March 27, 2019, 12:05:11 AM

Author Topic: Which modern or relatively modern English words/sayings irritate you.  (Read 3058 times)

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
Re: Which modern or relatively modern English words/sayings irritate you.
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2019, 09:05:25 AM »
"The feels"/"All the feels"

Has anyone noticed how much their own speaking style and writing style has changed since living here?  Sometimes I think that if my friends and family back home could hear how I speak and read my texts they'd say "alexisalex, why are you speaking so weirdly?"  :laugh:

I kept saying aiisshhhhhhhhhhhh at my bro's wedding in September. Everyone looked at me like I'd lost the plot.

Also, dropped the C-word (people don't like the word, I get it, but the way I used it was.......... contextually relevant and not the worst way imaginable? haha) around the campfire. THAT did not go over well. It's easy to forget I'm not around a bunch of Brits, Aussies, Kiwis etc. I find even a lot of the Yanks who live here don't get as mad at the word when they hear it because of all the different English versions we get jumbled around our head.

Middle class suburban Canadians? Not so much, hahaha.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2019, 09:17:11 AM »

How about the subjunctive mood? Anybody up for a good shouting match about whether or not it should exist?  :smiley:
to be honest, i could care less
:laugh:But irregardless of that, it's a great topic to upset people with. It brings out all the feels. Makes them shook.
It's important that it be discussed to maximize awareness of its uselessness.

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2019, 09:20:53 AM »
Lol Kyndo  :laugh:

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2019, 10:14:04 AM »

Has anyone noticed how much their own speaking style and writing style has changed since living here?  Sometimes I think that if my friends and family back home could hear how I speak and read my texts they'd say "alexisalex, why are you speaking so weirdly?"  :laugh:

A little, but “all the feels” is something my 20-something Canadian kids post on instagram, and they have never been to Lorea.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2019, 10:18:11 AM »

A little, but “all the feels” is something my 20-something Canadian kids post on instagram, and they have never been to Lorea.

New waygook.org user JNM lore revealed.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
The joys of fauxtherhood

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2019, 10:23:50 AM »

Oh yeah I should have noted they're separate points.

I just notice little things like saying "wow" for example.  I can't remember saying it much in England.  Or I find myself saying things like "I'm going to take a rest" or "I feel sleepy".  I suppose I'm mirroring the English spoken by those around me.  I've basically cut all idiomatic language from my speech (to avoid miscommunication) which is actually a very unnatural thing to do with English.

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2019, 10:31:55 AM »

I just notice little things like saying "wow" for example.  I can't remember saying it much in England.  Or I find myself saying things like "I'm going to take a rest" or "I feel sleepy".  I suppose I'm mirroring the English spoken by those around me.  I've basically cut all idiomatic language from my speech (to avoid miscommunication) which is actually a very unnatural thing to do with English.

Totally agree.... I use words I would NEVER use at home..."handsome"... "delicious" etc. Any regional slang has all but gone too...(I now call "tea"....."dinner" much to the amusement of everyone back home up North haha).

My English is definitely mirrored from those around me. I find myself using the same awkward sentences.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2019, 10:39:02 AM »

Totally agree.... I use words I would NEVER use at home..."handsome"... "delicious" etc. Any regional slang has all but gone too...(I now call "tea"....."dinner" much to the amusement of everyone back home up North haha).

My English is definitely mirrored from those around me. I find myself using the same awkward sentences.

i am so confused. my whole life, i thought i spoke english... until i just read this.

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2019, 10:43:04 AM »

i am so confused. my whole life, i thought i spoke english... until i just read this.

The tea/dinner thing? Yeahhh where I'm from it's  Breakfast/Dinner/Tea opposed to Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. Regional innit.  :laugh:

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #90 on: February 14, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
I think it's safe to say we all learn quite a bit about our own language while we're here, despite everything.
The World Ends With You

Offline tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #91 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:51 AM »

The tea/dinner thing? Yeahhh where I'm from it's  Breakfast/Dinner/Tea opposed to Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. Regional innit.  :laugh:

excuse me what the ****. lol that's wiiiiild. where are you from?

my 2 new irritating things are people calling the 3rd meal of the day tea instead of dinner. do you not eat food? do you even have tea? tea with the food? you're breaking my world debbie

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #92 on: February 14, 2019, 11:13:18 AM »

excuse me what the ****. lol that's wiiiiild. where are you from?

my 2 new irritating things are people calling the 3rd meal of the day tea instead of dinner. do you not eat food? do you even have tea? tea with the food? you're breaking my world debbie

Haha I have NO idea why we call it tea. I'm from North England....so even the Southerners think we are insane. All I know is my nan thinks I'm suddenly all airs and graces since I've started saying dinner  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 11:18:19 AM by debbiem89 »

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2019, 12:05:18 PM »
Dinner's at twelve, tea's at five  :laugh:  Christ I miss England...

Offline debbiem89

• Super Waygook
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 12:06:21 PM »
Dinner's at twelve, tea's at five  :laugh:  Christ I miss England...

Haha I'm glad someone agrees!

My family near disowned me when I called it dinner.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #95 on: February 14, 2019, 12:14:42 PM »
Breakfast-Dinner-Supper anyone?

I remember first encountering that in the Boxcar Children books as a child and being mildly irritated at Lunch being turned into Dinner.

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2019, 12:18:46 PM »
I think in the past 5 pm tea was called High Tea.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #97 on: February 14, 2019, 01:52:52 PM »
My grandparents used to have breakfast, elevenses, lunch, dinner, supper. Posh-oes

I had breakfast, lunch, tea

Offline JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #98 on: February 14, 2019, 01:56:38 PM »
My grandparents used to have breakfast, elevenses, lunch, dinner, supper. Posh-oes

I had breakfast, lunch, tea

No second breakfast?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #99 on: February 14, 2019, 02:08:39 PM »
FOURTH MEAL!!!!