March 19, 2019, 01:27:10 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Water heater issues- cold showers:(  (Read 420 times)

Offline jpar727

• Newgookin
Water heater issues- cold showers:(
« on: February 13, 2019, 12:04:00 AM »
Hey all, I have a Kiturami boiler (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tGxdFUKLxT3EmsGh7mL0NLySRovETuu_L6KUU7B-1rw/edit?usp=sharing) that heats my floors and water. 

Lately, the hot water only lasts about 2 minutes when I shower, and ends up lukewarm no matter what I do.  I never use my floor heater, so I doubt that's the issue.  I had no issues with the hot water until now (I've been here for 6 months), and I can't figure out what's wrong.  My landlord even got someone to take a look, and the guy fiddled with my boiler but ultimately didn't help at all.  Has anyone experienced something similar?   

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
Re: Water heater issues- cold showers:(
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 04:54:56 AM »
I did, but there could be multiple reasons for it.

In my own case, my boiler needed a new microchip.

And it sounds like your landlord didn't get a proper boiler man to look at your boiler because (s)he doesn't want to spend any money on one, and now (s)he is leaving you to fend for yourself? Or is the landlord planning to call in a professional?

I would definitely get your school involved if not (are you with a school?), especially if the school is providing the apartment to you. That way there is proper communication between the two of you, and the landlord will have a harder time trying to pull a fast one. The landlord is responsible for getting your boiler fixed properly (and to buy a new one if it cannot be fixed), but they're probably hoping to take advantage of you as a foreigner and to get you to pay for the handyman and repair yourself. Unless you damaged the boilder by banging away at it with a hammer or something, it is 100% the landlord's financial responsibility.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 05:00:30 AM by Chinguetti »

Offline nightninja

• Explorer
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 07:50:03 AM »
I had a very similar problem a while ago. It only happened in winter. What worked for me was turning on the floor heat and letting that run for a little bit and taking a shower while it was on....it actually got really hot. Another thing that worked was to let the sink run on warm for a little while before trying to take a shower and then not having the shower on full blast.

I've had both oil and gas boilers, so these were the things that worked for me. Maybe it has something to do with the insulation you have around your water pipes?

Online belocean11

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2019, 07:55:28 AM »
If you have an older boiler, many of them will not produce hot water when you open the faucet all the way open. Try letting your faucet/shower run on half pressure to see if that changes anything. I live in an older building, and this is the only way I can get hot water in the winter.

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 09:26:52 AM »
I never use my floor heater

It's not the first time I've read something like this, and I have to ask, how do you stay warm in the winter?

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 11:39:52 AM »
Hey all, I have a Kiturami boiler (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1tGxdFUKLxT3EmsGh7mL0NLySRovETuu_L6KUU7B-1rw/edit?usp=sharing) that heats my floors and water. 

Lately, the hot water only lasts about 2 minutes when I shower, and ends up lukewarm no matter what I do.  I never use my floor heater, so I doubt that's the issue.  I had no issues with the hot water until now (I've been here for 6 months), and I can't figure out what's wrong.  My landlord even got someone to take a look, and the guy fiddled with my boiler but ultimately didn't help at all.  Has anyone experienced something similar?   

If it was okay before, then you got some problem with the boiler. Can't blame it on the cold weather because it's been cold like now for 2 months or so.

Get your landlord to call Kiturami A/S. Phone number is on the boiler. They know these boilers like the back of their hands. It only costs 20k for a visit to your home. They can either fix it right there or tell what part needs replacing. Maybe the whole unit have to be replaced.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 11:51:28 AM »
I never use my floor heater

It's not the first time I've read something like this, and I have to ask, how do you stay warm in the winter?
Electric heater+electric blanket? Depending on how you do things, it can save a bunch of money.

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 01:51:19 PM »
how much does everyone pay for floor heating, then? my (3 room) place is never over about 90k a month - and that's leaving it on all of the time

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2019, 08:39:56 AM »
how much does everyone pay for floor heating, then? my (3 room) place is never over about 90k a month - and that's leaving it on all of the time

Gas is cheap in Korea. I can't understand how some people will struggle with electric heaters, mats and blankets just to save 20 or 30k per month. Electric heaters cost money to run too.

Online Chinguetti

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2019, 08:43:08 AM »
I avoid floor heating simply because it causes massive mold growth in my apartment. It doesn't matter what I do to counter it, my walls produce a ton of condensation, and I end up having to replace my wallpaper.

Offline AnnaW

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2019, 08:48:05 AM »
If you have an older boiler, many of them will not produce hot water when you open the faucet all the way open. Try letting your faucet/shower run on half pressure to see if that changes anything. I live in an older building, and this is the only way I can get hot water in the winter.

Thank you! I am able to have nice hot showers now. I wish I would have learned this trick sooner. (I am not the op)

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 08:59:04 AM »

Sounds a lot.