January 22, 2019, 08:04:50 PM

Author Topic: MAX vacation days?  (Read 569 times)

Online orange6ur1

• Veteran
MAX vacation days?
« on: December 27, 2018, 04:11:22 PM »
Hi this is a question for those who have been with EPIK for 4yrs+

In our contract, it says that we have to use our renewal vacation days within the first 6 months of the new school year so I wonder, after you’ve been teaching for quite a while, wouldn’t you kind of “max” out on your vacation days in the summer? And then I guess you’d just use it during the school year if you can leave early?

And would that mean that during winter vacation, you still have to desk warm? Or is your school cool with using your vacation days any time?

Just wondering! I guess I always thought that if someone stayed in EPIK long enough, they’d only have to come to school to teach summer/winter camp and then peace out. But then i realized maybe that’s not the case..

Offline DaStrongOne

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Adventurer
Re: MAX vacation days?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 07:04:27 PM »
Renewal days don't stack.

The max currently is your vacation days + 5.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 10:35:45 AM »
Hi this is a question for those who have been with EPIK for 4yrs+

In our contract, it says that we have to use our renewal vacation days within the first 6 months of the new school year so I wonder, after you’ve been teaching for quite a while, wouldn’t you kind of “max” out on your vacation days in the summer? And then I guess you’d just use it during the school year if you can leave early?

And would that mean that during winter vacation, you still have to desk warm? Or is your school cool with using your vacation days any time?

Just wondering! I guess I always thought that if someone stayed in EPIK long enough, they’d only have to come to school to teach summer/winter camp and then peace out. But then i realized maybe that’s not the case..

I use to get 18 days plus 5.  I could take them whenever though it was recommended to be 8 in summer and 10 in winter.  But when I stay in Korea, I take less in summer and bulk them up in winter so I can take long vacations just chilling out and relaxing.  Winter also includes the 5 days renewal which I could take in the previous summer.  But my six month point takes me to late November and so I can take them whenever. 

Online orange6ur1

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 11:30:37 AM »
thanks all! i was totally under the idea that you get 5 additional days every time you renew. so someone who's been with EPIK for 3 years, has 10 EXTRA renewal days (+5/renewed year).

low and behold i was really wrong LOL..im shtoopid. no wonder no one has ever talked about this.  :rolleyes: :sad:

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »
I use to get 18 days plus 5.  I could take them whenever though it was recommended to be 8 in summer and 10 in winter.  But when I stay in Korea, I take less in summer and bulk them up in winter so I can take long vacations just chilling out and relaxing.  Winter also includes the 5 days renewal which I could take in the previous summer.  But my six month point takes me to late November and so I can take them whenever.

Do you mean, you can take vacation anytime during the entire school year? Or, do you mean, you can take vacation whenever the school vacation is in session (i.e., when classes are not in session)? (I'm guessing you probably meant the latter, but yeah -- just asking anyhow.)

Online orange6ur1

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 02:54:38 PM »

Do you mean, you can take vacation anytime during the entire school year? Or, do you mean, you can take vacation whenever the school vacation is in session (i.e., when classes are not in session)? (I'm guessing you probably meant the latter, but yeah -- just asking anyhow.)

ah, i was just wondering if there were any long time EPIKers who have like 30+ vacation days because originally, i thought that every time you renew, you get an additional +5 days :P

turns out..it's just 18 days +5 days for ppl who've taught at EPIk for 2 yrs or 22 years.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 04:32:39 PM »
ah, i was just wondering if there were any long time EPIKers who have like 30+ vacation days because originally, i thought that every time you renew, you get an additional +5 days :P

turns out..it's just 18 days +5 days for ppl who've taught at EPIk for 2 yrs or 22 years.

I was directing my post to hangook77 since it sounded like he was claiming that he can take vacation anytime during the school year, which doesn't sound right to me. I guess he probably meant during school vacations when classes are not in session.

And yeah, vacation days don't carry over to the next contract/year. I've actually never heard of any job in Korea where vacation days carry over to the next year if you don't use them all up.

Offline hangook77

• Expert Waygook
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 12:32:29 PM »

Yes, that was what I meant.  During the winter or summer vacation.  For example many years, I took 5 days in summer and then had 13 days to use in winter.  I was eligible to use my 5 day renewal in summer due to renewing my contract in May, but I often carried that to winter as well.  Some education offices are flexible that way.  Others are not.  But they were strict on the renewal days to be taken after the contract renewed within 6 months, but I usually was a bit over at about 8 months due to my strange renewal time.  I usually did that to accommodate my schools with lots of camps and I like being a lazy @$$ in summer.