I am a decent looking guy, but those sites, little dice.  Some swear they work well though.  So, not sure what the deal is.  I have heard from others find language exchanges in your area and Facebook groups.  But don't get disappointed when it actually really is language exchange.  Sometimes can turn into something more. 

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 09:07:18 AM »
I should add there may be other more Korean specific sites that I am unaware of though and that could factor into things.  Also, some group meets or language exchanges not sure if kakao or wechat has any use or not.

Offline haotico

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2019, 08:28:06 AM »
I should add there may be other more Korean specific sites that I am unaware of though and that could factor into things.  Also, some group meets or language exchanges not sure if kakao or wechat has any use or not.

hangook77, thanks for the detailed answer from your perspective, it is useful for me to understand various point of views.

Offline sh9wntm

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 10:51:29 AM »
What Hangook77 said, youíre in the wrong place for casual hookups (unless youíre in Seoul). Korea in general is probably the most difficult country Iíve been to for that because of the language barrier, the people are shy (prude) and hesitant to let you in the inner circle, and traditional monogamy is expected. The further away from a city you are, the more impossible it seems. Hong Kong and Taipei are really good places for tinder.

Your best bet is other expats Tbh.

Online NorthStar

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 11:24:56 AM »
I notice many of the females on those types of social media outlets, are seeking free English lessons, under the ruse of a hook up.  Or, angry females who want to take their angst out, on the online admirer.  Some folks have had some luck but they are generally a waste of time, in Korea...yes, PRUDES. 

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »
Whatever the guys said above is mostly true. Unless your Korean is truly fluent, and you look like a Korean, then there is a plethora of Korean language apps, where Koreans do hookup way outside of the major cities. Your phone will basically be in Korean language mode to find these apps. The only foreigners on there are ones that look like Koreans (basically east-Asian looking people with top-notch Korean language ability).

Also, the same stats apply, girls get like 100 to 1 more messages than guys.

Online NorthStar

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2019, 08:47:57 PM »
Clarification:  The Korean ladies on those sites are the prude, looking either for free English lessons or someone out of a pop video.  In my opinion, women with that mentality are simply mental midgets (vast amount here).

However, the ladies from S.E. Asia SEEM a bit more real...but then again, many of them are divorced or have 10 kids. 

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2019, 09:26:50 PM »
I saw an ad for Tinder on TV the other day, one of the main cable movie channels, looked like they were trying to sell it as a medium for friendship/hanging out/dating in that order.

Offline kobayashi

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 12:10:37 AM »
the mods need to delete this thread, this is nothing but a thinly-veiled attempt to generate clicks for the two links posted in the OP.

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2019, 07:35:10 AM »
the mods need to delete this thread, this is nothing but a thinly-veiled attempt to generate clicks for the two links posted in the OP.

What are you on about?
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline haotico

• Explorer
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2019, 08:09:06 AM »

What are you on about?

well, I am interested too ... :)

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2019, 08:23:51 AM »
well, I am interested too ... :)

It's like Kobayashi is implying that you have a stake in the Daily Dot? hahaha Are you a shareholder in The Daily Dot that is so desperate to make money that you share articles on a Korean Teaching Forum?
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2019, 08:50:47 AM »
Maybe Kobayashi has a stake in some other app or site.

Online SPQR

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2019, 08:10:26 PM »
Are you in Seoul?  Then join clubs. Preferably clubs that would be
interesting to women.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 08:12:20 AM by SPQR »

Offline haotico

• Explorer
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2019, 01:54:56 AM »
Clarification:  The Korean ladies on those sites are the prude, looking either for free English lessons or someone out of a pop video.  In my opinion, women with that mentality are simply mental midgets (vast amount here).

However, the ladies from S.E. Asia SEEM a bit more real...but then again, many of them are divorced or have 10 kids.

Thanks for your opinion, and you made me laugh "...many of them are divorced or have 10 kids...", lol, good one! :)