February 17, 2019, 03:17:38 PM

Author Topic: seafood grill buffet in seoul??? ne1 know?  (Read 511 times)

Offline cashclay

• Veteran
seafood grill buffet in seoul??? ne1 know?
« on: February 11, 2019, 09:14:30 PM »
I just came back from bangkok and they have seafood buffets that you can grill yourself...  It was amazing...  I m wondering if anything like that exists in Seoul
?

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
Re: seafood grill buffet in seoul??? ne1 know?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2019, 09:57:24 PM »
Just curious but what's the advantage of having to cook your own food?

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 11:10:12 PM »
You can cook it to how you like it, cook and eat at your own pace, and the social aspect. It's great. Wish Mexican places did it with fajitas.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 07:21:51 AM »
You can cook it to how you like it, cook and eat at your own pace, and the social aspect. It's great. Wish Mexican places did it with fajitas.

Umm, you haven't convinced me. Isn't the point of a restaurant paying someone more skilled than you to do the work better than you can so you can relax and not do the work? Also cooking seafood is a pretty delicate operation to get it just right. Still, each to his own.

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2019, 07:44:47 AM »
There used to be a place called Pirate #1 in Sillim. No idea if it's still there.  Good luck!

https://seoulpatch.blogspot.com/2008/09/shellfish-in-sillim.html

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »
There used to be a place called Pirate #1 in Sillim. No idea if it's still there.  Good luck!

I don't think that's what's he after. Unless I'm mistaken he wants a buffet where you collect the raw stuff yourself, take it back to your table and grill it yourself. In that place you order stuff that a waiter cooks at your table.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2019, 07:52:06 AM »

Umm, you haven't convinced me. Isn't the point of a restaurant paying someone more skilled than you to do the work better than you can so you can relax and not do the work? Also cooking seafood is a pretty delicate operation to get it just right. Still, each to his own.
The point of going to a restaurant is a factor of several things- Eat new dishes, possibly more economical, variety, time and convenience, to have better food than you can cook yourself, and to socialize.

The person at Taco Bell is not more skilled than me, but I still crave Taco Bell. Even at more moderate levels, sometimes I could do better, but I'm there to socialize.

Grill your own places (seafood/bbq), provide a unique enjoyable atmosphere with cooking it yourselves. You can eat at your own pace, your food stays warm over the course of the meal, you can cook to your precise specifications, and there's a unique unmistakable buzz in the air that comes from the shared experience.

I could invite 4 people over to my house and set up a grill and cook our own bbq, and there's a time for that, but that requires effort. Going out you get to relax, drink, socialize, Rd.2, and so on.

And a plate of samgyupsal served with knife and fork and side of rice and vegetables? Boooooooo. Way to take something great and suck all the life out of it.

Do you suck at cooking? Most people who have some level of skill at cooking enjoy the experience. Also it's really easy.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 08:07:53 AM »
Do you suck at cooking? Most people who have some level of skill at cooking enjoy the experience. Also it's really easy.

I don't suck, but I do find it mildly stressful sometimes. 

And a plate of samgyupsal served with knife and fork and side of rice and vegetables? Boooooooo. Way to take something great and suck all the life out of it.

Yes I think you have a point there. People would actually see samgyupsal for what it is - pretty underwhelming - if you served it up like normal food. 

The person at Taco Bell is not more skilled than me, but I still crave Taco Bell

I don't think you're giving him his/her due. He/she almost certainly is more skilled than you at producing Taco Bell products, unless you've worked there before.

but that requires effort

Nail on the head. A bbq is more effort than a grill your own buffet, which is more effort than a regular restaurant.

I agree with one thing you said about the food staying warm, which is why I don't go to buffets any more.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 08:27:00 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline Mr C

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2019, 08:47:17 AM »

I don't think that's what's he after. Unless I'm mistaken he wants a buffet where you collect the raw stuff yourself, take it back to your table and grill it yourself. In that place you order stuff that a waiter cooks at your table.

<shrugs> Yeah, I don't think that exists here, so I pointed at the closest thing.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2019, 08:53:12 AM »
I don't suck, but I do find it mildly stressful sometimes. 
Dude, it's so easy it isn't stressful at all.

Yes I think you have a point there. People would actually see samgyupsal for what it is - pretty underwhelming - if you served it up like normal food. 
"Normal food"? Excuse me, but you don't get to determine what is and isn't "normal". The world does not revolve around your standards of normality.

Meat on a plate with a side of rice and cole slaw and soup? That's exactly the same as what you get everywhere else.

I don't think you're giving him his/her due. He/she almost certainly is more skilled than you at producing Taco Bell products, unless you've worked there before.
More skilled at producing Mexican food? No. And I could literally go behind the counter of a Taco Bell and do it. If you've ever worked in a restaurant on a makeline, you know how to make Taco Bell.

which is more effort than a regular restaurant.
Or it's a balance between the two, in which you don't have to deal with the cleanup and everything, but you still get some control over the cooking process.

I think your assumption that things SHOULD or MUST be this way is the problem, not the restaurant.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2019, 09:10:42 AM »
"Normal food"? Excuse me, but you don't get to determine what is and isn't "normal". The world does not revolve around your standards of normality.

I meant the way food is typically served in 90% of restaurants around the world. You sit at a table, order food and the waiter brings it on a plate to your table. Not saying that's better than any other way, just saying it's what usually happens. That's only what I meant by 'normal' sorry to have triggered you.

I think your assumption that things SHOULD or MUST be this way is the problem, not the restaurant

I think, as usual you're the only one trying to lay down the law about what people should like. I said 'each to his own' in the first post, which remains my opinion on the topic.

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2019, 09:13:43 AM »

You're doing it again.

A: This is how I feel about this particular subject. How I FEEL.

Dr. DeMartino: But you don't REALLY feel like that, surely.
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2019, 09:32:36 AM »
I meant the way food is typically served in 90% of restaurants around the world. You sit at a table, order food and the waiter brings it on a plate to your table. Not saying that's better than any other way, just saying it's what usually happens. That's only what I meant by 'normal' sorry to have triggered you.
I know I know. I'm pulling your leg a little on this one. But it is something to remember- Just because it's different to what you're used to, doesn't make it wrong or even abnormal (though I would agree in this case it's not the norm).

I just don't get why this bothers you. I could understand have a friendly go about it the way I do with say, couchsurfing and other forms of bum behavior.

Dude, everyone else has a blast around the Korean BBQ grill. Lighten up Francis.

You're doing it again.

A: This is how I feel about this particular subject. How I FEEL.

Dr. DeMartino: But you don't REALLY feel like that, surely.

No, I'm saying he shouldn't feel stressed about it not that he doesn't.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2019, 09:36:43 AM »
this poor **** just wanted a restaurant recommendation and you guys went and turned it into another gr8 deb8  :huh: to be fair, i have no idea what a seafood grill buffet is, so carry on...

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2019, 09:40:02 AM »
this poor **** just wanted a restaurant recommendation and you guys went and turned it into another gr8 deb8  :huh: to be fair, i have no idea what a seafood grill buffet is, so carry on...
Hey man, I wasn't the one who decided to pass a value judgment on the whole thing.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2019, 09:46:46 AM »
Just because it's different to what you're used to, doesn't make it wrong or even abnormal (though I would agree in this case it's not the norm).

Just because it's different to what you're used to doesn't mean you have to like it either.

I guess you say the same thing to people who don't want to sit on the floor in a restaurant as well. That they're narrow minded and closed to new experiences etc.. .

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2019, 09:57:25 AM »
Just because it's different to what you're used to, doesn't make it wrong or even abnormal (though I would agree in this case it's not the norm).

Just because it's different to what you're used to doesn't mean you have to like it either.

I guess you say the same thing to people who don't want to sit on the floor in a restaurant as well. That they're narrow minded and closed to new experiences etc.. .

If you have a reason to dislike sitting on the floor, like you're old or you have bad legs or something, that's fine. But if you just dislike it for no reason other than the fact that it's different, then you probably are pretty narrow-minded and closed to new experiences.

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 10:00:06 AM »

If you have a reason to dislike sitting on the floor, like you're old or you have bad legs or something, that's fine. But if you just dislike it for no reason other than the fact that it's different, then you probably are pretty narrow-minded and closed to new experiences.

How about not liking it because it's less comfortable than a chair. Is that acceptable?

Offline CO2

• The Legend
  • Feeling Grabby?
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 10:05:19 AM »
How about not liking it because it's less comfortable than a chair. Is that acceptable?

Yeah, I don't give a toss if people sit on the floor but I hate doing it. It's super uncomfortable for me.

Call me prejudiced, but a chair has to be more comfortable than the floor, right? Even for someone who finds the floor fine? RIGHT??? hahaha
The joys of fauxtherhood

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 10:09:38 AM »
I like going to the Korean bbq places where they come to your table and cook it for you. Way less stressful