February 17, 2019, 01:14:33 AM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: 2nd Grade Students in Winter Camp  (Read 216 times)

Offline lhelena

• Explorer
2nd Grade Students in Winter Camp
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:02:32 AM »
I think this counts as contract related. Specifically the EPIK Contract as well as the law regarding what ages we are allowed to teach now.
So, I know that teaching 1st and 2nd grade elementary students is illegal for NETs in Korea. However, I was given my attendance roster for winter camp which starts in a couple weeks and I have 4 students added to it (in pencil) that are still technically 2nd graders I guess until the new school year starts in March. All of the other students also have their grade level on the roster as what they were this school year. (i.e students that were 3rd graders starting March 2018 are still listed as 3rd graders rather than 4th).
What I want to know is if I just go along with it and allow these students to participate in my camp, could I get in trouble if someone finds out and reports the school? Should I say something to my school about it? Should I run it by an EPIK coordinator? I'm seriously worried about it.
The fact that their names are written in pencil makes me extra suspicious. I'm also positive that at least 2 of the 4 are children of school staff which makes me a little angry because that makes it seem like they're making an exception for staff so they don't have to pay for daycare or something.
Any helpful input or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Offline Renma

• Adventurer
Re: 2nd Grade Students in Winter Camp
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2019, 09:40:09 AM »
I'm also positive that at least 2 of the 4 are children of school staff which makes me a little angry because that makes it seem like they're making an exception for staff so they don't have to pay for daycare or something.

These camps are essentially free daycare.

This has been done to me before. Generally, noone is going to care or kick up a fuss enough to report the school or get you into hot water over it. Don't stress over that point. Even if somebody did, the school would get a slap on the wrist, not you.
If you are unhappy with teaching them you can contend it, as it is against the rules. It's up to you if that's worth doing or not.

Offline lhelena

• Explorer
Re: 2nd Grade Students in Winter Camp
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2019, 10:00:19 AM »
I'm mainly worried about the legality of it, not the kids themselves. If its really not that big of a deal I guess I'll just go with the flow then. Thanks  :azn: