March 21, 2019, 05:44:19 PM

Ohmyzip.com From US To Korea - $7.50 (LB)
[SHOP US, SHIP KOREA] From $7.50 (1LB) + $1.74 per pound only! Use the Ohmyzip U.S. a tax-free state address as your shipping address at checkout. Sign up now to get a 10% off coupon on shipping. <Freight Forwarding Service / Courier Service>
http://www.ohmyzip.com/

Author Topic: Increased Vacation Days  (Read 9479 times)

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
Re: Increased Vacation Days
« Reply #180 on: March 13, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »
They are contractually and legally obliged to give you your 26 days. Doesnít matter how much they protest it or donít like it...not your problem.

Youíll need to be very firm with this if you really want it.

Check the contract for specific wording along the lines of "as long is it does not interfere with normal school operations." 
The applies to the scheduling of holidays, not to whether you get them or not.
Schools *must* give you the contractually allotted number of days off, but they don't necessarily have to give them to you according to your whims. Makes sense, I guess. :undecided:

Online robin_teacher

• Super Waygook
« Reply #181 on: March 14, 2019, 11:39:39 AM »
They are contractually and legally obliged to give you your 26 days. Doesnít matter how much they protest it or donít like it...not your problem.

Check the contract for specific wording along the lines of "as long is it does not interfere with normal school operations." 
Schools *must* give you the contractually allotted number of days off, but they don't necessarily have to give them to you according to your whims. Makes sense, I guess. :undecided:

As always, remember that labor law trumps whatever is written in your contract.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #182 on: March 14, 2019, 11:48:51 AM »

Yeah, good point. let me rephrase:

Schools *must* give you the contractually allotted number of days off (where the number of contract days are equal to or higher than the minimum described in Korean labour laws), but they don't necessarily have to schedule them to you according to your whims.

(this now sounds very lawyerese.  :sad: )

Offline Ronnie Omelettes

• Veteran
« Reply #183 on: March 14, 2019, 11:59:06 AM »

yes, but almost all of the time our contracts are way more generous than what Labour Law says.  like I said in the previous page, Labour Law covers everyone here from the hired builders to the directors.  so we have it quite cushty  in public school. 

if your hagwon wrote in the contract that you can have 'ten days paid leave', they could give you the national holidays off (bar May 1st) and the weekends (barring them not mentioning working at weekends)  and then if you went to Labour to complain that you got no actual holiday (like five days in the summer), you'd lose because they did technically give you paid leave during the year.  It's an extreme example but could happen.  wouldn't be a very popular school and they'd not get many teachers after, but they could do that. 

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2019, 08:02:22 AM »

That refers to school operations during term time. Anything outside of the school term period is extracurricular, so your contractually and legally entitled vacation trumps any plans the school might have for you during this period.

So yes, as long as your paid leave does not interfere with regular classes during term time, you can take them.

Online alexisalex

• Super Waygook
« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2019, 08:23:00 AM »
Yeah your vacation time takes precedence over camps.  If there isn't enough time to take your vacation days then the school will have to either shorten the camp or not have it altogether.

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2019, 12:07:57 PM »
Yeah your vacation time takes precedence over camps.  If there isn't enough time to take your vacation days then the school will have to either shorten the camp or not have it altogether.

Just to be clear: the fact that you get your allotted holiday days take precedence over camps.
Camp scheduling takes precedence over your vacation scheduling.  :sad:

Online tylerthegloob

• Expert Waygook
  • gg wp
« Reply #187 on: March 15, 2019, 12:20:11 PM »

Just to be clear: the fact that you get your allotted holiday days take precedence over camps.
Camp scheduling takes precedence over your vacation scheduling.  :sad:

i'm not sure how much it really means, but this year busan MOE told us that they told the schools to schedule camps around our vacation, not vice versa (as it was in the past).

Online kyndo

• Moderator LVL 1
  • The Legend
« Reply #188 on: March 15, 2019, 12:21:46 PM »
i'm not sure how much it really means, but this year busan MOE told us that they told the schools to schedule camps around our vacation, not vice versa (as it was in the past).

Jealous!
Good weather *and* an accommodating MOE!

Online waygo0k

• The Legend
« Reply #189 on: March 17, 2019, 12:23:00 PM »
Something has to give...either the school violates the law by not giving you your legally and contractually allocated 26 days, or they break which rules/laws exactly by missing a few days of camp?

Letís not forget, many schools donít schedule camp dates at the start of term, those dates are pencilled in over the course of the semester based on teacher availability and plans. So if your school gives you crappy dates, itís probably because the other teachers have booked their holidays for the most convenient dates and youíre stuck with whateverís left on babysitting duty.

Even if your school did allocate camp dates before the start of term, you most probably werenít involved in the planning process (these things get very heated, with some teachers throwing fits and outright refusing to play ball)...so again, most people would have gotten what they want, with you left with the crumbs.

Online Kayos

• Hero of Waygookistan
« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2019, 08:05:34 AM »
Something has to give...either the school violates the law by not giving you your legally and contractually allocated 26 days, or they break which rules/laws exactly by missing a few days of camp?

Letís not forget, many schools donít schedule camp dates at the start of term, those dates are pencilled in over the course of the semester based on teacher availability and plans. So if your school gives you crappy dates, itís probably because the other teachers have booked their holidays for the most convenient dates and youíre stuck with whateverís left on babysitting duty.

Even if your school did allocate camp dates before the start of term, you most probably werenít involved in the planning process (these things get very heated, with some teachers throwing fits and outright refusing to play ball)...so again, most people would have gotten what they want, with you left with the crumbs.

My current school will schedule camp around my vacation no problem.
The head teacher, or my co-T, will be at school during the camp week. Both speak good English, so it doesn't really matter which one is there.
However, we only do 5 days, so it's easy to fit around each vacation period. Usually I just do it the first full week once vacation starts, to get it over with, but it depends on my plans.