March 27, 2019, 06:19:49 AM

Author Topic: Applying to EPIK & Korvia?  (Read 811 times)

Offline passionatespirit

• Newgookin
Applying to EPIK & Korvia?
« on: January 06, 2019, 08:03:39 AM »
EDIT: PLEASE READ BOTTOM OF POST BEFORE REPLYING!

Is it wise to apply directly through EPIK & apply to Korvia at the SAME time for different programs? Would they find out? Would they both reject me? Let me explain.

I am in my senior year working towards a bachelors degree in English Education & I currently hold a TESOL certificate. My plans are to apply directly through EPIK in mid-February for Fall 2019. I already have some of my documents prepared: the letter of expected graduation, letters of recommendation, photo, written personal paragraphs, and created lessons plan. I am not able to prepare the others quite yet due to my university status. I am seeing that EPIK rejects a lot of candidates so I am a little nervous as I have put a lot of time and effort into this. Teaching in Korea is and has been my MAIN goal for many years now.

If EPIK rejects me, can Korvia work on placing me elsewhere at the same time? I know that Korvia works with EPIK, but I wouldn’t necessarily be applying to EPIK through them...just other programs. Would EPIK be more likely to reject me as I am still a student?

I have seen other teachers choose to join Hagwons if they are rejected. Am I even choosing the right program? I don't have any full-time teaching experience, but what I do have comes from my TESOL certificate, my education teaching practicum, and my volunteering.

EDIT: Thank you for your well-thought-out responses and for sharing your stories; however, I think there has been a miscommunication - probably on my end. I DO NOT want to go through a recruiter for EPIK this first time around as I have at least a year of research on how to apply to EPIK directly under my belt and I am far from the person who needs their hand held. BUT BUT BUT! My question was that if I to apply to Korvia for programs other than EPIK while I apply to EPIK directly, would this be a problem on either side? I am super worried that EPIK will reject me so I want a back up plan to be able to leave with a job in hand by AUG no matter what. I am choosing not to go through Korvia for EPIK at this time as I have said as I have a done a lot of work and I have heard that they go faster if you apply through them directly. I have already started working on planning out how I will go about getting my background check and copy of my diploma and how to get them apostilled.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 04:17:59 AM by passionatespirit »

Offline AnnyeongAnnie

• Waygookin
Re: Applying to EPIK & Korvia?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 12:34:22 PM »
Hello there! I applied through Korvia for EPIK and I really liked working with them. I think having a recruiter helped me out a lot because I didn't have to worry about communicating with EPIK directly, and they helped to smooth the application process so that it was easier to understand and follow.

However, I will add that my first recruiter (my recruiters changed mid-application process) didn't really give me much feedback on my application documents because I was so well-prepared for the application. My second recruiter was really only around for the placement and final documents phase, with my visa, ticket booking, and all of that close-to-departure stuff.

EPIK is a program with very mixed reviews. Some people love the system, but a lot more seem to despise its finer points. As a current EPIK teacher, I think the program is good for me, someone with no prior teaching experience.

So here is my advice: If you want to apply to EPIK and you have done your research and you know what to expect throughout the process, apply direct. News from EPIK about your interview/placement/everything else will come a lot faster if you've applied directly through them since it won't have to first be sent to a recruiter. If you're not the most prepared for the application process, then perhaps applying to EPIK with Korvia (or another recruiter, but I know Korvia) will be easier for you. It is nice to have someone to calm you down during those stressful months of waiting for placement.

It does sound like you're thinking about applying through Korvia for non-EPIK. In that case, what else would you be considering? Hagwons? Programs in other countries? It isn't necessarily a bad thing to apply to both. But once EPIK gives you a placement, should you make it that far, they don't like to be kept waiting too long before you give a response. I would definitely make it clear to both parties that you are also considering other options.

As far as your graduate status: Will you have graduated by the time you would start your contract in August/September 2019? If so, then it shouldn't be a problem. I know many people who graduated in May and started teaching here in Korea in August. Just make sure you have the time to get your degree apostilled. That's the rough spot with that.

I know this is a lot, but I wanted to try my best to give you my experience working with both Korvia and EPIK. If you have any other questions, or if I didn't answer exactly what you wanted to know, please don't hesitate to ask me.

Offline AMDC

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:39:07 PM »
Recruiter might be a smarter option. They can tell you how many openings are where, the likelihood of success in regards to what position/which location you want, and can offer suggestions as needed. So they'll help you go where you want to go, rather than EPIK feeding its own interests.

I used Korean Horizons as my recruiter - very responsive, friendly, and immensely helpful, made the process easy.

Offline tbart215

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:55:19 PM »
i say get a recruiter. I liked having a middle man who was able to answer my questions. I also used Korean Horizons and was beyond happy with my experience. Before that, I reached out to Korvia and they sent me some generic "rejection letter". Korean Horizons helps a lot especially with the interview prep. I was overprepared. Plus the perks they offer once you arrive in Korea are nice.

I know some people who applied straight through EPIK and got in but I prefer the recruiter route.

I have a BS in TV Production, no teaching experience (experience with kids but not in a teaching capacity), no prior knowledge of Korean culture and an online TEFL cert yet i was accepted.I think even without experience, if you show your passion for working with kids and willingness to learn about the culture, you should be fine. I actually had a pretty great interview.

I would personally never work for a hagwon but if you need a back up plan, then go for it. Apply to EPIK and apply to other recruiters who deal with private schools as well.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 01:04:35 PM by tbart215 »

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 01:04:41 PM »
Hello there! I applied through Korvia for EPIK and I really liked working with them. I think having a recruiter helped me out a lot because I didn't have to worry about communicating with EPIK directly, and they helped to smooth the application process so that it was easier to understand and follow.

However, I will add that my first recruiter (my recruiters changed mid-application process) didn't really give me much feedback on my application documents because I was so well-prepared for the application. My second recruiter was really only around for the placement and final documents phase, with my visa, ticket booking, and all of that close-to-departure stuff.

EPIK is a program with very mixed reviews. Some people love the system, but a lot more seem to despise its finer points. As a current EPIK teacher, I think the program is good for me, someone with no prior teaching experience.

So here is my advice: If you want to apply to EPIK and you have done your research and you know what to expect throughout the process, apply direct. News from EPIK about your interview/placement/everything else will come a lot faster if you've applied directly through them since it won't have to first be sent to a recruiter. If you're not the most prepared for the application process, then perhaps applying to EPIK with Korvia (or another recruiter, but I know Korvia) will be easier for you. It is nice to have someone to calm you down during those stressful months of waiting for placement.

It does sound like you're thinking about applying through Korvia for non-EPIK. In that case, what else would you be considering? Hagwons? Programs in other countries? It isn't necessarily a bad thing to apply to both. But once EPIK gives you a placement, should you make it that far, they don't like to be kept waiting too long before you give a response. I would definitely make it clear to both parties that you are also considering other options.

As far as your graduate status: Will you have graduated by the time you would start your contract in August/September 2019? If so, then it shouldn't be a problem. I know many people who graduated in May and started teaching here in Korea in August. Just make sure you have the time to get your degree apostilled. That's the rough spot with that.

I know this is a lot, but I wanted to try my best to give you my experience working with both Korvia and EPIK. If you have any other questions, or if I didn't answer exactly what you wanted to know, please don't hesitate to ask me.

I'm glad you had a positive time with Korvia.
Personally, Korvia isn't one that I recommend to people, as I had a bad time with them.

However, to the OP, you can apply to EPIK and a recruiting company at the same time, as it will increase your odds of finding work here in Korea.

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 01:47:32 PM »
I've had good results with Korvia, and I know they have city hall funded public schools in good aresa that wouldn't be available through Epik. On the flip side, I have a friend that tried them and didn't have a great impression.  They didn't seem too interested in him and just let him dangle.  On that note, you'll pick up pretty quickly on if they're going to go to bat for you.  If they seem to respond late and aren't motivated on your behalf then move on. 

Offline SeoulAlone

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 02:43:32 PM »
TBH, it's hit or miss.  I contacted Korvia first and was flat out rejected.  It was no more than 20 minutes after I emailed them (Korvia) all my information and I was sent a "Hello, you are not the type of candidate we are looking for.  Thank you for your time."  Umm, okay?!  ha ha ha  Applied directly with EPIK and was hired.  And I'm not the type of candidate that most employers look for but EPIK wanted me (probably desperate, but hey! it's cool!) and I got the green light two days after my interview. 

It's up to you whether you want some one to hold your hand (recruiter) or receive no help (EPIK) and learn to function on your own.  People also say that Korea won't hire older persons.  Well, that's not true, cuz I'm an "older" person.  Nor am I pretty or sprightly. 

And from what I've hear, EPIK will know if you applied through more than one recruiter or directly with them.  Just pick one.  You're chances are better then most with a BS since yours is within the education field. 

Offline Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 03:22:38 PM »
TBH, it's hit or miss.  I contacted Korvia first and was flat out rejected.  It was no more than 20 minutes after I emailed them (Korvia) all my information and I was sent a "Hello, you are not the type of candidate we are looking for.  Thank you for your time."  Umm, okay?!  ha ha ha  Applied directly with EPIK and was hired.  And I'm not the type of candidate that most employers look for but EPIK wanted me (probably desperate, but hey! it's cool!) and I got the green light two days after my interview. 

It's up to you whether you want some one to hold your hand (recruiter) or receive no help (EPIK) and learn to function on your own.  People also say that Korea won't hire older persons.  Well, that's not true, cuz I'm an "older" person.  Nor am I pretty or sprightly. 

And from what I've hear, EPIK will know if you applied through more than one recruiter or directly with them.  Just pick one.  You're chances are better then most with a BS since yours is within the education field.

For me, I applied with Korvia, the woman who interviewed seemed to like me a lot and was sure she'd find something for me. A couple days after she was meant to get back to me, I contacted her to see what was going on. Nothing yet, but to be patient, and wait a bit longer.
I emailed a couple more times over 2 - 3 weeks, still nothing. Then, they stopped answering my emails haha.
I tried applying with them again 1.5 years ago, and got a personalized rejection letter before even getting an interview.
It basically said, last time they felt I wasn't a good enough candidate to work in Korea, and they doubt that I would have changed enough to be accepted to work here now.
Jokes on them, cause I found a new public school job and have been here 1.5 years, and I got asked if I could renew again, just 3 months into this contract haha.

Offline MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 07:41:15 AM »
Korea job recruiters are really flaky and unreliable whether they are based in Korea or in the West. The ones in Korea are basically mercenaries and they have high turnover so someone who is working with you can suddenly disappear and nobody will get back to you. Reputation often doesn't matter, I've applied to recruiters with a good reputation and they never wanted anything to do with me, then applied to no-name recruiters and they got me good jobs.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline CallinIn

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:09:21 AM »
As you have plenty of responses to the beginning of you problem, I will reply to the latter half.

YES, there may be an issue if you apply to a recruiter and EPiK separately. EPiK is basically a default for recruiters to refer you to first and if EPiK receives multiple applications, they might disqualify you. I've met plenty of people who got into EPiK through Korvia and they loved it, but it really isn't necessary. To me, it's more like a social thing. You get an additional support system with them, if everything goes well.

Now you MAY be able to request that they don't send an app to EPiK and they MAY listen, but they might not. So it's up to you in the end.

Offline Allpointseast

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 11:22:09 PM »
   Korvia may be okay, because I know people who got good results through them. However, they do tend to automatically reject people over 30 or 35, and so I suspect they may discriminate in other ways too.

What I can say is that if they get back to you immediately and are very interested in your application and send you the EPIK form when you have contacted them online, that that is a very good sign. You will probably be okay with them.
   If they take a while to get back to you, you should try other recruiters.

Offline m.corless

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 03:04:09 AM »
Hopefully this answers your actual question, I'm not sure that anyone really has...
First thing is be honest with Korvia that you aren't looking to apply to EPIK with them because most likely that is the program they will push you towards first at this time of year. Public school programs that they work with directly and hagwons have a much faster hiring process, so you could get an answer back from another program or school before you hear from EPIK. At that point you will have to make a decision to submit your documents or wait it out with EPIK. Also know that because the direct hiring practices are quicker, they usually start later. While EPIK Fall opens in February, hagwons will be thinking about March and April for the next little while. It's probably worth it to apply to an agency if you want something outside of EPIK and see what options they have for you. It might be that they say you'll have to wait a bit for your preferred timeline. It won't hurt your chances with EPIK to be working on another program's application as well. It will just be about whether they want to assist you/think you are a candidate they can place somewhere.

Offline danidevinenz

• Newgookin
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 07:10:20 AM »
This may be a little off topic but I wasn't sure I should make a whole thread about it, has anyone been able to access the fall 2019 form?? It says the application form is available but in the download section I can't see anywhere to download it!

EDIT: It's there now, must just have a few days between changing the forms :)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 04:26:36 PM by danidevinenz »