February 17, 2019, 04:30:01 PM

Author Topic: Kookmin Bank English speaking service?  (Read 451 times)

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
Kookmin Bank English speaking service?
« on: January 28, 2019, 01:42:47 PM »
Back at it again, I have a slight dilemma.

I need to get my bank card registered so I can make international payments. Apparently my card isn't registered and it keeps declining payments on amazon. Does anyone know of any banks in Daegu that have english customer service? My korean is not very good. It would be really helpful for me if someone can help me out here!  :cry:
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
Re: Kookmin Bank English speaking service?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 02:01:23 PM »
1599-4477 option 1 for English.  Card services 1644-9993

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 02:13:42 PM »
1599-4477 option 1 for English.  Card services 1644-9993

I called them already. They said I need to find a branch and sort it through them! Hence I need to find one that speaks English!
Slay My Life! Walk boo boo walk! Cat Walk for me boo boo! This isn't cat walking, this is a hyena walking! Lion walking! Tiger walking! Leopard walking! Enter my Queen!

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 02:18:04 PM »
Umm most branches have at least one person who speaks moderate English.  If not, jump on google translate and press the speaker button on the translation so they can hear it.  OR what I remember they used to do my first years here when my Korean was 0 was they used to call the KB Global Center and they would hand the phone to me and I explained my piece and then I handed the phone back to the banker I was sitting in front of.  If there's a will there's a way! 

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 02:24:33 PM »
Yeah, just go in and try. If not that branch, then the next one will. Most routine stuff you can get figured out even if everyone there is utterly inept at English.

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:44:00 AM »
Yeah. Also, bank cards (what I'm guessing is a check card) typically don't work overseas or for international payments. You'll likely need a credit card.

I might be wrong. But I've always had to use credit cards for stuff like that.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 10:42:29 AM »
Yeah. Also, bank cards (what I'm guessing is a check card) typically don't work overseas or for international payments. You'll likely need a credit card.

I might be wrong. But I've always had to use credit cards for stuff like that.
My original KEB debit card worked in ATMs, but not for off-shore purchases.
I have one that does both now. Itís called ďViva G CheckĒ.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 10:54:40 AM »
i cannot understand how having a card that works internationally is not the norm -- or something you even need to ask for

why is this? anyone know?

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 11:05:20 AM »
i cannot understand how having a card that works internationally is not the norm -- or something you even need to ask for

My debit card from my home country didn't work overseas, either. I feel like that's not really the standard? I might be wrong.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 11:23:19 AM »

My debit card from my home country didn't work overseas, either. I feel like that's not really the standard? I might be wrong.
It reduces fraud, since most people donít travel often.
Most countriesí banks can add it with a phone call.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 02:49:22 PM »

True. Probably a good way to prevent mysterious charges from Macedonia...

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 06:43:40 PM »

huh. really. as far as i know, this isn't the case for the uk (and all debit cards work abroad?)

seems in korea you need to apply for a whole new card though - at the actual bank - rather than just phoning them up.

god i hate the korean banking system.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »

huh. really. as far as i know, this isn't the case for the uk (and all debit cards work abroad?)

seems in korea you need to apply for a whole new card though - at the actual bank - rather than just phoning them up.

god i hate the korean banking system.
It is not just you.

I met a guy who was the head of Visa in Korea.  An Englishman, he made it his goal to make the Visa logo mean the same thing here as it does everywhere else... your card works here!

He gave up, and now lives in Japan.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 07:44:34 AM »
I just did a really quick bit of research on card gorilla, and almost every check card I saw on there was capable of overseas use. You can check it out yourself. http://card-gorilla.com/

The only thing is the 연회비 (card fee) is usually like 1000-5000 won more expensive than for domestic only cards.

It's just a box you have to check when you make a new card. I already knew this applied to all credit cards, but apparently you can use check cards abroad, too.

If you're like, brand new in your first or second year here, I could see being confused and frustrated by that.

Offline CypherSoul

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 07:46:56 AM »

:laugh: Japan seems to be the most exciting place! I'm not even surprised.

GUYS wish me good look. I am going to walk into my nearest branch today to ask for a new card in terrible Korean of course. Mind you, I live in the mountains and if this doesn't work out, I need to go on my day off as there's no other branch nearby! :laugh:  ;D

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2019, 07:50:34 AM »

:laugh: Japan seems to be the most exciting place! I'm not even surprised.

GUYS wish me good look. I am going to walk into my nearest branch today to ask for a new card in terrible Korean of course. Mind you, I live in the mountains and if this doesn't work out, I need to go on my day off as there's no other branch nearby! :laugh:  ;D

Do you have a phone?

If you have difficulty, just type this into google translate: "Hello. I would like to apply for a check card or credit card that can be used in other countries" and show them that.

Using your phone to translate might feel awkward, but it's better than nobody knowing what you want because it's too difficult to explain in Korean. Likely someone there will be able to understand you in English, too. Just don't get too flustered.

Good luck.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 08:10:00 AM »
Dude, get on your phone, call the English lines I gave you, tell them your problem, hand the phone over to a banker to relay the message.  It's that easy.  Sure you might get side eye from the banker but they will help you through that method. 

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2019, 09:34:31 AM »
Dude, get on your phone, call the English lines I gave you, tell them your problem, hand the phone over to a banker to relay the message.  It's that easy.  Sure you might get side eye from the banker but they will help you through that method.

Exactly! Even if you can't speak Korean and they can't speak English, there are seriously so many resources to get around that.