February 17, 2019, 01:08:51 AM

Author Topic: Having family in Korea bad for EPIK Interview?  (Read 782 times)

Offline Boilerbunch

• Newgookin
Having family in Korea bad for EPIK Interview?
« on: January 26, 2019, 07:04:20 AM »
I've read somewhere that if you mention having family in Korea it hurts your application and placement chances.  Can any shed some light on this?

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
Re: Having family in Korea bad for EPIK Interview?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2019, 03:01:33 PM »
I've read somewhere that if you mention having family in Korea it hurts your application and placement chances.  Can any shed some light on this?

Korean-Americans are low on the list when it comes to the employers order of hiring preference.

Korean bosses and parents want a Foreign teacher to be fully foreign. Even if you lived your whole life in the US, if your DNA is Korean you will still be viewed  as less foreign because hey, you were likely raised in Korean culture, in a Korean community, speaking Korean. Or maybe you were born in Korea and lived here for a while or whatever. Either way, you are not viewed as a full representative of western culture. To be sure that you are foreign then, a quick way is to simply select someone who is obviously 100% foreign ie caucasian.  Of course there are still many jobs and niches for gyopos around but generally speaking Korean-Americans exist on the edge of this industry, which is in fact riven with ageism, sexism and all kinds of discrimination anyway.

If you mention that you have Korean relatives and family living nearby then it totally puts you into the "vaguely Korean" (ie not foreign) camp. Even if you are an excellent teacher with excellent credentials, employers will still worry about and pander to the percieved perceptions of the parents. It also indicates that you have backup if you need support in any potential power struggles with your employer. Employers like lone vulnerable waygooks who can't speak the language, have zero family support and can't really fight back against any injustices dealt them.

So yeah. If you have Korean family nearby, I would be sure not to mention it. At least not at the interview stage.
Catch my drift?

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2019, 03:25:28 PM »
at my old school, they wanted to hire a new native teacher. they had two final candidates: one who had a masters in education and over 10 years experience teaching. the other had no relevant qualifications and very little teaching experience. one was a gyopo, one was white. needless to say the gyopo didn't get hired, and he was the applicant with all the exp and qualifications. the teachers who hired the white guy even admitted doing so purely because he was white

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2019, 03:31:44 PM »
Korean-Americans are low on the list when it comes to the employers order of hiring preference.

Some crooked hagwon owners market their Korean citizen staff as Korean American native English speakers. Gonna look suspicious after a while so best to throw a couple of white faces into the mix is their reasoning.

Online Life Improvement

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2019, 03:33:25 PM »
But... those are for profit academies. EPIK is most likely different. Still there is the fear of non native English speakers posing as native English speakers. Happens/has happened a lot I guess.

Offline orange6ur1

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »
Er i donít think it matters tbh.

The only reason why my interviewer knew is because i freely told him and that was that. Lol

Also, i donít know if EPIK has the time to purposefully pick out and put all the korean americans on the bottom. But who knows man.

Offline Boilerbunch

• Newgookin
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:14:37 PM »

Korean-Americans are low on the list when it comes to the employers order of hiring preference

This is true even for EPIK?  Sheesh

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2019, 08:52:50 AM »
That surprises me because I would have thought a Korean American (who is bilingual) would be the bees knees in a public school. 

No miscommunication with coworkers, coteacher doesn't have to take care of them etc.

Online eggieguffer

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2019, 09:13:41 AM »
That surprises me because I would have thought a Korean American (who is bilingual) would be the bees knees in a public school. 

No miscommunication with coworkers, coteacher doesn't have to take care of them etc.

True but it all fits in with the series of contradictory requirements a public school teacher has to comply with.

1) Be young and inexperienced but know how to plan and teach a perfect lesson
2) Be young and handsome/beautiful but not have any sex life to speak of
3) Be a blank slate to be filled with the wonder of Korean culture but fit in with Korean culture from the beginning
4) Look like a Westerner but behave like a Korean
5) Not have knowledge of Korean or use it in the classroom but be able to understand Korean and use it in the classroom. 
6) Not like spicy food, like a typical foreigner, but be required to eat in the school canteen every day.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:17:50 AM by eggieguffer »

Offline StillInKorea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »

True but it all fits in with the series of contradictory requirements a public school teacher has to comply with.

3) Be a blank slate to be filled with the wonder of Korean culture but fit in with Korean culture from the beginning
5) Not have knowledge of Korean or use it in the classroom but be able to understand Korean and use it in the classroom. 
6) Not like spicy food, like a typical foreigner, but be required to eat in the school canteen every day.

This made me smile.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 11:09:02 PM »

lol.

or.,,

"not know korean in class but speak it on the subway when sat in earshot of ajosshis"

Catch my drift?

Offline fishead

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 01:33:15 PM »

1) Be young and inexperienced but know how to plan and teach a perfect lesson( Whatever you do don't make the Korean teacher look bad Unless they are a contract teacher.)
2) Be young and handsome/beautiful but not have any sex life to speak of(White men don't talk to that young new teacher who looks like a K POP singer.
3) Be a blank slate to be filled with the wonder of Korean culture but fit in with Korean culture from the beginning( act ignorant about the dark side)
4) Look like a Westerner but behave like a Korean( Stay off the radar)
5) Not have knowledge of Korean or use it in the classroom but be able to understand Korean and use it in the classroom. ( Pick up a couple of classroom management Korean expressions for when your co-teacher is texting)
( Koreans invented sushi and they made it better more chewy)

ę Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:17:50 AM by eggieguffer Ľ

Offline oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2019, 01:47:50 PM »
it's quite entertaining seeing the new native teacher at the school i work at start off with tonnes of enthusiasm and now, 3 months later, questioning why everything has to be the way it is: bad management decisions, inefficiency in everything, lame staff politics, ineffective teaching methods, etc

"none of this makes any sense"

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2019, 05:46:21 PM »
I do know that pretty much the saddest thing in Korea is a Korean who doesn't speak Korean. They might get hired by EPIK but they will almost never get hired by hagwons or other employers.

Koreans who were brought up in the West and speak fluent Korean often do quite well by Korean standards. Often they end up own hagwons or getting involved in other businesses. I'm sure they're all heavily in debt like the average Korean "businessman," but they put on a good show of seeming connected and prosperous.

A good eggieguffer post? Huh.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline MintKiss

• Waygookin
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 08:01:27 AM »
OP, ignore all these other people.

No, It doesn't matter. I'm EPIK right now and I know at least 10 gyopos working with and without families here in Korea.

Just focus on putting together the best package, and smile when you do your interview and you'll be fine.