February 17, 2019, 04:07:33 PM

Author Topic: Would you be a looser back home?  (Read 551 times)

Offline Telephone33

• Adventurer
Would you be a looser back home?
« on: February 07, 2019, 04:40:37 PM »
We have all heard the stereotype that foreign English professors and teachers are losers back home.

Is there any truth to this for you? Were you a looser back home? If you never came to Korea would you at this moment (hypothetically) probably be a looser back home?

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: Would you be a looser back home?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 05:11:52 PM »
I'd be a tighter

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 06:30:55 PM »
I'd be a tighter

Credit where credit's due, he got it right 25% of the time. 

Offline thomwiley23

• Adventurer
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 07:01:20 PM »
I assume a lot of us here because we either (a) didn't fit in well in our environment or (b) had interests outside of our environment.  Which would mean 'yes' for a lot of us?  And is it that different from the stereotypical view of cool kids having a hard time after high school, and the nerds blooming and finding success post-high school?

In my case, I'm from a tiny town in Tennessee nearby Pulaski (origin of the KKK).  I think I was definitely an off/on loser throughout elementary/middle/high school. I didn't really get it.  I think I was also a bit of a looser when I arrived too, small fish in a much bigger pond, I had a lot to learn.

If I was back home, maybe I would be a loser or struggling now?  A lot of the small southern towns are eaten up with the prescription drug epidemic. You kind of have to get out, or be amenable to a real traditional way of life.  I'd probably be caught somewhere in between.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:20:05 AM by thomwiley23 »
Co-creator of HSIP adult academy and halandstevenglish @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/halandsteveenglish

Online eggieguffer

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 07:03:54 PM »
I assume a lot of us here because we either (a) didn't fit in well in our environment or (b) had interests outside of our environment.  Which would mean 'yes' for a lot of us?  And is it that different from the stereotypical view of cool kids having a hard time after high school, and the nerds blooming and finding success post-high school?

In my case, I'm from a tiny town in Tennessee nearby Pulaski (origin of the KKK).  I think I was definitely an off/on looser throughout elementary/middle/high school. I didn't really get it.  I think I was also a bit of a loser when I arrived too, small fish in a much bigger pond, I had a lot to learn.

If I was back home, maybe I would be a looser or struggling now?  A lot of the small southern towns are eaten up with the prescription drug epidemic. You kind of have to get out, or be amenable to a real traditional way of life.  I'd probably be caught somewhere in between.

We're up to 33%   :smiley:

Offline thunderlips

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 07:21:04 PM »
Oh Iíd always chooser to be a looser. Iím also guilty of sticking my nooser where it doesnít beloong. In Maine I was a mooser looser, which made me very populooser. 

Offline Periwinkle

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 08:18:12 PM »
Oh Iíd always chooser to be a looser. Iím also guilty of sticking my nooser where it doesnít beloong. In Maine I was a mooser looser, which made me very populooser.

Sorry(not sorry)...petty of me but  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:22:18 PM by Periwinkle »

Offline mikeycknowsrnb

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 08:51:50 PM »
Having no car and being unable to eat my favorite high-calorie foods helped me shed a lot of weight. The situation is reversed in my case. Korea made me more of a looser.

Offline Foreverparadise

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 09:55:37 PM »
After spending 7 years in South Korea I will tell you this. If I was a loser, I would have not gotten this job
I have here in Canada. But since I work for a First Nations reservation school, some people would still
consider me to be a loser in my own country because I work for First Nations people, given the fact that
most Canadians still have false misconceptions about First Nations people.

People may think that I was a loser living and working in Korea, but if you have a liberated mind you
would never let fools in society bring you down and label you as a loser. They call you a loser because
they are jealous of people like us who have or had the experince to immerse ourselves into a different
culture while living and working in a different country, while at the same time having the opportunity to
travel to other places in the world.

So if society here in North America wants to call us losers, they are just proving themselves to be
lowlifes who want to pull you down to their level. Don't let them get to you. As long as I am in my
career field I love, I will always give myself the opportunity to do what I like to do.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2019, 12:12:45 AM »
Yeah I bought loosies back home as a treat for when I was getting tired of RYOs.

Offline thomwiley23

• Adventurer
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2019, 12:46:46 AM »
Is this a thread on losers bieng made light of by loosers?
I abject your honor!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 12:49:45 AM by thomwiley23 »
Co-creator of HSIP adult academy and halandstevenglish @ https://www.facebook.com/groups/halandsteveenglish

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2019, 05:33:11 AM »
Baby, even the loosers
Get lucky sometimes
Even the loosers
Keep a little bit of pride
They get lucky sometimes