January 22, 2019, 09:33:24 PM

Author Topic: Not renewing = penalty black mark on English teachers  (Read 1898 times)

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
Re: Not renewing = penalty black mark on English teachers
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 12:56:46 PM »
For more clarification.  I was told that Gyeonggi province of education (GPoE) has a policy that does not allow for internal transfers regardless if you renew your contract or not.   WOW.   Other provinces do not have this policy and internal transfer is possible.   This is hard to believe.   I believe this policy came into effect as recent as this past March 2018 school year.

I've spoken with many people via email and phone and to be honest, it sounds like there's just a lot of confusion and misunderstandings and not everyone seems to understand or know exactly how everything works.  There's massive confusion about these policies, schools, EPIK and actual Provinces of Education (ie. GPoE, SMOE).   

I'm still trying to get it sorted out.  I was also part of that GEPIK switching over to EPIK ordeal and the huge amount of inconveniences that event also put on GEPIK teachers like me who have been serving with GEPIK for a long time..... we didn't get a renewal bonus even though I renewed at my same school because TECHNICALLY it was not a renewal but a new contract because it was previously GEPIK and now turned EPIK.   At that time, I thought the same thing.  Why loyal, long-time GEPIK teachers who have an excellent record got penalized during that transition?  For doing nothing wrong and nothing in our control, the education system shuffles things up and made it a huge problem for us.  We had to re-apply (get all the documents again), forfeit a renewal bonus, and possibly be relocated to a new school (fortunately for me at the time, I was able to get placed right back at my same school I've always been).

Wow Persimmon14.  May I ask what do you think went wrong with your school?  Why are they so bent out of shape over re-signing you and/or allowing you to transfer to another school.  I remember when I lost funding at my first public school that they went out of their way and made phones calls to a bunch of schools around the province (and a few even outside of of Gyeonggi-do) They managed to land me within Gyeonggi-do for a school that the vps were both good friends with each other.    It seems like your school is really trying to send the hint to you that maybe you should leave Korea all together.  Which to me doesn't seem fair.  :huh:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:40:41 AM by Piggydee »

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 05:19:48 PM »
Wow Persimmon14.  May I ask what do you think went wrong with your school?  Why are they so bent out of shape over re-signing you and/or allowing you to transfer to another school.  I remember when I lost funding at my first public school that they went out of their way and made phones calls to a bunch of schools around the province (and a few even outside of of Gyeonggi-do) They managed to land me within Gyeonggi-do for a school that the vps were both good friends with each other.  I also know of another friend of mine who is being transferred to another school, which according to her she says she believe she was let go from her main school because the new principal there didn't like her.  But THEY STILL managed to find her another school in a region close by to her current school.   It seems like your school is really trying to send the hint to you that maybe you should leave Korea all together.  Which to me doesn't seem fair.  :huh:

According to the OP (and also another poster in this thread), it doesn't sound like the situation is specific to the OP's school; it sounds like it's just a recent policy that apparently went into effect for all public schools in Gyeonggi-do. I guess it's just unfortunate/unlucky for NETs at public schools in Gyeonggi-do who wish to stay/renew (whether at the same public school or at a different public school in Gyeonggi-do).

For more clarification.  I was told that Gyeonggi province of education (GPoE) has a policy that does not allow for internal transfers regardless if you renew your contract or not.   WOW.   Other provinces do not have this policy and internal transfer is possible.   This is hard to believe.   I believe this policy came into effect as recent as this past March 2018 school year.

I know that for Gyeonggi-do we were only given the option to either renew with our school or leave.  They took away the option to transfer within the province this year.   You used to be able to transfer within the province w/o re-applying (I'm pretty sure) but this year it was either renew or leave (and re-apply to EPIK all together).

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2019, 07:32:29 AM »
Wait I'm still confused.  It seems as if OP did want to renew with her school but they said no (which is the reason that I think we'd all like to know) but then OP asked to be transferred to another school and her school doesn't want to allow her the ability to do that.   

I mean I wanted to renew at the school I've been at so far for 3 years.  And I was able to. Other people have been allowed to transfer within the EPIK network.  So why can’t  OP be allowed to do the same, if her and her school aren't a match made in heaven!?
 :huh:  Am I missing something?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:41:35 AM by Piggydee »

Offline frannyesl

• Explorer
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 09:05:23 AM »
I was told the same thing in Chungnam (direct hire with Korean Horizons, not technically an EPIK application).
It sounds like the transfer option depends on provinces.

I know one teacher in my small town (eup 읍) who moved to a different school in the county (gun 군) because their contract ended very close to the time that another teacher was leaving, and they specifically requested with the county education office to move to that school.

My renewal form had only options to renew or not renew at my school. There was no mention of transfer, and when I specifically emailed my recruiter about it, I was told that I would have to reapply through EPIK (or a province) if I wanted to teach in a different place. My request was not about tranferring within the county, but within the province (do 도), which was the office that my application process and Skype interview were conducted through.

The teacher before me actually did reapply and advised me when I inquired about the process that rather than getting all of my documents issued again, I could contact the education office and request the documents from my initial application. Very useful information for anyone who's considering moving from their school. I left it too late in the year (and had already told my school that I would renew) so decided to stay on at my school, but definitely start thinking about getting your documents and reapplying about halfway through your contract if you want options.

OP, that sucks. Sounds very Korean-style last-minute though. I would put it down to this and reforms in the NET system rather than a black mark per se. Try not to stress, you'll figure out a solution ~

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 09:41:45 AM »

Wait I'm still confused.  It seems as if OP did want to renew with her school but they said no (which is the reason that I think we'd all like to know) but then OP asked to be transferred to another school and her school doesn't want to allow her the ability to do that.   

I mean I wanted to renew at the school I've been at so far for 3 years.  And I was able to.  I have a friend who doesn't dig the new principal at her school and so they came to an agreement to have her transfer within the EPIK network.  So why canít  OP be allowed to do the same, if her and her school aren't a match made in heaven!?

You're missing something alright.  Common decency.  It takes a pretty miserable person to take delight in some random person's misfortune.  Don't try and pretend your gloating is sympathy and a desire to help.  You're not trying to understand for the sake of assisting.  You've at least twice tried to steer the narrative towards the school having it out for this person  You have no idea if that is the case, but you seem to enjoy the fact this person's public school job is in peril while letting us all know (in thread after thread after thread) that you work at a public school.  And again, making an effort to convince us (obviously yourself) that your school likes, they really, really like you. 

Piggydee: "(which is the reason that I think we'd all like to know)"  I take it this mangled use of English is meant that you (not all of us) would like to know what really happened to cause the school not to renew him?  Why?  It's none of your business and is not remotely germane to the OP's situation.  It just highlights that you're in this thread just to satisfy some need for gossip at the OP's expense.   There might be nothing more to his departure than a clash of personalities.  Counter to your needless specualtion it is highly unlikely his school is trying to run him out of Korea.  Talk about melodrama! If you think you're so valued at your PS that you would come out on top if a regular Korean teacher developed an issue with you, you're fooling yourself.  I like my job, but in terms of seniority and leverage, we are at the bottom.   

There are still thousands of public school NETS in the country.  You don't walk on rarefied air PiggyDee.  Especially on a website that caters to loads of NETS. 

Online oglop

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 10:02:03 AM »
at my old public school there were 3 native teachers (including myself). i worked for SMOE, but the other 2 were direct hires. anyway, we got a new principal and he decided to scrap all english-related stuff at school (who knows why- parents sent their kids to that school BECAUSE it was english-focused). the 2 other native teachers were not going to have their contracts renewed, but they weren't told this. one korean teacher felt bad and let them know (in front of the whole office for some reason, which is insane and unprofessional in itself) a couple of months before their contracts ended. the principal had told the korean staff not to let the native teachers know until a week or so before contract renewal that they were to be let go - for no reason, as far as anyone could work out, apart from the fact the principal is a complete cnut, and he enjoyed making people miserable. it would have made it really difficult for them to find a new position, as they'd have missed the hiring period for most positions.

one of the native teachers had worked at the school for over 10 years, and he was treated like a piece of shit. imagine that.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:05:16 AM by oglop »

Online MayorHaggar

• The Legend
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 10:37:37 AM »

one of the native teachers had worked at the school for over 10 years, and he was treated like a piece of shit. imagine that.

Koreans slave away at jobs until they are around 45 and then they get fired and replaced by young people. Korean employers already see Korean workers as replaceable and disposable, combine this attitude with common Korean xenophobia and you see a lot of NETs get treated like garbage. No foreigner in Korea should expect any job to be long-term.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2019, 10:45:06 AM »

I mean I wanted to renew at the school I've been at so far for 3 years.  And I was able to.  I have a friend who doesn't dig the new principal at her school and so they came to an agreement to have her transfer within the EPIK network.  So why canít  OP be allowed to do the same, if her and her school aren't a match made in heaven!?

You're missing something alright.  Common decency.  It takes a pretty miserable person to take delight in some random person's misfortune.  Don't try and pretend your gloating is sympathy and a desire to help.  You're not trying to understand for the sake of assisting.  You've at least twice tried to steer the narrative towards the school having it out for this person  You have no idea if that is the case, but you seem to enjoy the fact this person's public school job is in peril while letting us all know (in thread after thread after thread) that you work at a public school.  And again, making an effort to convince us (obviously yourself) that your school likes, they really, really like you. 

Piggydee: "(which is the reason that I think we'd all like to know)"  I take it this mangled use of English is meant that you (not all of us) would like to know what really happened to cause the school not to renew him?  Why?  It's none of your business and is not remotely germane to the OP's situation.  It just highlights that you're in this thread just to satisfy some need for gossip at the OP's expense.   There might be nothing more to his departure than a clash of personalities.  Counter to your needless specualtion it is highly unlikely his school is trying to run him out of Korea.  Talk about melodrama! If you think you're so valued at your PS that you would come out on top if a regular Korean teacher developed an issue with you, you're fooling yourself.  I like my job, but in terms of seniority and leverage, we are at the bottom.   

There are still thousands of public school NETS in the country.  You don't walk on rarefied air PiggyDee.  Especially on a website that caters to loads of NETS.

Wow OnNut1 are you having a bad day?  I know that we are not top priority here in Korea.  I got that since day one.  But you are free to think what you want about me.  Even if it's as something as false as my school hating me.  Feel free.  Have a good day. ;D

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2019, 11:21:08 AM »
As Waygook's resident troll (As some believe me to be :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:)
I was in no way gloating about the unfortunate circumstances of OP.  But hey think what you want.  Free Internet.  Or as Kanye says "FREE THOUGHT."  I think any of us INCLUDING MYSELF can be in a situation where we have been with a school for a number of years and get a new co-teacher, principal, or vice principal that just doesn't vibe with us OR VICE VERSA.  Hence why I'm always on here b***ing about how it's not right that just because someone is pretty or young or of a certain race they get preference .  So what are we kicked out of the EPIK network for reasons that are beyond our control??!  That's what I'm asking about.  So calm down. 

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2019, 12:35:51 PM »
Piggydee: Wow OnNut1 are you having a bad day?  I know that we are not top priority here in Korea.  I got that since day one.  But you are free to think what you want about me.  Even if it's as something as false as my school hating me.  Feel free.  Have a good day.

Having a good day, but a little bored.  Long vacation begins tomorrow.  Why would I be having a bad day?  Pointing out that you seem to be taking one person's misfortune and trying to turn it into a scandalous topic  would not be indicative of a bad day.  I feel for the guy that has had the rug pulled out from under him after several years.  Depending on his situation that could be life altering.  I had no constructive help so offered none.  You also have no constructive advice and are clearly, by your responses, just being gossipy.  I think it's a crappy thing to do.  Especially the repeated implications that his school has in it for him based on nothing whatsoever.  Just calling you out on being such a supportive member of the community.

I have no opinion on whether your school likes or dislikes you, and I offered none.  I just drew attention to the fact that you regularly bring up the fact that you are at a public school, you've been renewed, or that they like you.  Seems like you need to keep telling yourself that.

You have a great day also. 

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2019, 12:52:13 PM »

I have no opinion on whether your school likes or dislikes you, and I offered none.  I just drew attention to the fact that you regularly bring up the fact that you are at a public school, you've been renewed, or that they like you.  Seems like you need to keep telling yourself that.

You have a great day also.

You say you have no opinion yet you say a glib snarky remark at the end.  Sounds pretty bitter if you ask me, but you probably weren't asking me because you are just the innocent bystander lurking on this forum who likes to feel better about themselves by telling other people how much they are awful human beings. ;D  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Anyhow, the one decent point you made was that WE ALL( INCLUDING MYSELF) could have the rug pulled out from underneath us.  And I find it very unfair that OP IS NOT EVEN GIVEN THE CHANCE TO BE ALLOWED TO TRANSFER!!  We should all be allowed to move to other schools if the school we are at doesn't seem right for us.  I would like to be given that chance.  And I asked what could have gone wrong to better understand the situation.  OP doesn't seem to give exact details and that's fine.  Not losing sleep over it and unbothered.  I just find the whole situation unfair and I want to know how it is possible that we would be asked to delay reapplying for EPIK if any of us were in that situation.  And I do agree with you OnNut1,  you do sound very, very bored to want to pay keyboard warrior.  But hey that's what 4chan is for 8).

Offline OnNut81

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2019, 02:47:32 PM »
PiggyDee: Oh, please don't confuse things.  I don't feel better about myself by calling you out.  I just thought you should be called out.  Instead of trying to deflect my criticism by implying I'm bitter (a simple unsophisticated defence) why don't you break down my points and try to rebut in that fashion? 

PiggyDee: It seems like your school is really trying to send the hint to you that maybe you should leave Korea all together.  Which to me doesn't seem fair. 

Did you really think adding the last sentence would disguise the fact you went out of your way to twist the knife?  You say you want to understand the situation more, but obviously the events behind him not being renewed are completely irrelevant to this situation.  It's the policy of not being able to transfer that is germane.  You're focused on the details you think will be more salacious. 

Now, instead of responding in your usual fashion of passive aggressive insults or name calling when you've been called out, why not use concrete points to rebut me?  You're taking the time to respond but only to use deflective insults.  Takes nothing away from the points I've made. 

Offline Piggydee

• The Legend
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2019, 03:07:47 PM »

PiggyDee: It seems like your school is really trying to send the hint to you that maybe you should leave Korea all together.  Which to me doesn't seem fair. 

I said that because I HAVE BEEN IN THAT BOAT, at the hakwon level.  I've had superiors point blank tell me to my face that they thought "I didn't like kids"  or that "I wasn't attractive enough"  (YEAH REALLY WAS TOLD THAT BY THE A-HOLE DIRECTOR!!)  I know how it is to feel like people here are being damn unfair!  That's why I was wondering what could it have been and I was feeling like OP's school was being very harsh on her or him. 

WHATEVER DUDE, if you want to keep telling yourself that I'm a little gossip girl THEN XOXO BYE HUNTY.  And quote me and calling me out is not going to change the fact that you are dead wrong and I stand by what I said.  Not apologizing for it and if you don't like it, sorry it's bothered you so much that you have to write paragraphs about it.  :rolleyes:   

I'll wait for more quotes from me on how I'm a gossip girl.   8)  You are more than welcomed to keep derailing this conversation.  Since you know you're all about "constructive criticism and dialog that furthers a conversation."

OVER IT.  TALK TO YOURSELF, BY YOURSELF.   8)

Offline Kayos

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »

I said that because I HAVE BEEN IN THAT BOAT, at the hakwon level.  I've had superiors point blank tell me to my face that they thought "I didn't like kids"  or that "I wasn't attractive enough"  (YEAH REALLY WAS TOLD THAT BY THE A-HOLE DIRECTOR!!)  I know how it is to feel like people here are being damn unfair!  That's why I was wondering what could it have been and I was feeling like OP's school was being very harsh on her or him. 

WHATEVER DUDE, if you want to keep telling yourself that I'm a little gossip girl THEN XOXO BYE HUNTY.  And quote me and calling me out is not going to change the fact that you are dead wrong and I stand by what I said.  Not apologizing for it and if you don't like it, sorry it's bothered you so much that you have to write paragraphs about it.  :rolleyes:   

I'll wait for more quotes from me on how I'm a gossip girl.   8)  You are more than welcomed to keep derailing this conversation.  Since you know you're all about "constructive criticism and dialog that furthers a conversation."

OVER IT.  TALK TO YOURSELF, BY YOURSELF.   8)

I have no problems with you being a gossip girl.
I'm on deskwarming duty, the more people most, the more I can read, the easier it is to keep my sanity :p

HashtagPopcorn