January 22, 2019, 08:04:43 PM

Author Topic: The quality of Korean-made products  (Read 1526 times)

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
Re: The quality of Korean-made products
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »
I'm happy with my Cukoo rice cooker. Bought it in 2014, though, and still going strong. Also, quite satisfied with my 2 Samsung laptops over the last 10 years. Yes, they were kind of pricey, in that 1.3 to 1.5 million range. But had absolutely no problems with it. And my mini Samsung LCD TV, purchased in 2013, it's on like everyday at least 6 hours a day, and virtually 24 hours on weekends.

I remember my friends bought a huge big screen LCD Chinese brand TV for like $200 bucks. Stopped working just after a year. Then he was considering buying another cheap Chinese brand TV. I told him to buy a brand name, Samsung, LG, or one of the Japanese brands, even if it costs like 2 million won. It will probably last at least 10-ish years, if it goes bad way before, you got pretty good Korean AS. And AS here is often free, and often a morning call will get a guy in your home working on the problem at it at like 5pm.

Offline tylerthegloob

• Super Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 07:17:28 AM »
I bought a Hansung (not Samsung) monitor and it's been working great for the past ~10 months or so. 144hz, curved, and with freesync! did it have a dead pixel at one point? yes. was it easily fixable? also yes. i think it'd be hard to find a well known monitor brand selling a 144hz monitor with freesync for the same price.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 07:50:13 AM »
Back in the 70s and 80s, it was common for American guitar companies to have their affordable model lines made in Japan. As the Japanese economy grew and it became more expensive to operate there, they moved on to Korea. Korea's been one of the major producers of guitars for about 20-25 years now, and they've developed a reputation for making outstanding instruments at a reasonable price point. It isn't uncommon to see guitarists arguing about why anyone would buy an American-made guitar at American-made prices when they could get a Korean-made guitar that's nearly or just as good for half the price.

Perhaps unfortunately, as the cost of manufacturing in Korea has gone up, guitar companies have begun looking elsewhere to have their affordable models made. The manufacturer du jour is Indonesia, and of course China has long been the go-to option for the absolute cheapest stuff. What will be interesting to see is if Korea will be able to capitalize on the reputation they've built as a source of quality guitars in the same way that Japan has. After US manufacturers moved on from Japan, there were a handful of increasingly well-known Japanese brands that just built and marketed their own guitars, rather than relying on ghost building for better known American brands. Some of those brands are still considered to be at the top of the business today.

Korea, on the other hand, doesn't really have any brands making quality instruments that are particularly well known outside of Korea. I think Cort might be the only Korean brand a non-Korean is likely to know, but they're mostly known for making entry to mid-level guitars, not really higher-end stuff. There are definitely some nicer guitars made in Korea these days that are approaching the $2k USD range, but they're nearly all made for US or European brands, so even though most guitarists do know that they're actually made in Korea, the prestige is still associated with a non-Korean brand. There's one small Korean boutique builder making high-end stuff that's slooooooowly making inroads into western markets but it remains to be seen how far they'll go.

Wow, that ended up being much longer than I intended to when I started it out.

TL;DR: Korean-made guitars have a well-earned earned reputation for quality.

Offline zola

• The Legend
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
Samick is Korean founded. My first ever guitar in about 1994 was a Samick. Didn't know it was a Korean company until last year.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

Offline alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 08:33:08 AM »
Weren't Chapman guitars made in Korea originally?  I remember them being spoken of very highly online.

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 08:36:29 AM »
Samick is Korean founded. My first ever guitar in about 1994 was a Samick. Didn't know it was a Korean company until last year.

Yeah, Samick and Cort are the two big Korean brands, and they're both similarly known for making entry to mid level stuff. Good if it's the best you can afford, but nothing to write home about. The nicer Korean-made stuff tends to be the stuff they make/made for brands like ESP/LTD (itself a Japanese brand), Schecter (US), or Strandberg (Sweden).

Weren't Chapman guitars made in Korea originally?  I remember them being spoken of very highly online.

Yeah. He did a vlog or two that featured walkthroughs of the factory, even. I think he's move on to Indonesia now, at least partially, presumably for cost reasons. They've also got a high-end UK-made line now that I have a hard time believing will ever take off, but what do I know. Maybe there are more people out there than I'd expect who are chomping at the bit to pay $3k for a Chapman.

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 10:01:00 AM »

Yeah, Samick and Cort are the two big Korean brands, and they're both similarly known for making entry to mid level stuff. Good if it's the best you can afford, but nothing to write home about. The nicer Korean-made stuff tends to be the stuff they make/made for brands like ESP/LTD (itself a Japanese brand), Schecter (US), or Strandberg (Sweden).

Yeah. He did a vlog or two that featured walkthroughs of the factory, even. I think he's move on to Indonesia now, at least partially, presumably for cost reasons. They've also got a high-end UK-made line now that I have a hard time believing will ever take off, but what do I know. Maybe there are more people out there than I'd expect who are chomping at the bit to pay $3k for a Chapman.

Had a Cort Action active pickup bass, years back. I was seriously impressed with what I got for such a low amount of money, really decent instrument. One of my first and favourite guitars was a Cort KX5 Katana, really great entry level guitar with awesome pickups. However, I believe both of these instruments were made in Indonesia.

There's a big difference between products from Korean companies and products which are made in Korea.

Bad quality - Adidas or Nike apparel that's made in Korea.
Absolute worst - Korean toiletries

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 10:11:12 AM »

Had a Cort Action active pickup bass, years back. I was seriously impressed with what I got for such a low amount of money, really decent instrument. One of my first and favourite guitars was a Cort KX5 Katana, really great entry level guitar with awesome pickups. However, I believe both of these instruments were made in Indonesia.

Yeah, even the Korean brands are moving production to Indonesia (or China, or even Vietnam) because of the rising costs of doing business here. Eventually Korean-made guitars are going to price themselves out of the "affordable" guitar market, and the way I see it, that'll be for all intents and purposes the end of Korean-made guitars, unless some Korean brand manages to market itself into the position of being the Korean equivalent of ESP or Ibanez.

Those Japanese brands survived the exodus of manufacturing from Japan into Korea because they had built a name for themselves internationally, and because they were able to do that, there are now dozens of smaller builders carving out a niche for themselves in the Japanese domestic market. Of course, Ibanez and ESP had the help of getting some serious star power on their artist rosters (Vai and Satch for Ibanez, Metallica for ESP).

Perhaps a brand like Cort needs to try to reel in some big-name talent and start cultivating an image of quality instruments full-stop, rather than just quality instruments with the "for the money" caveat. After all, Ibanez started out making affordable Gibson clones, and ESP started out making replacement parts. Gotta start somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:13:22 AM by Mister Tim »

Online jamienottingham

• Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 08:56:05 PM »

Bad quality - Adidas or Nike apparel that's made in Korea.

Yes... the made in Korea Adidas stuff looks worse than some fake Adidos I've seen.
The three stripes are just one piece of fabric sewn on the sleeve.

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 07:56:26 PM »
I complain a lot to my wife about how crazy it is buying Samsung and LG stuff here for more expensive than in America.  It never makes sense to me and it will always be a long standing gripe i'll have.

A few months ago my wife was watching one of the morning talk shows and Koreans were complaining about it.  The expert's response was that Korean Samsung and LG products come baked in with more features than the same models you see in America and Canada.  I burst out laughing.  It was one of the worst excuses I've ever heard and she said a few of the Korean panelists didn't buy it.  I could see if it was something like a car, but not a TV.   Such a BS answer. 

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 08:16:25 PM »
I complain a lot to my wife about how crazy it is buying Samsung and LG stuff here for more expensive than in America.  It never makes sense to me and it will always be a long standing gripe i'll have.

A few months ago my wife was watching one of the morning talk shows and Koreans were complaining about it.  The expert's response was that Korean Samsung and LG products come baked in with more features than the same models you see in America and Canada.  I burst out laughing.  It was one of the worst excuses I've ever heard and she said a few of the Korean panelists didn't buy it.  I could see if it was something like a car, but not a TV.   Such a BS answer.

The biggest "feature" as others have posted, is the "after service".

Talk to a Korean about Apple's warranty experience. They think it is horrible, but this is one of the best American tech companies with respect to warranty. Making an appointment, being without your device for hours/days/weeks.

Koreans expect much more than that, for free*, and forever.

(*ok, not really free, but it is included in the price.)

Online Aristocrat

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 09:42:58 PM »

Talk to a Korean about Apple's warranty experience. They think it is horrible, but this is one of the best American tech companies with respect to warranty. Making an appointment, being without your device for hours/days/weeks.

Well, the genius thing is that I'm sure many Korean companies understand that the "after service" only needs to last so long as the consumer culture which is marketed and practiced is to always own the latest gadget. How often are you going to rely on "after service" when you replace you TV and car as frequently as your socks?

Furthermore, while I can't find the source, I remember reading that many Samsung electronics produced domestically where found to be a bit lighter than the exact same model sold in the states. Apparently, corners were cut during production to maximize profits.

It's also worth remembering that with decades of market protectivsm and chaebol companies like Samsung owning nearly everything in Korea, it faces far less challenges and resistance providing extra service and accessibility. 

Online pkjh

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 10:29:35 PM »
Well, the genius thing is that I'm sure many Korean companies understand that the "after service" only needs to last so long as the consumer culture which is marketed and practiced is to always own the latest gadget. How often are you going to rely on "after service" when you replace you TV and car as frequently as your socks?
Have ever used the after service? Have used it a handful of times, it's pretty good in Korea.

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2019, 12:59:37 AM »
Yes... the made in Korea Adidas stuff looks worse than some fake Adidos I've seen.

Actually they're glued on. You can peel them off.

The expert's response was that Korean Samsung and LG products come baked in with more features than the same models you see in America and Canada.  I burst out laughing. 

They typically add in multiple useless/poorly designed features that you do not ask for and never use.

I mean who needs a mechanical shoelace cog to tighten your shoelaces? its absurd.
Catch my drift?

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2019, 08:55:18 AM »
Have ever used the after service? Have used it a handful of times, it's pretty good in Korea.

Yes, it's good and incredibly fast most of the time. The cost can vary but usually acceptable. But these are not because the manufacturers are trying to be nice or anything. They can keep the cost and service time low due to the insanely high population density. One service guy can visit dozens of places in the same area/day.
Same goes for roadside assistance services from the car insurance companies. The cable guy or the gas guy riding a motorcycle and fixing or setting up things they need to, within a few hours. Also, the fast and cheap parcels, fast and cheap internet etc. All due to the fact that the country is small and the population density is through the roof.
That, and the 빨리- 빨리 culture keeps the companies on their toes to fix everything in the shortest time possible. Otherwise, they would lose customers and go out of business.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 09:21:06 AM by Lazio »

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 08:58:18 AM »
it is pretty good, yeah. i think you're mistaken if you think people regularly upgrade their TVs, rice cookers, and other appliances. phones (and cars?) seem to be the only thing people upgrade often

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 09:22:20 AM »

Oh, I've definitely come to love A/S and many times I won't buy something unless the salesperson mentions it and tells us the closest one.  It's a reason I pick Korean brand products over American with no Korean backing.  I could see it being a little bit more expensive because of the benefit of high quality A/S, but we aren't talking a little bit on these things.  They are, in many cases, grossly overpriced compared to the American counterpart.

But your point still stands.  Cannot ignore the value of top notch A/S.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 09:36:07 AM »

The expert's response was that Korean Samsung and LG products come baked in with more features than the same models you see in America and Canada.  I burst out laughing. 

They typically add in multiple useless/poorly designed features that you do not ask for and never use.

I mean who needs a mechanical shoelace cog to tighten your shoelaces? its absurd.

Hey, you're back. How's the heat for you these days? I can sell you fan with a box in the back you open to throw in charcoal. W500k. Better than one of those crappy rip off Korean electric heaters. 

Offline leaponover

• Super Waygook
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »

I doubt that what this guy on the talkshow mentioned is even realistic.  He probably means normal things like Korean menus and maybe some Korean specific apps on smart TVs.  Absolutely nothing that justifies a sometimes 500,000 won difference, lol.  I doubt they are doing things like upping the refresh rate or adding HDMI ports to similar models.  I'm just glad most of the Koreans there shook their head at the guy.  They know something is fishy, but in the end they will just look away as they say Chaebol.