February 16, 2019, 04:18:53 PM

Author Topic: Lost package- What's going on, Korea Post?  (Read 462 times)

Offline megitymeg

• Waygookin
Lost package- What's going on, Korea Post?
« on: December 27, 2018, 11:57:37 AM »
Hey! So at the start of November, I sent a package to the UK by surface mail using Korea post. The last update I got was November 19th telling me it was put on a ship. I have had nothing since.

At the start of December I sent another package to the UK and today I got a message saying it is now there...

So now I'm worried about the one I sent back in November. 8 weeks is too long, right? So I want to know what steps I can take next for finding where the hell my stuff is! I haven't been able to find any information on lost package using Korea post surface mail....

It isn't insured since it wasn't too valuable- but it was a gift for someone back home so I hope I can track it

Offline #basedcowboyshirt

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
Re: Lost package- What's going on, Korea Post?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2018, 12:11:00 PM »
Hey! So at the start of November, I sent a package to the UK by surface mail using Korea post. The last update I got was November 19th telling me it was put on a ship. I have had nothing since.

At the start of December I sent another package to the UK and today I got a message saying it is now there...

So now I'm worried about the one I sent back in November. 8 weeks is too long, right? So I want to know what steps I can take next for finding where the hell my stuff is! I haven't been able to find any information on lost package using Korea post surface mail....

It isn't insured since it wasn't too valuable- but it was a gift for someone back home so I hope I can track it

8-12 weeks is standard for surface post. It is extraordinarily slow, but reliable. I've sent about twenty packages by surface parcel over the last few years, and never had any problems - but they did occasionally take between two and three months to arrive. If you check the tracking information, you'll usually see the date which it was loaded onto the ship and departed Korea, and then an expected arrival at port date for the destination. This is a very rough estimate of a date, and it can vary quite a bit.

Once it's processed through the port, tracking will update both on Korea Post and the destination country's postal tracking service, and at that point it will enter the destination country's postal system.

The parcel that you sent at the beginning of December was - I'm guessing - not by surface parcel, as that method doesn't send delivery status updates to your phone. So, it would be a lot faster than surface parcel, and more likely to arrive sooner.

If you have the tracking numbers for both, you don't need to worry about it going missing - again, surface parcel is atrociously slow, but it is consistent and reliable. And extremely cheap. Which is a nice bonus.

But air parcel or EMS if you're in a hurry are your best options, generally. Especially if you want something to be delivered quickly.

Offline megitymeg

• Waygookin
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2018, 12:15:13 PM »
8-12 weeks is standard for surface post. It is extraordinarily slow, but reliable.

The parcel that you sent at the beginning of December was - I'm guessing - not by surface parcel, as that method doesn't send delivery status updates to your phone. So, it would be a lot faster than surface parcel, and more likely to arrive sooner.

The December one was surface mail too (no way am I paying the air mail prices!)... maybe it got lucky on a faster ship!

There is no rush for the other package, I'm mostly worried about it going missing. I can be patient for it's arrival though haha! Thank you for your reply :)

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2018, 12:16:13 PM »
8-12 weeks is standard for surface post. It is extraordinarily slow, but reliable.

The December one was surface mail too (no way am I paying the air mail prices!)... maybe it got lucky on a faster ship!

There is no rush for the other package, I'm mostly worried about it going missing. I can be patient for it's arrival though haha! Thank you for your reply :)

Gonna send you a PM - just a moment.

Offline Mezoti97

• The Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2018, 02:56:05 PM »
If you have the tracking numbers for both, you don't need to worry about it going missing - again, surface parcel is atrociously slow, but it is consistent and reliable. And extremely cheap. Which is a nice bonus.

While not Korea Post, I ordered something from overseas a little over a year ago, and even though the package had a tracking number, it still got lost and I never received the package. The last update of the tracking showed that the package had departed the country where I ordered it from, but then there was never any new updates after that and I never received it.

• Expert Waygook
  • My ring is a mansion.
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2018, 03:01:39 PM »

I ordered something from overseas a little over a year ago, and even though the package had a tracking number, it still got lost and I never received the package. The last update of the tracking showed that the package had departed the country where I ordered it from, but then there was never any new updates after that.

Different shipping methods have different levels of detail in their reported tracking events. Things shipped by international air or surface parcel or EMS with have frequent updates from both departure and destination country.

Cheaper shipping methods, such as those used by most online retailers, often may not be supported by the receiving country, and only track until the package leaves the origin country.

Offline lifeisgood6447

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 07:41:05 AM »

While not Korea Post, I ordered something from overseas a little over a year ago, and even though the package had a tracking number, it still got lost and I never received the package. The last update of the tracking showed that the package had departed the country where I ordered it from, but then there was never any new updates after that and I never received it.

This has happened to me. Evidently the post man didn't leave a sticky note, or someone stole it (the note), as he claims  :rolleyes: Considering the place it was ordered to be delivered, it is HIGHLY unlikely that it would be taken. I contacted the post office and then contacted the area's package distribution center. They had the lone battered up package sitting on the shelf in the warehouse. I had to go there with my ID and sign to get it. All ended well, even it is was a hassle.

Online VanIslander

• Moderator LVL 1
  • Hero of Waygookistan
  • Lovin' the southernmost islands
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
1. I have had packages lost TWICE when in Canada. Once it was when I mailed a birthday gift to my girlfriend's mom. I regret word of it preceeding the non-arrival. I was friggin' called a liar, I have heard.

2. My dad between 2002-2008 sent me every contraband I could wish for through regular mail, delivered by Korean Post. His homemade hooch, Hungarian sausages (sometimes awesome, sometimes rotting!) and his garden produce (fresh cherries, peppers and heirloom tomatoes).

3. I mailed 22 packages to Jeju Island in 2009 when I moved there for 7 years, and every one arrived.

4. I taebeked shipments of purchases at least six or seven or more times over the years. I guess I could have gone Korea Post but someone showed me a taebek shipping store in Dongdaemun and I simply take my purchases there once a year when I need to ship purchases out of the crowded capital to the smaller community I choose to live in in the southern region.