February 17, 2019, 03:17:46 PM

Author Topic: Doctors appointments and prescriptions  (Read 298 times)

Offline APH

• Adventurer
Doctors appointments and prescriptions
« on: February 05, 2019, 11:21:58 PM »
Iíve been here for about 4 months now and Iíve noticed thereís been a flare up in my acne. Not sure what has caused it whether itís just from stress or the water or a new environment who knows.

I had some mild acne when I was around 17-18 which is a couple of years ago now and at the time I went to see my doctor back in the U.K. who prescribed me some antibiotics which helped a lot and within a month or 2 it had calmed down significantly and since then Iíve kept on top of it just using topical benzoyl peroxide creams.

I was wondering if itís possible to go to a doctor and get a prescription again to help with acne? For example can you get a doxycycline prescription. Where is the best place for me to go as Iíd probably need an English speaking doctor. How do I book an appointment and what are the costs like? (Iím an English teacher here so I have my E2 visa and ARC card.)

Or would a dermatologist be better? Iíve obviously heard about the wonders of Korean skin doctors but Iíve always assumed they will be super pricey. Also, being an English teacher I canít be walking in to school with any crazy red skin or scarring from acne treatments, so I need something subtle which works.

Offline gogators!

• The Legend
Re: Doctors appointments and prescriptions
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 04:10:02 AM »
If you have insurance, cost should be very affordable. Go to a dermatologist. They're all over in Korea so easy to find.

Offline APH

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 04:25:12 PM »
Iíve never been to a dermatologist before. Do they give out prescriptions? Or is it all just laser therapies and things like that?

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 05:03:51 PM »
Iíve never been to a dermatologist before. Do they give out prescriptions? Or is it all just laser therapies and things like that?
In Korea, like elsewhere, there are 2 types.

One type are medical professionals treating skin conditions.
The other might have medical degrees, but are just selling snake oil.

I think that to get the right kind of dermatologist you should see a GP and get a referral.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:55:30 PM by JNM »

Offline APH

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 01:51:11 AM »
Yeah I was looking to maybe see a GP first and then look into dermatologists if need be. As Iíd always assumed dermatologists would be more on the cosmetic side of things as opposed to prescriptions and things like that. I also imagine theyíll attempt to get me to pay for the most expensive treatments possible   :laugh:

How do I make an appointment to see a GP? Or how would I find an English speaking GP?

Online StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »
Yeah I was looking to maybe see a GP first and then look into dermatologists if need be. As Iíd always assumed dermatologists would be more on the cosmetic side of things as opposed to prescriptions and things like that. I also imagine theyíll attempt to get me to pay for the most expensive treatments possible   :laugh:

How do I make an appointment to see a GP? Or how would I find an English speaking GP?

Go to a clinic and give them your ID card. Wait up to 30 minutes to be seen. That should work for all but the most popular doctors.

Most of the doctors will speak at least a little English. Be sure to ask them what medicine they're giving you; Korean doctors have a tendency to prescribe unnecessary mystery pills.

Offline Periwinkle

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 10:51:24 AM »
Just to add my natural remedy two cents for what it's worth: In addition to seeing your doctor, green tea works wonder for acne.

Offline biancaapato

• Adventurer
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 11:05:06 AM »
You can get medicine from a dermatologist, but I don't think dermatologists are covered by insurance. Also, they can prescribe you medicine, but that's only a temporary solution. Have you tried changing your diet, adding a water filter, or changing your skincare? I would do that first before spending a lot of money at the doctor.