February 17, 2019, 01:46:00 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Better to apply for Gyeonggi or Seoul?  (Read 354 times)

Offline Boilerbunch

• Newgookin
Better to apply for Gyeonggi or Seoul?
« on: January 17, 2019, 03:46:56 AM »
Would it be better to apply for Gyeonggi or Seoul for EPIK?  I know the chances for Seoul are low but I'm not opposed to living in the province either.  My family is in Gyeonggi and Seoul so I'd really like to be there.  I know that placement is largely random but I was wondering where it would be a better decision to ask for in my initial application?

On another note, would it be a good idea to go direct with a recrutier to get a Gyeonggi job with some of the schools that don't hire through EPIK?  If so which recruiters should I contact?

Thanks!

Offline lhelena

• Explorer
Re: Better to apply for Gyeonggi or Seoul?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »
I wanted Seoul originally when I applied, but was advised to change it to Gyeonggi-do. I'm really glad I did because I probably wouldn't have gotten Seoul and if you choose the option to be placed somewhere else then you never know what province you will end up in. At least if you choose Gyeonggi-do your chances of being in that province are extremely high. Plus, most places in Gyoenggi-do have some kind of direct route to Seoul whether it be bus or train (bus being more likely in rural areas).

As for the recruiter question, I used Korvia to apply to EPIK. I had a pretty good experience with them. As for using a recruiter for a program other than EPIK I can't really speak to that as I haven't been in any other programs here.
Hope this helps.  :azn:

Offline Allpointseast

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 11:16:28 PM »
  Gyeonggi-do is an okay option. Bear in mind that some parts of Gyeonggi are further from Seoul than others. Interestingly Wonju in Gangwon-do is only 2 hours from Central City Bus Terminal in Seoul. I know, because I took that journey. Cheongju in Chungcheongbuk-do is a similar distance, as are the outer parts of Gyeongi-do.
  EPIK may accept you and you might get a job in Gyeonggi-do which is close to Seoul. On the other hand, if EPIK rejects you it might be for reasons that have no connection to teaching ability. You will then be able to consider hagwons in these areas.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 01:05:41 PM »
Does the new Gyeonggi EPIK pay the same and have the same work conditions as the rest of EPIK?  I know SMOE pays much less, no renewal allowance, and other bs.