January 21, 2019, 10:44:30 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: The quality of Korean-made products  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Cyanea

• Expert Waygook
The quality of Korean-made products
« on: January 06, 2019, 11:09:12 PM »
Korean-made appliances are overpriced, poorly designed, and do not last.

Lets see.. my fan stopped working for some mysterious reason, so I replaced it with a portable cooler machine costing W500,000.

This machine has the most bizarre design that requires loading the back with ice to produce cool air. But then again the wind it produces is barely a breeze. Of course I had to get it for the summer because, predictably, the apartment air conditioner does not work.

So then my humidifer shorted itself out when water got on the base. Yes, the wires were exposed on the base. Impractical for an appliance that is repeatedly filled with water on a daily basis. I replaced it with a new one, which has terminated itself after 3 months. reason? The cap broke.

Its almost as if these things are designed to break after a certain time. But then again it is near impossible to buy superior imported alternatives. If you do, of course.. they tax you into oblivion.

Catch my drift?

Offline JVPrice

• Expert Waygook
Re: The quality of Korean-made products
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 07:35:49 AM »
Just the fact that the cheapest notebook laptops here start in the Millions of won bugs the crap out of me. A close friend bought one and it started having issues days after she started using it.

I can't speak to other products though.
The World Ends With You

Online Mister Tim

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 07:43:59 AM »
Just the fact that the cheapest notebook laptops here start in the Millions of won bugs the crap out of me. A close friend bought one and it started having issues days after she started using it.

Yeah, last semester I had sudden and catastrophic problems with the notebook I use at work, so I figured I'd go look for an affordable replacement to use while addressing the issues with my primary notebook. I was pretty shocked by the prices I was seeing in shops around town for anything that was even remotely usable. I contacted English PC Sales to get things sorted, and if that sounds like a plug, it's because it kindof is, haha. Great guy, great business.

Regarding the OP's problems: That's unfortunate, I suppose. I've been using the same fan for six years and the same humidifier for five, both Korean. I did have to replace my electric kettle recently, but those are like $25, so I don't expect them to last forever. It served me well for five years.  :laugh:

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 07:49:00 AM »

Lets see.. my fan stopped working for some mysterious reason, so I replaced it with a portable cooler machine costing W500,000.

This machine has the most bizarre design that requires loading the back with ice to produce cool air. But then again the wind it produces is barely a breeze. Of course I had to get it for the summer because, predictably, the apartment air conditioner does not work.

So then my humidifer shorted itself out when water got on the base. Yes, the wires were exposed on the base. Impractical for an appliance that is repeatedly filled with water on a daily basis. I replaced it with a new one, which has terminated itself after 3 months. reason? The cap broke.

Its almost as if these things are designed to break after a certain time. But then again it is near impossible to buy superior imported alternatives. If you do, of course.. they tax you into oblivion.

Let me see if I follow: your apartment's aircon didn't work. And your fan broke. So, instead of buying a new fan, or a new aircon unit, you bought a 500,000 won machine that cools by putting ice in the back and blowing air and you were surprised when it didn't work? Did you not do any research at all before making a big purchase like that? Also why not just buy an aircon? You can get a basic model brand new, and installed, for almost the same price.

Also, why would you buy a humidifier, a machine that literally requires water being added to it often, with exposed wires on the base? That's a terrible idea.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 07:54:09 AM »

So rather than getting your A/C repaired...or spending 300k on a brand new LG one or be taxed into oblivion and pay 320k for a Carrier brand one...you spent 500k on a glorified Ghetto/Hillbilly A/C? The kind you can find on GMarket for 100k?

I think at this point I have to concluflde that Cyanea is a parody account.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 07:56:15 AM »
Damn basedcowboy...you beat me to it...

Unreal level of shopping ineptitude and purchasing choices. But then again this is someone who was defeated by the mighty home improvement challenge of wall hooks and a bathroom mirror.

Offline confusedsafferinkorea

• The Legend
  • The only thing that is constant in life, is change
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 08:13:02 AM »
I guess it depends on the brand. If you buy a well-known brand it is probably okay. LG makes some pretty decent stuff. I don't think they are particularly cheap though.  I bought some stuff while I was there and all were okay except iPTime routers, they were just terrible. I also bought my wife a Samsung netbook, that too was horrible and I regret it to this day.

One product I bought that was particularly good was a Hurom juicer, top class and also their rice cooker, Cuckoo is great.

I have heard that cars are not the best and some of my Korean friends say that some rich Koreans rather buy their Korean cars in the US and import them because they are better quality than the ones produced locally. Not sure if that is true but that is what they say.

Everything is not as it seems.

No one owes you anything.... get over it.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 08:50:34 AM »
I have heard that cars are not the best and some of my Korean friends say that some rich Koreans rather buy their Korean cars in the US and import them because they are better quality than the ones produced locally. Not sure if that is true but that is what they say.
Yeah, different requirements and laws mean that the ones in the U.S. have thicker body panels and are covered under a different warranty. I think also they're covered under the 10 year/100k warranty that Hyundai USA offers.

It all depends on the specific market and how the company can generate profits. Every car company does this in all sorts of weird ways. Off the top of my head, if I recall, Buick is defunct in the USA but still going in China because of local affinity for the badge as just one example of the weird trends in cars. Maintenance and parts sales are also a big part of the equation and vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and within manufacturers as well.

I'm not sure, but part of this may be US vs. Asian/European perceptions owing to the difference in metric vs. Imperial measurements. For Asia and Europe (to my understanding, though this may vary by country) 100,000km is considered "old". However, in the U.S., this is 100,000 miles. Thus, American cars have to be built for greater durability and reliability. When I bought my first care here, people were shocked that I was considering a model with 100k km on it. To my that was only a little over 60,000 miles. By Ford Truck standards, that's practically just getting broken in. I think also, that given the American penchant (and availability) for home car repair, that this also affects the maintenance and parts model (though I'm just speculating on this one). Then again, for many American customers you're getting a lot of highway miles. Korea? Brutal driving conditions for a car.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 09:00:12 AM »
i don't think korean products are necessarily bad, they are usually just way overpriced. it seems that "after service" is built into the price of many electronics. we bought a daewoo tv and it broke after about 1.5 years. in england, you'd have to send it to a factory and you'd get it back a month later or something. here, a bloke will come to your house and fix it on the spot - usually within a couple of days. pretty good

i read a story here or somewhere else about a guy who had a rice cooker that was 10 years old or there abouts. it broke, so he was going to buy a new one, but his wife said they could just call the after service guys, and they came and fixed it for free - on a 10 year old rice cooker.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 09:19:16 AM »
I guess it depends on the brand. If you buy a well-known brand it is probably okay. LG makes some pretty decent stuff. I don't think they are particularly cheap though.  I bought some stuff while I was there and all were okay except iPTime routers, they were just terrible. I also bought my wife a Samsung netbook, that too was horrible and I regret it to this day.

One product I bought that was particularly good was a Hurom juicer, top class and also their rice cooker, Cuckoo is great.

Now Cuckoo is piece of crap in my experience. Got a rice cooker as a wedding gift. It wasn't a cheap one. It stopped working after 3 years or so. Called the service and the guy came and fixed it. There is a hair thin cable that connects the lid to the body of the cooker. As you open it hundreds of times, it would eventually snap. Cuckoo knows about this problem and they should just simply use a thicker wire. But no, they don't want to do that. Wife checked it online and lots of people complained about the same issue. So it was fixed but it wasn't free. Another one and a half year later the same thing happened. Got it fixed again and guess what? It lasted for another year and a half. That's when we decided to toss it in the trash where it belongs. Switched to a stove top rice cooker. The one that is basically a pressure cooker. Very happy with it.
Also, I work in a building next to a Cuckoo store. It is always full of people. But not because they buy something but bringing back their broken cookers for service.

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2019, 09:22:26 AM »
cuckoo is shit, yeah. the blender i bought broke within 1 month. got a replacement, then the plastic container bit broke. so, i went to the store to order a new one. took a month, and they ended up ordering the wrong one. then they made me pay for it too (again, it was only a few weeks old!)

• The Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2019, 09:24:25 AM »

Now Cuckoo is piece of crap in my experience. Got a rice cooker as a wedding gift. It wasn't a cheap one. It stopped working after 3 years or so. Called the service and the guy came and fixed it. There is a hair thin cable that connects the lid to the body of the cooker. As you open it hundreds of times, it would eventually snap. Cuckoo knows about this problem and they should just simply use a thicker wire. But no, they don't want to do that. Wife checked it online and lots of people complained about the same issue. So it was fixed but it wasn't free. Another one and a half year later the same thing happened. Got it fixed again and guess what? It lasted for another year and a half. That's when we decided to toss it in the trash where it belongs. Switched to a stove top rice cooker. The one that is basically a pressure cooker. Very happy with it.
Also, I work in a building next to a Cuckoo store. It is always full of people. But not because they buy something but bringing back their broken cookers for service.

Well perhaps the newer ones are bad but I bought mine in 2011 and it is still going strong, just replaced the seal once. Mine works overtime, my wife is a Filipino and they eat rice all day long so ours really works a lot.

NEVER think a failure is the end of the world, it is the beginning of a new opportunity.

Online JNM

• The Legend
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2019, 10:22:38 AM »
I have no complaints about Korean made goods, except for the "cheapest available option", which is usually much lower quality than would be sold in Canada.

Once you get off the bottom of the market, things are usually very well-built.

I think that high quality is even more apparent in Korean made low-cost items (nail clippers, can openers, kitchen knives, hand tools, etc.) compared to the imports we get in Canada from China and Vietnam.

Online Lazio

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2019, 11:11:45 AM »

Well perhaps the newer ones are bad but I bought mine in 2011 and it is still going strong, just replaced the seal once. Mine works overtime, my wife is a Filipino and they eat rice all day long so ours really works a lot.

Ours was from 2009 or 2010.

• The Legend
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »

Ours was from 2009 or 2010.

Maybe it was a Friday model.   :laugh: :laugh:

Online CO2

• The Legend
  • Dharma Initiative
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2019, 02:24:25 PM »
you bought a 500,000 won machine that cools by putting ice in the back and blowing air

Yeah, that is the most idiotic thing I've ever read. Just make some ice and buy a 20 000 won fan and blow it across the bwol if ice? Why on earth would you put preformed ice into the back of a 500 000W machine???????
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky
With one hand waving free

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2019, 02:59:31 PM »
you bought a 500,000 won machine that cools by putting ice in the back and blowing air

Yeah, that is the most idiotic thing I've ever read. Just make some ice and buy a 20 000 won fan and blow it across the bwol if ice? Why on earth would you put preformed ice into the back of a 500 000W machine???????
Seriously, it makes me wonder if this isn't some sort of troll job by Cyanea. The level of craptastic decision making required to pay 500k for that is remarkable.

You could get your tank fixed for 120k? No? Okay, you could get a brand new K2 Black Panther for 300k. No? Okay M1-A1 at 320k. No? What's that? You're going to pay 500k for a Toyata Tacoma with a shotgun duct-taped to the hood???

Edit- If I had to guess, I think Cyanea wandered into some appliance store and paid 300% markup on something he thought was a portable A/C, but instead was a glorified hillbilly cooler and rather than blame his own lack of skill, he's blaming Korean products.

If you want to know why "the foreigner price" exists and Korean stores jack up prices, I think we know what kind of shopper to blame...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 03:07:14 PM by Mr.DeMartino »

Online Savant

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2019, 03:38:28 PM »

Seriously, it makes me wonder if this isn't some sort of troll job by Cyanea. The level of craptastic decision making required to pay 500k for that is remarkable.

You could get your tank fixed for 120k? No? Okay, you could get a brand new K2 Black Panther for 300k. No? Okay M1-A1 at 320k. No? What's that? You're going to pay 500k for a Toyata Tacoma with a shotgun duct-taped to the hood???

Edit- If I had to guess, I think Cyanea wandered into some appliance store and paid 300% markup on something he thought was a portable A/C, but instead was a glorified hillbilly cooler and rather than blame his own lack of skill, he's blaming Korean products.

If you want to know why "the foreigner price" exists and Korean stores jack up prices, I think we know what kind of shopper to blame...

Yes, Cyanea could have researched that product better but your last point it mute.

You don't get lots of Americans posting online: "I just bought and imported a Samsung 60" QLED TV from Korea."

Why is that?

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2019, 07:10:27 PM »
Korean stuff made for the Korean market is crap and overpriced. Ask any Korean, they aren't happy about the fact that Samsung/Hyundai/Kia/LG stuff sold in other countries is cheaper and higher quality. If this wasn't the case then there wouldn't be a growing industry of reshippers who mail stuff to Korea from the US.

Trying to justify Korean stuff being garbage is pretty bold Koreaboo stockholm syndrome behavior. Most Koreans wouldn't do this.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Online Mr.DeMartino

• Waygook Lord
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2019, 12:55:09 AM »
You don't get lots of Americans posting online: "I just bought and imported a Samsung 60" QLED TV from Korea."

Why is that?
Language barrier? Lack of marketing awareness?

Back in high school, I had one of my friends back a portable CD player from Korea (Japanese brand) because American ones were more expensive and about as thick as a stack of pancakes. Later did the same with a portable mp3 player (iRiver).

Korean stuff made for the Korean market is crap and overpriced. Ask any Korean, they aren't happy about the fact that Samsung/Hyundai/Kia/LG stuff sold in other countries is cheaper and higher quality. If this wasn't the case then there wouldn't be a growing industry of reshippers who mail stuff to Korea from the US.
Depends on the product and brand (in some cases it owes more to the fact that economy of scale in the 21st century overcomes shipping cost), but yeah, Hyundai is notorious for this, reasons partly given. Some is deliberately designed with lower quality in mind and I assume others are the "rejects" from the factory with manufacturers assuming that the domestic market is beholden to them.

When Korea reunifies, Hyundai and Kia are going to be in for a rude shock on the level of the Big Three and the Japanese import wave. Koreans will just hop over to China and buy some Chinese car, pay a simple import duty, and drive home that day.