February 22, 2019, 10:24:04 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Which modern or relatively modern English words/sayings irritate you.  (Read 2038 times)

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Which modern or relatively modern English words/sayings irritate you.
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2019, 09:48:41 AM »
Wow DM, who rained on your parade this morning?  I never said it was stupid, I said it irritates me. This is not a serious thread and there is no need to be rude. If you can't join in the spirit of the topic, leave the room. Simple.
It shouldn't irritate you. If it irritates you, you have a problem. It is a really important and critical distinction. It's like saying "When people use microwave oven to describe a stove." A microwave isn't a stove, it's a microwave. It's called something different because IT IS something different. Sorry, but if you say something that ridiculous, you deserve the flaming that is coming your way.

So for example, if someone said: "Dude, it's so easy it isn't stressful at all.' BUT they meant (or somehow imagine that they said): "Dude, it's so easy it shouldn't be stressful at all."  Wouldn't that be ridiculous by those standards?

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2019, 09:48:49 AM »
i really dislike the the word snowflake and i think it's used way too much

Yes the original meaning has been hijacked. Now it just means anyone who complains about something. Which is everyone.

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2019, 09:54:47 AM »
Wow DM, who rained on your parade this morning?  I never said it was stupid, I said it irritates me. This is not a serious thread and there is no need to be rude. If you can't join in the spirit of the topic, leave the room. Simple.
Your point wasn't lighthearted or funny. This is actually something that happens in comedy- when someone tries to make a joke about something, but it's actually something real and serious, it isn't funny. And the person needs to get called out for their ridiculous point.

DM is right guys. The proper definition and use of "Person of Interest" is no laughing matter
The World Ends With You

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2019, 09:55:18 AM »
This is just a fun posting. Some words/sayings I hear these days really irritate me. Which ones irritate you?

and most PC terms.

Haha what? Things like RAM, motherboard, or monitor bother you? That seems... like something you wouldn't necessarily need to complain about.

PC = politically correct, not computer components.    :laugh:

Wait... what? You can't just randomly make up different meanings for acronyms that have been established and widely used for like 30 years.

That would be like me saying like, "Oh man, I absolutely hate the UK!" "Wait, why are you trashing the United Kingdom?" "No, I meant uncooked kale haha!"

Like... PC has literally been used for 'personal computer' for decades.

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2019, 10:01:55 AM »
Wait... what? You can't just randomly make up different meanings for acronyms that have been established and widely used for like 30 years.

That would be like me saying like, "Oh man, I absolutely hate the UK!" "Wait, why are you trashing the United Kingdom?" "No, I meant uncooked kale haha!"

I can't decide whether you're taking the piss or not, as "Personal Computer" and "Politically Correct" are both widely used terms these days, but I'll leave this here anyway:

"P.C."
: abbreviation for personal computer is from 1978; abbreviation for politically correct is circa 1990.
source
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 10:08:44 AM by kyndo »

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 10:03:43 AM »
DM, you are just looking for an argument as usual. I am not going to take the bait. As I said if you don't like the thread, go away. Is it necessary to scour the website just to pick a fight with someone? You seem to do this on a daily basis. 

I am perfectly entitled to feel irritated about anything I like and you have no right to say what I can feel irritated about or not. At the moment you are irritating me. Just join the spirit of the thread or go away and stop being obnoxious.
And I'm perfectly entitled to call you out for this one.

It's like saying "it irritates me when people call someone who is a Japanese-American "Hispanic-American". Uhm, those are two different things and they're called different things for good reason, even though both deal with ethnicity and nationality. And yeah, that deserves to be pointed out as a dumb complaint.

Anyways, don't let this one thing get to you. Post some more! Maybe even work them into a story about the condom-filled streets of Gangnam, the most crazy neighborhood in the world.

Online confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 10:04:55 AM »
This is just a fun posting. Some words/sayings I hear these days really irritate me. Which ones irritate you?

and most PC terms.

Haha what? Things like RAM, motherboard, or monitor bother you? That seems... like something you wouldn't necessarily need to complain about.

I didn't make that up. It is widely used these days.
Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 10:08:01 AM »
Your point wasn't lighthearted or funny. This is actually something that happens in comedy- when someone tries to make a joke about something, but it's actually something real and serious, it isn't funny. And the person needs to get called out for their ridiculous point.

DM is right guys. The proper definition and use of "Person of Interest" is no laughing matter

Yeah, it is one of those things that IS an important distinction.

Imagine if confusedsaffer was someone's boss and the cops came in and told him one of his employees was a "Person of Interest", would he just conflate that with suspect? Would he fire the guy? Would he be suspicious of him? Would he violate any of the employee's rights?

Sorry, but that's the kind of thing I really want someone to know the difference on and if you conflate that with "suspect", you are being willfully ignorant and I don't even want to think how someone like that might be on a jury.

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 10:08:24 AM »
DM, you are just looking for an argument as usual. I am not going to take the bait. As I said if you don't like the thread, go away. Is it necessary to scour the website just to pick a fight with someone? You seem to do this on a daily basis. 

I am perfectly entitled to feel irritated about anything I like and you have no right to say what I can feel irritated about or not. At the moment you are irritating me. Just join the spirit of the thread or go away and stop being obnoxious.
And I'm perfectly entitled to call you out for this one.

It's like saying "it irritates me when people call someone who is a Japanese-American "Hispanic-American". Uhm, those are two different things and they're called different things for good reason, even though both deal with ethnicity and nationality. And yeah, that deserves to be pointed out as a dumb complaint.

Anyways, don't let this one thing get to you. Post some more! Maybe even work them into a story about the condom-filled streets of Gangnam, the most crazy neighborhood in the world.

DM you are a piece of work. Arghhhh, it is not worth the time to talk to you. Over and out.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2019, 10:11:03 AM »

and most PC terms.

Widely used by whom? Is it more widely used than PC as in personal computer? I find that difficult to believe.

If you're going to use words or acronyms that have ambiguous meanings, you should probably like, clarify, or add some context if you want anyone to have any idea what you're talking about.

Online JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2019, 10:15:39 AM »

and most PC terms.

Widely used by whom? Is it more widely used than PC as in personal computer? I find that difficult to believe.

If you're going to use words or acronyms that have ambiguous meanings, you should probably like, clarify, or add some context if you want anyone to have any idea what you're talking about.

I think the important thing to remember here is context, but I will say that these days I see PC used more often for "politically correct" than I do for computers.

And that could just be due to the type of media we consume every day.
The World Ends With You

• The Legend
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2019, 10:16:01 AM »

and most PC terms.

I edited my original post for you. I am quite taken aback that you have never heard that use of PC, I often see it. Anyway, I fixed it now.

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2019, 10:23:44 AM »
DM you are a piece of work. Arghhhh, it is not worth the time to talk to you. Over and out.
Sorry, I had a late night dodging the minefield of condoms in Gangnam, the craziest place on the planet!

Anyways, I sure as shit hope you remember the difference between "Person of Interest" and "Suspect" if you ever have any employees or are doing any kind of editing or journalistic work or are serving on a jury, because the thought of someone like you having such a notion and being involved in that kind of thing makes me genuinely worried.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2019, 10:27:00 AM »
Sorry, I had a late night dodging the minefield of condoms in Gangnam, the craziest place on the planet!

Anyways, I sure as shit hope you remember the difference between "Person of Interest" and "Suspect" if you ever have any employees or are doing any kind of editing or journalistic work or are serving on a jury, because the thought of someone like you having such a notion and being involved in that kind of thing makes me genuinely worried.

Should you treat anyone differently just because they're a suspect? Shouldn't you wait till they've been found guilty first?

Offline kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2019, 10:35:31 AM »

Actually, yes. It's widely used, mostly by people discussing politics, and reactions to politics.
Anyway, here's some feedback I thought I'd share while we're on the topic:
     It's nearly impossible to avoid all the special snowflakes out there who think they're PC as **** online nowadays. I understand that everybody needs their safe spaces, but sometimes all the verbal tiptoeing around sensitive topics can really inhibit clarity. It is what it is, so sometimes it's best to call a spade a spade. The last thing I want to do while browsing the net on my daily driver is to hear about certain people of interest gifting the rest of humanity with a constant stream of new terms for everything. I mean, we already have words for that already, why reinvent the wheel? Now, I get that this might be a slightly unpopular opinion, and if some find it offensive, then my bad -- I apologize, but sometimes part of adulting is going forward and dealing with unpleasant topics in a fortnite forthright way. I mean, when I deplaned in Korea for the first time, still bogged down with all my swag, and very excited about my new position of classroom leadership, I was struck by how frank people were here, how they were not at all reluctant to speak their mind, and I couldn't help but think to myself that that **** is real lit. So very refreshing.
  You'll understand someday.

*wipes sweat off brow, sits back in chair, and waits for applause*

Offline Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2019, 10:36:20 AM »
Should you treat anyone differently just because they're a suspect? Shouldn't you wait till they've been found guilty first?
If someone is a suspect, they generally have a warrant issued for their arrest.

Offline sbk

• Veteran
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2019, 10:48:28 AM »
These are not so new but.....
Tongue in cheek and Pulls no punches. I understand the context where they are used but not the origin.

Also for a newer one...... "Sup" -  short version of what's up.

Offline Ariadne

• Adventurer
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 11:02:19 AM »
Any and all 'American White Girl on Social Media'-isms:

- "OMG I can't even"
- "I'm DYING"
- "That's (as previously mentioned) LIT"
- "YAAS GURL"
- "You're a QUEEN"

...And so on and so forth.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 11:13:51 AM »
These are not so new but.....
Tongue in cheek and Pulls no punches. I understand the context where they are used but not the origin.

Also for a newer one...... "Sup" -  short version of what's up.

Newer as in... from the mid- to late 90s newer? Yikes.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »

Actually, yes. It's widely used, mostly by people discussing politics, and reactions to politics.
Anyway, here's some feedback I thought I'd share while we're on the topic:
     It's nearly impossible to avoid all the special snowflakes out there who think they're PC as **** online nowadays. I understand that everybody needs their safe spaces, but sometimes all the verbal tiptoeing around sensitive topics can really inhibit clarity. It is what it is, so sometimes it's best to call a spade a spade. The last thing I want to do while browsing the net on my daily driver is to hear about certain people of interest gifting the rest of humanity with a constant stream of new terms for everything. I mean, we already have words for that already, why reinvent the wheel? Now, I get that this might be a slightly unpopular opinion, and if some find it offensive, then my bad -- I apologize, but sometimes part of adulting is going forward and dealing with unpleasant topics in a fortnite forthright way. I mean, when I deplaned in Korea for the first time, still bogged down with all my swag, and very excited about my new position of classroom leadership, I was struck by how frank people were here, how they were not at all reluctant to speak their mind, and I couldn't help but think to myself that that **** is real lit. So very refreshing.
  You'll understand someday.

*wipes sweat off brow, sits back in chair, and waits for applause*

#based